iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Latest mill upgrade

Started by ErikC, February 08, 2009, 11:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikC

I worked on a little project with my Peterson a few weeks ago. It had the 13hp Honda, and I put on an older 23hp Kohler. What a difference.  :)

This kohler is solid cast iron, with twin horizontal cylinders and was tuned up and new rings when I got it. Paid $350 ;D

The old honda motor mount and adjuster to Kohler adapter. I was able to use the old stainless hardware that came with the mill.

I used a generator frame and fuel tank for my accessories. Cut it down to the right size and rewelded it. The tank holds 5.5 gallons. I don't need gravity feed, but the in-bed fuel tank was pretty expensive. This is bolted on and doesn't vibrate at all, so works good.

I have been using a coleman water jug from the hardware store, I think they cost eight bucks. I made this valve, and if the jug needs replaced I can just keep using the old valve on the new jug. Way more durable than the plastic valve. The battery fits in a little compartment behind that. I also had to get a new pulley, and painted everything Farmer Green. Total cost about $500
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

TinMan

Meadows Miller

Gday

Top Job Erik ;) ;D ;D 8) and only $350 mate  :o ;) ;D
I was yaking to the old man about upgading the lucas from the 20hp briggs pull start to a 30 hp kohler elec start when we picked the mill up but only having 75 hrs on the clock  ;) and 140 now and 15000 bft later  ;D 8)  I dont mind only having the 20 briggs and pull starting it starts first pull every time and saws great  ;D  so i dont see things changing for a looong while yet mate  ;) ;D But i still think it would make a great chopsaw motor so you never know  ;) :D :D :D ;D
Keep up the good work Mate  ;D ;D 8)

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Chuck White

Looks like it's just supposed to be that way!  ;D

Nice looking job! :)

A few more horse power makes quite a difference, and you almost doubled the hp so I'm sure you really noticed a difference. 8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ErikC

Hey Chris, I am as happy about the electric start as I am the added power. My Honda starts good, so I'll find another use for it or sell it. Maybe a big woodsplitter? Pull starting a 20 hp sounds like a chore to me. :o

There is twice the torque on this one, and almost twice the hp. I'm not sure which is helping more, but it has a lot more power for sure. Also the mill vibrates less when it's really working hard. I guess the twin cylinder runs smoother.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Meadows Miller

Gday

I find twins run a hell of alot smoother than a singles probly because the pistons arnt in a vertical plane  ;) ;D

Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

ErikC

Here is a couple of the 1st days after the new motor.

With dad's help, we cut about 3 hours 3 different days. Total of 2250 or so bdft. all of it was doug fir, my neighbors logs. He paid for the 16' 2x6 and the  biggest beams, I kept the rest in trade for falling the trees. Only 2 trees to fall :) He is making a 24 x 12 horse shelter and has 50 more 2 x6 for whatever else. I am framing a chicken coop and covered run. I probably could have put this in the good neighbor thread on the general board instead!

Now there is 6 or 7 inches of snow on everything, and falling fast.

Captain

Congrats on the upgrade Erik.  I looks like you are ready for the snow to melt!

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!