iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberKing B-20 List/lenghts of hydraulic hoses.

Started by Earl Beverly, March 20, 2017, 02:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earl Beverly

Hi,
Does anyone have a complete count with lengths of hydraulic hoses for a TK B-20 sawmill. My saw has seen just enough weather to rot the hoses and rather than replacing as they fail, I would like to replace all at once (all of the 3/8" Hoses). Also, thinking to upgrade from the one wire hose to two wire.
I have several other pieces of equipment with hydraulics, 3 tractors, track loader, dozer, articulating loader, so, I am considering buying a hose crimper, although the "surpluscenter" prices look cheaper than the cost of hose and fittings.
Thanks,
Earl Beverly

york

Albert

Kbeitz

You might want to look on E-bay at the non-crimp hose fittings.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Tom the Sawyer

Earl,

Call Mike or Jason at TK, they should be able to tell you the hose lengths.  Unless you have moved your forward loading arm to the forward position, you can use shorter hoses for that one.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

redbeard

I highly recommend using industrial hoses or of same kind TK originally used.
There not cheap and the fittings is what adds up.  The B - 20 system is not a extreme system but if you have a 3-4 K log on loaders or log chain turner and you have one come apart with 3500 psi it's very dangerous. Proper hose cutting and proper fittings crimped the right way is money well spent. The machine that dose it is several thousands. 
Iam guessing but to re plumb a B-20 would be in the neighborhood of  $1500- $1800
I think I spent  $350 for the 3' hoses with connections to move everything forward a couple feet when I added the 10' extension.
Just my 2 cents. Keep safety in mind
Also most companies that make up hoses won't add a new fitting to a used hose.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Kbeitz

Wow... Up here in Pa we can get the Amish to make up hoses for
around $20.00 per hose.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

redbeard

Yes I might have inflated  the cost a bit. But I did check what I actually paid for a  10K psi 3/8 two wire hose is around 2.60 LF
So a 10 ft hose with basic straight fittings made up here is around 60-75 bucks.

Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Earl Beverly

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all of the responses.

Tom T Sawyer: The straight up answer is to call Mike or Jason at TK. I did this last week and Jason quoted $1450 for the full B-20 package of hoses. I feel a bit guilty asking all of the lengths, so I can go to another vendor to beat their price.

RedBeard: I really don't like to discuss my sex life on timber forums, but a few weeks ago I had two 1", 10' hoses made at my local Auto Parts store to route from my Kubota SVL-90 track loader to the Ground Shark cutter. At $486.00 I considered to this be sex of some kind - and I did not enjoy it...

Kbeitz: I saw a picture of some Amish people one time. That seems to be as close as they come to East Texas. I checked in to the "screw on" fittings - the only objection here is the cost. Also, they are physically larger than the crimped fittings. This is probably not a problem in most cases. Have not given up on this because, like having my own crimper, it lets me make the hoses and fit them one at a time.

RedBeard: I have a twenty foot extension on my saw and along with changing the hoses, I would like to add hydraulic stops on the extension, add a third, or widen, the existing log loader arms and toeboards. So, when making/ordering new hoses, I will add the extra lengths of hose as needed. This is why my first thought was to buy a used hose crimper, and I have been shopping eBay and CraigsList, but again, this also looks like sex of some kind, not to mention that each crimper requires specific dies, rings, and use of specific fittings and hoses.

The TK stock hoses are one wire and with JIC type female flare ends. It would not cost much to upgrade to two wire hose and I plan to shield all of the hose that runs in the channels, then sleeve all hoses that are exposed. I think that upgrading from the TK 3500# hoses to 4800# as well as keeping the sun off the hoses should end my hose problems.

I have banged a log into a fitting that ruined a hose and pinched one of the log loader hoses.This kind of stuff will happen now and then, but should be less as I spend more time on the saw.

Anyone know of a hydraulic crimper at a reasonable price, please let me know.

Thanks,
Earl Beverly

york

Albert

Earl Beverly

Hi Guys,
I just ordered all of the 3/8" hoses for the TK B-20 from Surplus Center (24 hoses and about 200'). I upgraded from 3000#, single wire to 4800#, 2 wire. The SC stock hose lenghts skip from 15' to 20', and in 4 places the B-20 requires 16', so I ordered the 20' hoses for these. I can loop the hose or take them to my auto parts and they will shorten for the price of the fittings, plus a buck or two.
I did not order the 24" long 1/2" line from the filter returning to the hydraulic tank or the 10" long 3/4" line from tank to pump. The 1/2" looks new and SC does not stock a 3/4" hose in 10" length. I will get the 3/4 from TK.
The cost including shipping for this order was $657.30.
I will check the diameter of the fittings tomorrow and order hose sleeves for all of the hoses (the sleeve will need to fit over the end fittings). eBay list some sleeve from China that is low cost and I am thinking to order 200' of that tomorrow. All the sleeve has to do is keep the sun off of the hose. There are not really any high-abrasion areas, though the sleeve is listed as anti-abrasion.
Either my hoses rotted from the sun (what I think) or some of the chain lube I have been using is chemically attacking the rubber (also likely).
Earl B.

redbeard

Some modifications to think about,
The area where the hoses turn from channel beam to control there's some vibration wear from some of the sheet metal edges. ( I cut those back a bit and used fire hose for sheathing. Also use rubber tape on the Tee bars that hold the hoses on the channel beam and  cut some short pieces of plastic tubing to cover the  bolt shoulder and threads.
Sounds like you will be adding the bed extension to your mill.

