iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Got Water?

Started by Magicman, June 05, 2018, 10:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Or maybe I should have said Gott water.  :)  During the past 15 years I have dealt with many different water options, some of which were OK and some not so OK.

I have done the 3 gallon Gott cask when I froze blocks of ice and used cups.  This sometimes presented a problem because many times I furnish the tailgunners with water so more cups.

I tried bottled water in that Gott cask but there was limited space plus the need for ice.

During a recent road trip I bought a "Yeti knockoff" Ozark cooler from Wal-Mart, mainly because I ain't/can't buy a Yeti.  I also bought a vacuum insulated 25 oz. SS "thermos" bottle.

Yesterday I filled the insulated bottle with ice and topped it off with cold water.  The new Ozark cooler contained frozen bottled water, water, and Gatorade.  I added bottled water to the "thermos" as I emptied it and it was still over half filled with ice at the end of the day as well as this morning.  This new combination worked very well.

The frozen bottles will need to be rotated into the freezer each night but at least I won't have to deal with ice.  I think that this combination will be a winner, but I have thought that before.  Time will tell.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

When I started with the phone company every truck had a metal 3 gallon water cooler with a paper cup dispenser.  A very few slipped in a adult beverage for diner.  They didn't last long.  Filled it each morning with fresh water and ice.

I've continued the tradition but the cooler is plastic these days.  To make the task easier I had a ice maker for a long time.  I encourage anybody working with me in the summer to drink all the water that they care to.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Magicman

I remember well Larry because my time with "Ma Bell" spanned over 32 years.  I once sat that old metal cask on top of the tool bin and later knocked it off which resulted in a trip to the emergence room and stitches on the side of my head.  Yup, "on the job accident".  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brad_bb

I use a stanley work thermos.  Not the normal farm size one(quart), but they have a bigger half gallon one.  It's a clasp lid not a screw on like the farm one.  It'll keep water cold for a couple days if not left in the sun.  One day in the sun is still cold all day.  It's not enough though for a full day.  I probably drink 5 quarts on a summer day.  I drink a lot in the winter too.  It also helps keep you regular.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Beavertooth

I once saw a guy put 2 pop cycles in a thermos then pour in hot coffee. I ask what he was doing and he said thermos was advertised to keep hot stuff hot and cold stuff cold so he was going to drink his coffee at 9 that morning and his pop cycles that evening when it got hot.  ;D
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

Don_Papenburg

I bought  a one gallon Yeti jug . It keeps things cold for a long time up to two days but you cant drink out of the spout or let the water jiggle in the jug because the plastic lid imparts a bad taste into the water .  I am thinking I will make a stainless lid or one from poly plastic.  That black plastic from china is bad. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

StimW

I bought some Glad 1 qt Freezer containers (light blue color) that I put in the freezer with water in them and end up with nice blocks of ice that I use to go to the beach.  :)
Other non-freezer containers always busted after a few cycles.
These just bow out and then return to normal.
I keep my freezer at 0* and they last well. Ice pick them if you need to.
Did you ever notice how a bag of ice from the store doesn't last?
That is because most keep the merchandiser at 31 1/2* !!  
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Magicman

This 25oz "thermos" bottle is working wonderful.  I filled it with ice yesterday morning and then added cold water (5 bottles) from the Ozark Trails cooler as needed.  It was still over ½ full of ice at the end of the day yesterday.  The frozen water bottles had all about ½ melted so I put all of them back into the freezer last night.

This combination is working better than anything that I have ever used. 

Now it is back to it.....

btulloh

MM, you inspired me to upgrade my water situation.  Walmart does have a good selection of non-Yeti devices to suit every need.  These Ozark trail bottles fit the bill for me.  Available in SS or snazzy colors, including off-white.  

Lot's of good options out there these days without breaking the bank.

While I was out shopping I stopped by HF who just happened to be having a once-in-a-lifetime-this-weekend-only-better-hurry-in-right-now-sale and picked up a few things including this $16 18 volt drill.  I just wanted to see what a $16 drill was like.  It's not a Milwaukee or DeWalt of course, but it is actually ok for my little collection of house tools I keep so I don't have to go down to the shop every time I need to drill a pilot hole or drive a screw at the house.  It'll actually work for that, and there's no chance that it will migrate out of the house to live with the big-boy tools.
HM126

Thank You Sponsors!