iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The log cabin project

Started by Riggs, September 23, 2012, 04:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riggs

I had a guy call me up wanting me to saw two flat sides on some oak logs for an old log cabin that he is trying to refubish. Yeah, I know, why oak?
I told him I'd give it a whirl. I thought I'd share it with the FF.

Here are the first logs he brought me, most are just shy of 20 feet long.

Most were knotty and crooked

This particular log he wanted 3 flat side on. No other dimensions, just 3 flat sides. Heavy, awkward, almost every move had involved the tractor.

He had tried to hand hew this one, first with an axe, then a chainsaw.

I ended up finishing about half of what he brought me. I'll share more as I go.

Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Magicman

In our Southern world, White Oak was the preferred log species for log houses.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Hmm, I be interested to see how this turns out.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

drobertson

Practice makes perfect.  Looks like he made a very good attempt at hand hewing.  White oak is the log for this, as mentioned. It will last for decades if handled properly.  I love hand hewed timbers,  they are timeless, and can be done with time permitted to very close dimensions.    I have always found it to be helpful to cut what a custormer wants, regardless of bias, they are not all dummies after all.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Riggs

I have never seen an old log cabin or barn with oak exposed around here, and I wasn't trying to imply that it was not a good idea. The original cabin was out of pine according to the customer, and built in the late 1800's. Again, I never meant to imply that the customer was anything but right.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Thank You Sponsors!