iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer SimpleSet versus Accuset

Started by WoodenHead, April 30, 2013, 09:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

When I sell my LT28 I'll have some money to make a few upgrades to my LT40 manual.  One thing I've been interested in is setworks, either the SimpleSet or AccuSet.  For those of you that have Accuset, I was wondering how many of its features do you use?  For those of you who have SimpleSet, are you happy with it?  Or wishing you had Accuset?

drobertson

Woodenhead, I have the accusett II, I use the most of the functions at varing times, mostly the pattern mode, but have learned that the auto up feature in conjunction with the pattern reduces the amount of waste boards, however, this should be understood that this really only works for me before all four faces have been opened.  and mainly when cutting 2x stock.  There have been questions I have had concerning the simple set  that have yet to be answered, but I'm sure that the folks with these units have learned how to minimize waste boards.  As mentioned from previous posts, the accuset, can spoil one, but does not completely take away the need for pre planning the cut for any log.   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Being able to choose would be nice.  I have the old SetWorks, but since I don't know any better, I make it work for me just fine.  I have to have a cheat sheet to give me the starting points for various thicknesses of cants and lumber.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Clay Hound

I have the Accuset 2 also.  I love it! :) :)  I use the pattern mode about 80% of the time.  To me the main advantage of the Accuset 2 in pattern mode is that it indexes the head from the bed so that you are assured that the last cut will be the correct thickness.  I have not used the simple set so I can't really comment on the pros and cons of that one.  I did run my mill without setworks when I first got it and I can assure you that either option would be a tremendous improvement!
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

DR_Buck

I have Accuset II also and use the pattern mode most of the time.  I don't think the cost of Accuset will be a wise expenditure for a manual mill.   If you had hydraulics where you could take advantage of the speed gains Accuset would be the way to go.    I can't comment on Setworks since I've never used one.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Contractor1

I have simple set works on the lt40 hydraulic I bought this month. I am new to sawing but the set works are very accurate. I use them after I get the cant squared.

wwsjr

I have never used Simple Set, cannot comment. I have used both original Accuset and Accuset 2, would not want to saw without using it. I use settings from the very first cut. As I open log I use Auto Down to desired thickness as I cut the first flitch to be edged. If I turn 180*, then go to pattern and the cant is sized to cut accurately all the way to bed. I usually set Pattern on this cut to width of finished boards. If I turn 90*, go to Auto Down to cut slab and first flitch, then Pattern for remaining two sides to get width and thickness of boards. EX; if cutting 1"X 8", I set Pattern to 1"-1"-1"-1"-1"-8". Then turn 90*, set Pattern to 1" all the way down to bed. In my opinion , I do not think Accuset would be cost effective on manual mill as others have posted.
Retired US Army, Full Time Sawyer since 2001. 2013 LT40HD Super with 25HP 3 Phase, Command Control with Accuset2. ED26 WM Edger, Ford 3930 w/FEL, Prentice Log Loader. Stihl 311, 170 & Logrite Canthooks. WM Million BF Club Member.

WoodenHead

Thanks for the responses.  Seems many of you are using pattern mode with Accuset 2 which uses a bed reference.  SimpleSet only references the last cut and not the bed.

In terms of not being worth it on a manual mill, that may be correct.  However, the mill won't be manual for too much longer.   ;D

terrifictimbersllc

I use just about everything, including the different languages which I show when  I encounter a customer or customer's helper who asks about the computer on my mill. Last week I turned on the decimal, and metric units for the first time to cut veneer strips for an instrument maker who wanted to talk that way.   The set to bed mode and fast height settings controlled by Accuset 2 are very nice.

You want to make sure you are pricing the upgrade including the transducer rod and have an up down motor system that can be controlled by accuset 2.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

orion388

Quote from: Magicman on April 30, 2013, 09:50:33 PM
Being able to choose would be nice.  I have the old SetWorks, but since I don't know any better, I make it work for me just fine.  I have to have a cheat sheet to give me the starting points for various thicknesses of cants and lumber.

MM.. Care to share that cheat sheet with a novice?  :)
LT35HD, Kubota L4330, Stihl 361, 026, Massey Fersuson 55, Ventrac, Grasshopper, Small dumptruck and a huge yearning for knowledge from this forum.

pineywoods

member slysam has 2 manual lt40's. one with with simple setworks and one without. He swears by it, even with hired hands running the mill. OH, both mills  have pineywoods hydraulics if that would make any difference. Sly doesn't get on here very much, I'll see if I can ring his bell.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Quote from: orion388 on May 01, 2013, 09:05:41 AMMM.. Care to share that cheat sheet with a novice?
:-[  Well I thought I could until I realized that it is on an older laptop that is used for picture viewing at the Cabin.  The old word processor program would not communicate with this newer version that is on my present laptop.

What I did was establish a starting point which would let me end up with the correct thickness dog board with the various thickness lumber that I normally saw.  These starting points were determined simply by trial and error.

About three starting points for ¾", 1", 1 9/16, 3 5/8", 5 5/8", 7 3/8" takes care of sawing framing lumber from beetle killed Pine logs.  These figures are adjusted upwards for shrinkage when sawing green Pine logs.

The sheet is under plastic on the left of the Setworks lid and the customer's cut list is on the right.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!