iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log delivery  

Started by Bibbyman, September 29, 2002, 06:17:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Thought you'd enjoy seeing the log rig one of my steady customer uses.  He lives about 8 miles south as the crow flies and about 12 by gravel and blacktop road.  He pulled in with about 20 cedar logs to have them squared into 6x6s.  Never mind that most didn't measure over 6" at the top  - maybe being a little crooked helps?  

Anyway,  he pulls in and I got out to great him and unload the load when I noticed the bearing exposed on one of the front wheels of his 806 International.  After unloading the trailer,  he asked me to lift the front axel so he could slip a block under it.  As I lifted it,  the wheel fell off!  There were a lot of little ups and downs along the way and one major hill.  If it'd been my luck, that's where it would have fallen off.

He was my guest for the afternoon until he could reach his wife on the phone to come and get him.  I offer the lone of an extra vehicle but he refused.  

By the way,  a couple of years ago,  the trailer had most of it's deck.  I think it just keeps loosing boards along the way.  I noticed most of the "newer" boards were wired on.

The pictures do not do the trailer justice
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Twelve miles on that tractor, pulling a trailer loaded with logs would almost make me wish something would break.  Maybe internationals ride a little better than my Fords.  I keep trying to remember to replace the shock absorbers.

WV_hillbilly

If it ain't broke you don't have to fix it .  But a little preventative maintenance could go along ways. ::) Maybe there was such a load on that trailer that he didn't notice the steering was feeling funny until you lifted the front end up Bibbyman ;D
Hillbilly

Noble_Ma

Bibbyman,

I wish you had a picture of that trailer loaded!  It seems to be a little on the under designed side?  I need to build a log trailer for myself but have waited to see how heavyduty I need to make it.  I am the king of over-kill and have a tendancy to over design things. In the case of the log trailer, I would think bare minimum would be the way to go to keep the GVW down.  I have access to an old house trailer frame with tandem wheels and electric brakes. The material looks to be about what that trailer is made with.  Can you fill me in on the materials used to build this one?  You know size and thickness of the steel.  I will still have to make sure it has lights and fenders I believe.  I live in a rural part of Mass but they still make us abide by the rules of the Mass Registry.  Anyone else who has something to add, feel free to voice your opinion.
-Noble

JoeyLowe

:o Seems to me that the tractor/trailer combo is perfect for each other.  Purty don't make it better!  Shame that the wheel came off though.  Did he get his 6x6's?
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

Oregon_Rob

I guess when you are moving at tractor speeds, you can risk a trailer like that. I don't think I would put a lot of weight on it. Looks like it was designed for caring irrigation pipe, not loads of logs.
Chainsaw Nerd

Bibbyman

Mr. L looks the part of a homeless person.  But you talk with him a bit and you'll see he is very much above average intelligence.  He owns over 1500 acres of farm and timber land,  hundreds of head of cattle, sheep, hogs, goats, etc.  His son and daughter have around 500 acres each and togeather they also farm other farms.

Yet he drives an old Ford Courier he bought dead from a neighbor for $200.00.  He does not have a truck or even a HD PU with gooseneck trailer.  His "main line" car is an 70's vintage Ford station wagon.  He and wife live in a 60's era mobile home behind a collection of old farm equipment and such.  He has told me he had never borrowed a dime in his life.

As I said, he's a steady customer and last January he arrived with a load of logs with this same tractor and wagon.  It was in the lower 40's when he arrived yet he was dressed in his standard fall farm attire - bib overalls,  denim jacket, rubber gum boots, and feed store hat.  It was overcast and the sun was going down.  By the time I got the trailer unloaded,  it had to be in the upper 30's.  I offered to take him home but he refused.  I offered to loan him my insulated Carhartt coveralls but he refused them too.  He wheeled around and headed back.  Maybe there was some heat coming off the tractor engine but it couldn't have been enough.

A couple of weeks ago, he dropped off a load of logs.  Same way.  But he told Mary,  "If I don't act like I'm all here it's because I just got out of the hospital yesterday.  I had my appendix removed two days ago.  The doctor told me to take it easy for a couple of days so I laid in this morning and cut a load of logs this afternoon." :o
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

Went to visit a neighbor one time (he's been gone about 25 years) that just got home from having prostate surgery.  We had started down his lane and were surprised to see him riding his old Morgan mare toward us.  I asked him where he was headed.  Said he was going to check his cows.  I asked him how come he didn't take his pickup.  He said the Dr. told him  not to dirve for two weeks.

I sure like those characters.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Tom

Yep, those are "old timers" :)

Weekend_Sawyer

I tell ya, those old farmall's just keep going!

Not that i'm biased or anything...
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Bibbyman

Here are some more features of the Farmall 806 pictured above.

Here is an example of early woodman's engineering craft.  It was a field repair of a cracked exhaust manifold that works so well,  it became permanent.  Actually,  if a person need a heavy duty clamp,  this looks like a good idea.

The other side showed this wedge clamp modification.  I'm not sure what it was about.

Here is a shot of the wheels on trailer showing their true angle.  I'm guessing the trailer was originally designed to transport combine heads.  Note that he parked the tractor and wagon pointed down hill.  That's because the batteries are dead and he has to jump or roll start it.

