iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

pulling trigger on OWB

Started by mf40diesel, August 31, 2016, 08:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

hello All,  Need some advice.  Planning on pulling the trigger and buying a new outdoor boiler.  I go to sea for a living, so my wife and son (11) and daughter 8 eventually, will need to take part in maintenance of unit and keeping it going when I am at work.  I work 3 weeks on/off,  obviously this (my being away) needs to be factored.

I really want a gasser, burn less wood and seem pretty awesome.  For me I have it between the P&M EGR 250, or the Polar G3.  They seem remarkably similar which is addressed in a thread below.  Seems like which ever of the two I end up with I Will be doing alright.

I do have some reservations however,  the benefit of the older traditional style is there seems to be less maintenance, and they are much less finicky... through the wood in and go.  The last thing I want is my wife struggling outside when it is -20F and windy and I am at work.  With good wood, how much of a concern is that with the gassers? 

What would you guys do if you were me?  Another thing to factor, is the Efficiency Maine program has rebates of 30% up to a max of $5000 on installed EPA approved gassers.... thats a huge benefit.

Thanks very much in advance.
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

thecfarm

I like a simple design. Like the Heatmor that I have. I have had no major problems,no maintence that needs to be done on a weekly basic. That is what I would be looking for for my wife to run when it's -20°.
I have no idea what size you plan on buying. I have one that will take a 54 inch stick. I thought it was going to be used to heat a working garage,but I doubt that now. BUT being big,allows me to throw in a bunch of odd size pieces,which takes up alot more room,but it last through the day or night too. Cost more,but I am glad I did it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

North River Energy

Are you replacing an existing outdoor boiler, or is this a new installation?

mf40diesel

New installation.  Never had one before, we have a woodstove and an oil burner.  While I work in the oil field, I don't want to buy anymore oil.

Not sure what to do really. I understand the need to keep it simple, but *DanG the gassers are so cool.

Thanks
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

North River Energy

I'm very familiar with winters in the western mountains of Maine.
They's some cold. :o

While I can appreciate your wanting to heat with wood rather than oil, the current price of oil and it's relative simplicity should make it the attractive option if you're looking to keep the family warm while at sea.

If that's untenable, then I'd put the boiler selection criteria before your wife, as she'll be charged with keeping the furnace going and she needs to have a hand in the process, beyond 'simply' handling the fuel.
If she doesn't like the boiler controls, and/or the daily feeding requirements, you're both going to have problems.

Beyond that, I'd lean toward a burner with a proven track record, minimal bells and whistles, simple as possible while still scoring high on efficiency. (If such a thing exists in the OWB market?)
Gassification has been around for awhile, (see HS Tarm, et al) but have no idea if it is fully proven for outdoor boilers?
Part of the appeal of an outdoor boiler is the ability to combust almost anything that fits through the door. Gassifiers, at least the indoor variety, work best with drier wood, and hotter burn cycles, often coupled to a water ballast heat sink.

Whatever you chose, consider plumbing it in such a way that you can use the existing oil burner as backup in the event the new rig has teething problems during a cold snap.

DDW_OR

also look at customer support, and LOCAL support.

when i asked Central Boiler for help in installing the 750 Edge i was told "read the installation manual"  ::)
"let the machines do the work"

mf40diesel

Thanks for all the advice, really good thoughts there.  My plan, as it stands right now, is this time home to dig the trench, run the lines electric and pex and install the heat exchanger.  Then we have the Fryeburg fair at the end of my time home this time.  I will have a chance to look at most of them, (all the majors have displays there) then the wife can really look too and ensure that she is part of the decision.  She is all the time, but better to have her right in the middle of it. 

I will keep you all posted.  Thank you so much. 

Ox

My father put in a gasifier boiler in the cellar.  He's regretted it ever since.  Wished he had gone as simple as possible even if it uses more wood.  The maintenance on it is alot of messing around and lots of switches, sensors and motors.  The ceramic needs replacing every year apparently.  Fire bricks don't last long because of higher temps.  On and on.  Simple is good.  Look below my post at the KISS principal.  Good luck.  :)
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Gearbox

The gasifirer need dry wood [20% ] and split small . other non will take anything that will fit thru the door . also is your wife going to clean the tubes if they plug up . K eep it simple for your family .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

DDW_OR

just pored the pad for the 750 edge

put mixer on pallet forks. add water for 2 bags, then add first bag, mix, then add second bag, mix, then lift, move, and pour.

lift metal wire to center of pad thickness after first pour
took a total of eleven 80# bags. could have used 11.25 bags
"let the machines do the work"

North River Energy

Ox,
what brand did you father buy?

Ox

I'm unable to ask him or go to find out.  Please don't ask why.  It's a gasifier boiler that came out of PA someplace.  A smaller company and the thing is painted green.  It's large and does a whole 2 story old farmhouse plus domestic hot water.  I wouldn't buy a gasifier because of what I've heard about in the past.  Simple is good.  Build a steel box and put a fire in it.  Pretty hard to break down that way, right?  :D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

hedgerow

Quote from: mf40diesel on September 04, 2016, 07:28:44 AM
Thanks for all the advice, really good thoughts there.  My plan, as it stands right now, is this time home to dig the trench, run the lines electric and pex and install the heat exchanger.  Then we have the Fryeburg fair at the end of my time home this time.  I will have a chance to look at most of them, (all the majors have displays there) then the wife can really look too and ensure that she is part of the decision.  She is all the time, but better to have her right in the middle of it. 

I will keep you all posted.  Thank you so much. 
I would keep the wife in the middle of any decision. My feeling is burning wood is a live style and before you send a bunch of money setting up to burn wood you better make sure she is ready for that live style as sounds like you are gone a lot. I am about ten years in my current Garn boiler and it is a lot of work making and feeding 10 to 15 cords of wood a year. I have a unlimited amount of wood as I have farms that need cleaned up but finding the time and help  to do it is getting harder every year. Just make sure you have the resources to make the wood into heat before you send the money on the equipment. 

mf40diesel

All points taken.  And thank you for them.  I have been buring wood all my life, and my wife has for the last 17 years with me.  She is game, plus we have a two kids as stated earlier.... time for the boy to start earning his keep! 

I believe that I am going to go for the traditional boiler.  Uses a bit more wood, but should be a lot more simple.  MAybe when I retire we will get the cool gasser.  I'll let you all know what happens.

Roger2561

I would caution you to be sure to check with your local code enforcement agent (If you have zoning laws to follow) to be sure there are no restrictions before you purchase anything.  Also you may want to consider checking with your insurance company regarding set back from the home, they may have restrictions on how close to the home it can be set up.  That's my $0.02...  Roger
Roger

Thank You Sponsors!