iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Seasons have Changed

Started by Corley5, November 11, 2014, 08:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Some pics from late summer to fall and late fall.  I was going to take some of early winter but got out of the weather before I took any.  We ran some firewood this AM before the rain started.  Tomorrow is supposed to be wintry.  Maybe I'll take some  ;D

If you look close you can see the orange marked trees.

Ready for the forwarder.

X marks the spot.  X marked trees are in the log scale portion of the sale prospectus.  Slash marked trees are in the pulp section.

Not many leaves left in this pic taken a couple weeks ago.

I think this was the X marked tree in the previous pic.  There were a dozen of these nice sugar maples on this payment unit that were too big to cut with the Fabtek.  I could have but they're too valuable.  Buyers don't like feed roller tracks on them.  These turned out to be grade logs not veneer but you never know for sure until they're on the ground.  I was going to take more pics but the camera battery was on its last legs after hanging in the harvester for a month.

I cut twelve of these in about four hours one afternoon last week.  I didn't need the reminder but I don't miss running a saw a bit  ;D :)  I waited to cut them until the very end of the unit after all the pulp and smaller trees had been cut and removed.  The dollars from these will pay for the next unit on the sale  8)

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lopet

Nice pics
That's my favorite time of the year being in the woods. Leaves on the ground, no bugs, blue sky , sometimes short sleeves, no mud, no snow.  Too bad it only lasts a few days or only one or two.
So what can you grab, 20" ?
I don't mind running a saw, it keeps me in shape. ;) but sometimes think pushing a few buttons would be nice. :)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Corley5

If I was in "saw shape" it wouldn't be bad but I'm not  :)  This was the first saw work I'd done in a long time.  I like pushing buttons ;D 8)  I was sore when I got in the house that night.  I messed up and with two trees left I returned some phone calls.  I stiffened up in that time.  Those last two about did me in  ;D :D.  I hit the Tylenol and Aleve when I got home  :) 
  It's rated for 18" but you can stuff a 20" into it.  Before I cut these maples by hand I cut some bigger beech by cutting them from both sides.  I wasn't concerned with grade or length as they were destined for firewood.  A couple of them were close to 30".
  Our nice fall weather only lasted a very few days and that was a few days between lots of rain followed by lots more rain.  I haven't even bothered with a log truck in two weeks now because of the shape of the haul road.  We even brought in 50+ yards of pit run gravel and it didn't help much but it's all going to freeze up now which is good  8) 8)

BargeMonkey

I like the harvester pictures, it does seem clean and nice.  ;)  is there that much diff between a 133-153 other than the undercarriage and a touch more reach ?

Corley5

From what I've been told the only difference is the undercarriage.

timberlinetree

Nice pics! Cutting grade/Vermeer makes me have to think a lot, where to cut them up, split log from felling, fiber pull but can't complain about $. Love when the leaves are gone can see marked trees so much better and that when I really start looking around for junk stuff(tractors, trailers anything that's rusty and could use a good home).work safe!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

lumbertick

The booms are 2' longer on the 153's to

Corley5

lumbertick

Ya it sure would be... I just bought a 2800 cord red pine sale I'm loving it

Thank You Sponsors!