iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shopping for hydraulic hoses

Started by Brad_bb, September 01, 2012, 04:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I have a rough terrain forklift (73 warner&swasey) and I need to go through and replace all of the hydraulic hoses - 4 power steering, all the tilt, sideshift and lift cylinders, misc steering hoses, pump hoses and returns.  Of course they'll all have to be custom made up as there are not original part suppliers for this machine. 

The question, because I have the impression that the replacement cost will not be peanuts, is where to go for them to assure that I get quality and a fair price?

The choices I see are 1. Motion Industries, of which I have a branch nearby.  2. The local hydraulic cyl shop.  or 3. One of our sponsors, but that would involve me shipping the original hoses to them, which concerns me because of the difficulty with packaging.

These hoses had a braided fiber on the out side to protect from abrasion, but that's all fraying on many of the hoses.  Thanks, Brad_bb
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

snowstorm

i buy a lot of mine from motion. cause they are close by. why are you changing all of them? do they leak? i would assume being that old they are all 2 wire with jic fittings. i would not send away for them

1270d

I normally don't replace them untill the wires are exposed and parting.  Or they blow.  If its just the outer mesh they might be fine.

Autocar

I get most of mine from the [ www.surpluscenter.com] very hard to beat there prices.
Bill

lumberjack48

The local parts stores make hoses around here, and the feed stores
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Autocar on September 01, 2012, 06:23:00 PM
I get most of mine from the [ www.surpluscenter.com] very hard to beat there prices.

Bought dozens and dozens of hoses, fittings, pumps, etc from them and they are usually the cheapest around even after shipping...

Don_Papenburg

Most of your local implement dealers make up hoses .   (J.D. , Case , etc )
Industrial plces like Cat, Komotsu ,would be more expensive for the same thing.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Corley5

Cheapest place for hoses in even lengths with male pipe fittings is TSC.  I've got my own hose press and can't make them myself that cheap.  If you've got JIC or something oddball a trip to your local hydraulic shop will be in order although TSC does usually have a good selection of adapters  :)  I wouldn't worry about replacing them if the wires aren't frayed.  I've run them pretty rough on the forwarder for longer than you'd think they'd last  ;) ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

snowstorm

jic is not an oddball. its pretty much industry standard. cat and kmostau use there own style of fitting. cant beat cat hose. what some refer to as metric  fittings can be british pararell pipe. it is one half of one degree different in thread pitich than us pipe. it may thread on but it will leak

Corley5

I said "JIC or something oddball"  TSC stores in my neighbor hood don't stock hoses with JIC ends but they do have adapters from JIC to NPT.  I consider odd ball something like British Pipe.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Brad_bb

OK, I'm going to try to figure out what type of fittings I have.

Why do I want to replace the hoses?  First they are almost 40 years old.  The outside is all frayed.  Quite frankly, I don't want a busted hose while I'm in the middle of needing to move something.  I want to prevent being down.  Sooner probably rather than later one of these hoses is going to fail.  So why not replace them now, while I have the machine partially apart and easier access to them?  This machine is new to me and it doesn't look like it's had anything done in awhile.  I'm also going to do preventive maintenance on the radiator, water pump, alternator, fuel filter, distributor, and whatever else I can find.

pineywoods

With that many hoses to replace, it might be worth buying a bulk reel of hose plus fittings and make your own. If you have access to a lathe and a hydraulic press, it wouldn't be that much of a project to make your own dies. Never tried any of the re-suable fittings..Ditto surplus center. I have added hydraulics to 3 sawmills and a tractor, all with stuff from them. Never a problem, and even with shipping, the price is right.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Brad_bb

My family actually had hydraulic host equipment at one time(10-15 years ago).  I never used it.  I do remember there were a whole bunch of special crimping dies and tooling.  Expensive stuff.  I know the crimping needs to be right as the hoses are under high pressure.  I don't have access to a lathe.  I do have a press.  Making proper tooling would not be a simple chore for me and I'm sure buying it is not cheap.  I think I'd rather leave it to those with the correct equipment and experience to make up quality lines. 

trapper

We used the reusable fittings when I worked in forklift repair at mercury marine. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Don_Papenburg

You might have to stop at Shoup sometime  :)
They do have hose and fittings
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Woodchuck53

That's a good question brad__bb. I am getting ready to rehose to pcs. of equipment and was wondering about the cost of a tool to do my own. 1 hose last week 9' 4" with JIC #6 swivels on each end was $114.00 At that rate and with the amount I need to change .500, .750, and 2@ 21' x 1.500 I will be spending a small fortune. I have a friend that has the equipment and have also thought about just buying the fittings and bulk hose. The back hoe alone has 22 different ones that are crushed and frayed and most are leaking. Haven't priced bulk hose yet either. Isn't this fun?
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: Woodchuck53 on September 06, 2012, 04:56:11 AM
1 hose last week 9' 4" with JIC #6 swivels on each end was $114.00

Just looked on surplus center and a 3/8" hose with #6 JIC female fittings 108" long is $24, and one 120" long is $26... Since they only sell certain lengths you have to make do, but when saving that much $$$ I don't mind having the hose a little long....

Ken

Several of the parts stores here will supply you with a hose press if you sign a contract to purchase x amount of hose and fittings from them over the next year.  Last year I went to town far too many times to get a hose fixed so signed a contract this past spring.  Wise move as I haven't busted any more than a few hoses since signing the contract.  ;)
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Woodchuck53

These were 1/2" but still that would probably be a better price. I haven't ever used them but will have to do more research. After doing a rough talley I want be buying a machine and then getting the dies I would need. Then buying a quantity of hose and fittings. I don't think that will work for my budget at this point. Stay safe.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Woodchuck53

Thanks for the tip. Just went on line and ordered the Surplus Center cat. Any money left in my pocket is always a good thing.

Thank You Sponsors!