iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stem Wall or Monolithic Slab

Started by Believer, September 07, 2016, 01:33:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Believer

Wanting to add a small timber frame addition to the gable end of my barn. I want to put radiant heat in the slab (slab on grade).  Should I be thinking about a foundation and stem wall or a monolithic slab. 

sprucebunny

It would probably depend on your location (frost, heavy freeze) and soils.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

robmelby

Your going to need ridged insulation under your heated slab. If you pour a foundation first, it will allow you to turn your insulation board down to a deeper depth on the perimeters. If you go monolithic , you'll need to incorporate your insulation in your forming. That could be challenging. So my vote is foundation.

scsmith42

It is important to insulate the radiant heated slab from the outdoors.  Most folks insulate underneath the slab, but forget to insulate on the perimeter.

If you go stem wall, it allows you to insulate in-between the stem wall and the outer portion of the main slab.  Otherwise you have to figure out a way to insulate the outside portion of the monolithic slab, which is difficult to do in a way that survives over time.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ScottCC

I hope this gets to you.  I have the perfect detail for you.  Worked it out talking to nudura engineer and many visits to code department.  Have also had it stamped by structural engineer.  Email for drawing.  Have done it several times and the results can not be beat money-wise up front or heating bills long term.  I need to go learn how to post pictures to the forum.  Quickly, turn nudura brickledger upside down and pair with second brickledger.  Web is sized for necessary footer size. Only use one more course of block.  Cut interior side down floor concrete thickness.  2' of 2" insulation around outside.  Backfill as nessary.  Insulate interior, staple tubes down, wire mess over, pour all at once.  I simplified but you get the idea.  Happy to send drawing to anyone.
Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Magicman

Quote from: ScottCC on January 06, 2017, 07:54:58 PMI need to go learn how to post pictures to the forum.
Yes you do.  Follow this LINK for instructions on picture posting.  If you have any questions, just speak up.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ScottCC

I hope my picture shows the real thing.  Any ideas on extension required to take AutoCAD LT 15 and load?

Necessity is the mother of invention.  Poverty is its big brother.  WM mp100, WM eg100, WM sp4000 chip extractor,  WM 260 molder on order ,WM electric  lt15 wide with extra track, 71 Oliver allterrain forklift, 26' flat bed trailer, road legal log arch, homemade kiln, AutoCAD lt15

Jim_Rogers

Scott sent me the drawing here it is:

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Here is the drawing attached.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Don P

That is slick  8)
I doubt you need the outer discontinuous strands of rebar in the footer area
I think chapter 4 of the IRC gives the depth and insulation depending on climate in their frost protected shallow foundation section.

ScottCC

I did it this way bc I did not want a class action lawsuit in 20 years for all the log homes I plan to build on this foundation.  120 logs X 600 lbs seems like a lot.  And I picked the 2' in the ground scenario bc of uneven site conditions and landscaping near a home.  Drawing is in my gallery

Thank You Sponsors!