iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Old" New HD4000 Woodmizer Kiln

Started by Ronnie Hubbell, February 24, 2009, 11:02:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ronnie Hubbell

Fairly new to the forum but I have gained a wealth of information from you guys. I am in the process of building myself a DH kiln and I would appreciate any input on this situation. I have located a Woodmizer HD4000 kiln pkg. that is still in the boxes but was mfg. in '2002,and was never put together. Assuming it has not been damaged while stored, would there be any major considerations  as to the unit being able to still function as new? The price is of course attractive, but are there other possible regrets to beware of such as improved technology in the last 7 years ?
                                                               Thanks for any input, Ronnie
Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln
Log Master LM1 30HP Manual

Kelvin

Howdy,
Not sure which kiln that is.  Is it like the Nyle?  They make them for some folks.  Or is that the vacum kiln?  If its a dehumidifier kiln, i would think it would be fine.  My Nyle is about 20 years old when i bought it and works fine.  Just make sure you get the instructions as there are a lot of wires.  Maybe someone else will know more about this particular kiln.
Kelvin

scsmith42

Ronnie, I think that you mean a "DH4000", not a "HD4000".

This is a great kiln, and was made for Woodmizer by Nyle.  It would be an excellent investment.  I have one that's around that vintage.

The unit is self contained, so you should not have any issues re storage, unless it was stored in an extremely wet location.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ronnie Hubbell

Thanks Kelvin and Scott for the input. I found out today you're both right. It is built by Nyle with a WM sticker on it. I'm supposed to get it next week so I'll get back with you on how it works out. This forum has helped me tremendously in the past few months as I have been attempting to learn a little about this "Milling" addiction I have contracted. I'm looking forward to attending the Woodmizer open house next month at Arky's place.
                              Really appreciate it, Ronnie
Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WILDSAWMILL

Kascosaw2B

Ronnie Hubbell

Sorry to be so long on the reply. The kiln worked out terrific. I just didn't have any parameters available for drying a load of mesquite, so I just "winged" it . Went about it using a pretty conservative schedule and it worked out fine. I did find out that the mesquite doesn't like to start giving up it's moisture content until the temps get up aroung 110 degrees. I just kept creeping up on the temps until finally at 110 to 115 I finally started making some water, then monitored it and made small adjustments along the way as needed. My entire load was about 9/4 slabs so it took about 9 weeks to move it from 53% at start to avg. of 10% finished. Been using a bunch of it lately milling it for furniture and it turned out beautiful and great to work with.
Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LeeB

There is a fellow in Bertram that does mequite furniture that dries his own mesquite that I used to saw for. He had a DH kiln also. I think his name ws Craig Langstrom. The name of his shop was Texas Mesquite products. You might try contacting him about schedules

edit
       (866) 300-7656 

AKA
Texas Mesquite Co

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ronnie Hubbell

Thanks Lee, He has a nice website and looks to build some pretty nice furniture. Maybe I'll try to stop by his shop next time I'm over that way and see if he has time to talk a bit. I don't think I'll have much trouble with my next load coming up pretty soon. Next one will be much larger tan the first. I'm pretty sure I met you at Arky's back during the WM demo. I think you said you were in the oil field line of work ? Anyway, thanks for the contact.
Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

LeeB

Yep. That was me. Craig does do nice work. Real pricey though. I have one of his chairs that I trade for some sawing, $900 worth. I really liked sawing for him. He would tell me what he wanted and leave me to get the best product from his logs that I could. He liked the way I cut and we had a like eye for what was 'right'. I tried to get him to buy my old mill when i left, but he said he just didn't have time to saw and make furniture too. Stop in and talk to him. Really nice guy. Tell him I said hi.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

scsmith42

Wow - talk about a small world... I met Craig a few years ago while on a motorcycle trip in Texas, and have been to his shop in Bertram.  He does indeed make some really great furniture from mesquite.  I think that I have one of his cards somewhere in my desk.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LeeB

Thank You Sponsors!