Earl Beverly

Hi Redbeard,
I have a 20' extension on the mill now, but have not moved or added any hydraulics to the extension. So far the few times I have sawed long timbers, I have used two tractors with forks to load and turn the log. It was a bit of a pain, but it was easy on the mill, as we could load and turn gently. The log was a huge, green white oak and I have no clue what it weighed.
Thanks for the tips on where to place more shielding. I have some old fire hose. Also, I just ordered 225' of hydraulic hose sleeve. I will sleeve all of the hose and add cover and padding as you recommend.
I bought the mill in 2005, but have mostly been gone (engineering jobs overseas), so the mill only has 80 hours on it. I left the mill uncovered one summer when I flew to Brazil for a two week job, and did not return until fall. This is when the Texas sun went to work on the hoses. Yes, I am ashamed of myself for mistreating a fine sawmill.
Hurricanes Rita and Ike took about 40% of my timber +/- 150,000 bf pine and oak, and I was traveling those years for work, so the downed trees went to rot. This was my plan for the mill, to render any trees as they fall from storms, get struck by lightening and from the fence lines. After Rita, I bought a Cat D-5, shoved the rotted trees into piles and burned them. I have not recovered from Ike, and there are hundreds of rotted trees both on the ground and standing and it is truly a dangerous forest. The jet stream brought high winds yesterday and I am hoping some of the dead trees fell. 
Earl B.

Earl Beverly

RE;
Timberking B-20 Hoses

Inboxx

noreply@forestryforum.com
3:42 PM (1 hour ago)
Hi Sir, I read your thread from a couple of years ago where you purchased almost all of your hydraulic hoses from surplus center and saved a lot versus getting

Hi, 
PLEASE, let me know if you get this e-mail - the return address from your e-mail is "no-reply", and you did not include a name or any other contact information. 

Make sure to replace the hoses "One at a time" so you dont have trouble with routing or get the connections mixed up! 

I am a bit reluctant to send this list of hoses because it does not include the 1" pump suction hose or a couple of 1/2" hoses at the hydraulic filter, and two of the long hoses were hidden from exposure well enough that I did not replace them. 

I am copying the Surplus Center invoices and will post below. There will be a few hoses that are too long (I looped them under the hydraulic pump and tank area and tied them up with tie straps). There were a few extra hoses. 

EVERY hose that is exposed to sunlight should have a protective sleeve (Timberking could add a lot to the value of their mills for a small expense - I bought sleeve from the famous "e" sight "Nylon Hydraulic Hose Sleeve, NPS-209, Hydraulic Hose Cover, 2.09" ID, Sold/Ft). Make sure to buy sleeve large enough for the connector ends of your pre made hoses. I bought 225' and was probably 60' short. 

EarlBeverly is a novice saw miller aatt gggmmaaaiiilll 

Qty   Item No               Description                                       Amount    
******************************************************************************************
     1  930-22240             3/8" X 240" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE          48.95
     1  CATALOG               SEND CURRENT CATALOG                                    0.00

__________________________________________________________________________________________
                                                             Order Recap:                 
                                                               Total Product $:      48.95
                                                                  Net Product$:      48.95
                                                                      Shipping:      16.44
                                                                     Sales Tax:       0.00
                                                                     Insurance:       0.00
                                                                   Grand Total:      65.39

Qty   Item No               Description                                       Amount    
******************************************************************************************
     3  930-2212              3/8" X 12" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE           23.70
     2  930-2218              3/8" X 18" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE           18.30
     3  930-2224              3/8" X 24" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE           32.85
     1  930-2236              3/8" X 36" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE           12.95
     3  930-2272              3/8" X 72" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE           53.85
     2  930-22120             3/8" X 120" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE          53.90
     6  930-22144             3/8" X 144" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE         186.00
     4  930-22240             3/8" X 240" JIC 6F X JIC 6F 4800 PSI HYD HOSE         195.80
     1  9-2701-6-6            JIC 6M x JIC 6M BULKHEAD 90 ELBOW                       2.05

__________________________________________________________________________________________
                                                             Order Recap:                 
                                                               Total Product $:     579.40
                                                                  Net Product$:     579.40
                                                                      Shipping:      77.90
                                                                     Sales Tax:       0.00
                                                                     Insurance:       0.00
                                                                   Grand Total:     657.30

Jim H.

Thank You Sponsors!