iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hemlock Deck - & covered front porch

Started by Snag, March 08, 2006, 12:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IMERC

Quote from: Jeff B on March 11, 2006, 09:58:46 AM
IMERC you are talking about an exotic species
Eastern Hop hornbeam is what is commonly referred to as Ironwood and grows locally around here

Got it...
The stuff I was talking about is imported and is stocked locally...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

IMERC

Jeff
tried to post those pics AGAIN... got the page not available screen AGAIN....

so much fer pics

IMERC

Ipe Depot
Ipe Decking
Ipe
Ipe Wood Garden Furniture

Coon

When you guys mention eastern tammarack isn't the same as western tammarack----  What is the difference.  From what I know a tammarack is a tammarack---- but then I have had nothing to do with woods from the eastern part of Canada or US.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Coon, western larch is over the other side of those big hills to your west. ;D In your area it's tamarack like what we have all the way over here. ;)

Didn't you know 'eastern' is east of them hills? :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Snag

Thanks for all the great advice.  I do have Ironwood, it is called hardhack by the locals and it is lucky to find one 12" in dia.  Old timers around here used to use it for fenceposts.  It is hard as a rock and the sparks fly when you saw it.  Definitely not the tropical one if it grows here in northern ny.  I have been told that the stuff growing around here make beautiful hardwood floors.  Anyone ever see any?  I dont have any Tamarack but I did make that mistake once (thinking it was dead) and cut one at my previous residence..

Chet- when you say ditto on the white cedar longevity, do you mean that will rot quickly too?  If so, I am now confused...  I am going to try to identify the tall pines, but if I need to track down a treatment place, I will probably just buy pt.

What should I use for the covered porch?  PT for the lower framing, and then white oak?  any other wood I have listed on my previous post work? 

I got some good news from Captain this past week.  Mill is in.  Picking it up/training on the 18th.  I spent yesterday skidding pine and hemlock (along with a couple other weekends).  I have around 100+/-   8.5' to 16' logs awaiting its arrival.  My first order of business is stickers.  second is a polebarn, then I want to tackle wood for the front porch so I need to try and figure out what in the heck i'm doin'.  My buddy that is going down with my for training gave me a call last night.  Word got out that I have a mill on the way (word of mouth around here is amazing) and a guy called him to place an order.  Wants to buy all the lumber he needs to build a pole barn.  He is supposed to get back to us with specifics.  sounds like I am going to be busy this summer.... 

chet

Snag,
White Cedar has a good decay resistance.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Snag

Thanks for clearing up my confusion reading down the posts Chet.  I only had half of a cup of coffee in me this morning when I read through the replies. ??? 

Snag

Any input on the covered front porch wood?  I dont know if I will have enough white oak or cedar to do the porch.  Any ideas from what I have listed on the types of trees I have?  Maybe one type for flooring and another for other parts?  I have searched and searched and just not sure......

SwampDonkey

Canopy (roof) and rail in spruce.  ;D

BTW, you do know the old porches (floor) are suppose to slant a little away from the house when you set that up right? 10 degrees or so? ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!