Sawing since '94

Jeff

Bibby I am so proud of you I could crap donuts. Great pictures and all 3 way below the 15k limit. KIWI! LOOK AT THESE!
O.K. back to the topic. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

Of course the standard reply by the owner of any such outfit is "Why, I wouldn't be afraid to drive that thing to California"

Of course in his case, California is just on the other side of Jeff City-------California, Mo.

Noble

Oregon_Rob

You know, I love to hear stories like that. Here is what I gleaned from it.
It's not the house you live in or the truck the drive, but one's character that counts.
And I would guess:
The only sleep he looses is because he is taking care of a sick or injured animal, not because he is worried about a bill coming due.
Probably doesn't have much of a retirement account, but won't ever need it.
Chainsaw Nerd

Noble_Ma

Up here we call that Yankee ingenuity. What do you guys call it?

Bro. Noble

Noble,

Around here thats called "life on the farm".

I'm all the time reflecting on how much easier farm life is because of all the good machinery we have.  My son is all the time asking when we are going to trade off all this old junk machinery and get stuff that works.

I guess you have to grow up with "yankee ingenuity" of Afro engineering" -------well that's not what they called it when I was growing up.

Noble

Noble_Ma

Afro engineering???  We also say KISS.  Kept it simple stupid.  There is no school that can teach you common sense.  The clamp with the chain and bolt should be submitted for a patent.  Talk about simple and functional!!  My grandfather was a farmer and worked every day of his life up to the day he died.  

ADfields

Well my Dad would say thats "mickey moused" or somthing like  Afro engineered but not neer as nice.

Noble_Ma you can go to a place that sells drivechain and thay will have a grade 8 bolt with a hole in the head that a master link will snap into and a washer with a hook to hook in the other end of the chain.   It comes in all chain sizes and it has ben around as long as the drivechain has I bet.   But farmers just use what thay have around.   I have scrached around in boxes of old bolts and nuts for hours and hours to find my Dad a 4 cent bolt a hundred times if I did it once!   My wife will find me scratching around the shop to this day but she will set me right every time by saying "You know thay will have that at Ace and in 10 minuts it could be in your hand for shure."   I need to thank her for that sometime.
Andy

ARKANSAWYER

We now call it "Afro engineering"  since we can not say the "N" word.  But I have a PhD and learned it from the masters of the craft.  Had a customer come over yesterday and his truck would not start.  When we went to jump it off the battery terminal on the - side was burnt off.  A old screw, Dr. Pepper can, old wheel weight and propane torch later I made him a new terminal and his Ford roared to life.
   I wish I had more neighbors like Bibby's.  I could sleep better at night. ::)
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Bibbyman

Dad would say "Jerry Rigged" sometimes.  I think he brought that back from WW2.  I've seen him cobble around on something for days that would only cost a couple of bucks and a few minutes to do it right.  

He gave me his old IH 3444 industrial loader when I started up the sawmill business.  It had a steel oil line running from the steering control valve down to the cylinder that turned the front wheels.  At someplace along it's route it had rubbed a hole in the line.  Rather than fix or replace it,  he cut a piece of gas line hose and used some kind of goop and hose clamps to try to seal it.  It only slowed the leak down to about a gallon of oil a month.  

I finally got tired of it dripping around and having to top off the oil so I cut the line and had a rubber hose made up to replace it.  It cost less than $10 to repair.

Dad noticed the repair and made a comment that the fix he'd made had worked for 10 years,  you only had to top off the oil every once in a while.  He didn't say it but I could tell he thought I was foolish for going to the expense and trouble to make a more permanent fix.
Sawing since '94

Noble_Ma

I think we're all guilty of "jerry rigging" things at one time or another. Sometimes you can get by with a quick fix.  My dad always said, "If you're going to take the time to do something, do it right!"  I still like the chain and bolt trick!!!

KFhunter

Quote from: Noble_Ma on September 30, 2002, 06:08:36 AM
Bibbyman,

I wish you had a picture of that trailer loaded!  It seems to be a little on the under designed side?  I need to build a log trailer for myself but have waited to see how heavyduty I need to make it.  I am the king of over-kill and have a tendancy to over design things. In the case of the log trailer, I would think bare minimum would be the way to go to keep the GVW down.  I have access to an old house trailer frame with tandem wheels and electric brakes. The material looks to be about what that trailer is made with.  Can you fill me in on the materials used to build this one?  You know size and thickness of the steel.  I will still have to make sure it has lights and fenders I believe.  I live in a rural part of Mass but they still make us abide by the rules of the Mass Registry.  Anyone else who has something to add, feel free to voice your opinion.
-Noble
Here's an idea
Deleted by Admin.  Craigslist Ads are not allowed.

Ok oops so no CL ads, it was a pickup chassis with log bunks and a tow bar hooked to the steering axle. I'd use a stronger chassis than a toyota frame though.  I would like a log trailer myself and I like the steerable idea but I was afraid the trailer would wag around behind the tractor so I think I'd use an electric brake on the back axle, or maybe both axles because I have steep hills to come down.  I might also figure out a 3pt hitch that pins to the drawbar and just put in electric brake controller on the tractor and use a regular gooseneck trailer which I already have.  

Thank You Sponsors!