iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Empress Tree?

Started by jharris4494, January 04, 2019, 04:01:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jharris4494

I am trying to find out what type of tree I am dealing with.  I turn bowls and recently acquired a section of a tree from Vicksburg, MS.  The tree was approx 30 inches in diameter and around 60 feet tall.  The bark is smooth & grey with pock or wart-like marks.  It is lightweight for its size. It was void of any flowers, buds etc.  I am posting a photo of one of the leafs in hopes someone will know.  The most distinct thing I noticed was it's foul odor.  It has a smell like strong animal urine.  The wood turns easily much like pine.  I think it may an Empress Tree, but not sure.

Southside

The picture didn't come across, but the bark description you gave sounds like Hackberry too.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

curdog

No picture, but could be tree of heaven with the smell....

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

BTW, you did get 90% of the way through posting your picture, and it's in your gallery. 

If you go back your gallery and find the picture, there is some code below it to manually insert the picture in a post. 

<br>[img]http://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/53438/IMG_0769.jpg?easyrotate_cache=1546635637[/img]<br>

Which shows as 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Weekend_Sawyer

I went to look at his picture but it must have been deleted?

anyway if it stinks like urine it's probably an ailanthus.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!