iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can anyone enlighten me on this debate with an old timer?

Started by hunz, November 10, 2013, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5quarter

I can neither confirm nor deny that your a blithering idiot...Though I can say that I moved on from blithering idiocy some time ago and am now well into into late onset mental retardation; and frequently reaching toward complete stoopidity.  ;) :D

About Staining the wood on one side only. Rule of thumb is to treat all sides equally or none at all. Some wood (i.e., hickory and elm)  will behave badly when treated unevenly. some other woods (i.e., cedar, maple, walnut) do OK. It really depends on your application. B and B siding and other outdoor applications it may not be very important. Furniture? very important. Drawer boxes are either finished all sides or none at all. Solid wood casegoods same thing. every old piece of solid wood furniture that was finished on the outside only shows some degree of warping and splitting. The exception are the veneered pieces that can be finished on outside only with no ill effects.

I try to never correct my elders, even though they are sometimes dead wrong. In your case,I'd thank him for his helpful advice and continue doing as I please.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

5quarter

as a side note, my neighbor was a lot like your caretaker. He would come over about every other day and criticize me for about an hour and go back home...like taking his medicine. The difference was, he was almost always right. It got so I dreaded his truck pulling up, knowing in a few moments that I'd be learning of something else I was doing wrong. a couple years ago he stopped coming by. I learned a few days later that he had dropped dead of a heart attack. his son found him in his truck, still parked in the driveway. Turns out I really miss his visits. Often I'll be doing something and smiling to myself, think what an earful I'd be getting if Larry were here visiting with me.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

mad murdock

I will glady eat some grits for Ray, Magic. Thems good eats :laugh:
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Tom the Sawyer

hunz,

Your caretaker may very well be a pompus, egotistical, know-it-all (who may actually know what he is talking about) and the reader would likely accept your description of him but when you insult marital status, retirement, public safety career, age and woodworking skills you stomp on a lot of toes.   smiley_annoyed01

If you realized in the same post that you were generalizing in your insults, it might have been better to use the delete key rather than apologizing.  Then only the know-it-alls would be offended.    smiley_peace
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

terrifictimbersllc

How about try some boards his way and some your way and see what happens?
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

LoneDuck

I can't bring much to the table on being old as I'm only in my fourties but the other part of the post I will give my opinion. If you are looking at farm buildings then look at what has worked in the past. There are a lot more old barns around that do not have protection then do. These have been standing for over a hundred years and still useable. On the otherside I have seen a lot of newer construction that needed to be tourn down because they where not alouded to breath. The moisture just roted them away.

scsmith42

Quote from: Kcwoodbutcher on November 10, 2013, 09:20:13 PM
The biggest problem I see with that is uneven drying. The wood would tend to cup towards the unsealed face as it is drying faster

^^^  This.  If it were me, I would not seal the lumber until it had the opportunity to completely dry. I would install it as siding, etc, just not stain/seal it for several months.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

TW

Your climate is a lot warmer and more humid than ours but up here it is a rule that if you want wood to last don't seal it.

I have seen perfectly sound unsealed log walls that had been weathered for over 300 years. I have seen 30 years old sealed log walls that were crumbling because of rot from the inside. I have seen wooden boats that have been treated with pine tar and linseed oil and still after 50 years of use they are sound enough to be worth the effort to repair. I have seen 20 years old perfectly well maintained varnished boats that weren't even sound enough to burn.

My conclusion is that I always either use finishes that allow the wood to breathe or no finish at all. Others (like soma mayos paint manufacturers) do disagree but I think that I am right until proven wrong. I am 32 so I am only halfways to become an "oldtimer" so I have yet to see it I was wrong.

red oaks lumber

put er green, let er dry then seal it. it just peavs me when "old" people think they are right just because their old. ;) i can say this cuz my 75 yr old dad is that way. :) last week he had me steaming to the point i told him he has become a bully! saying and doing what ever just cause he "can". come on man! :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Barney II

Hunz----Your due to have an important operation---let me explain----I was 25 when I started to work with my father and grandfather in the retail lumber and contracting business.  It was only a year later when I fully realized that if this was to continue on I needed an operation.  I had a clear unobstructed tube inserted between my ears---in one ear and out the other without even bothering me .  It worked really great for a long time.  I have since had it removed and given to my SIL and it is working for him too----lol    lol         B uck up and when the advise starts to flow just sniff and ask hi m if he has had a shower lately and walk off---it does work.  I did retain some of the advice and am so glad I did-----now .  60 is a bit young to be giving out such valuable advice and of course it is free and we all know what free advice is worth.  Anyone over 70 is the age to be giving out such valuable advice---witness Red Oaks' father   lol   lol  lol         Have a good time and enjoy , too soon gone
Ya never know
Woodmizer  1985 lt30

GAB

Gentlemen:
Thanks for all the humor and comments, as it made for interesting reading.
Have you ever noticed that when you paint the inside of a wooden garage door that the paint on the outside peels or flakes off?
As far as IL's is concerned I never met mine so I can't comment.
When you are called "ignorant and stupid" or other descriptive adjectives sometimes even though it hurts the best thing to say is thanks.   
Some people just need to get their crystal balls calibreted.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

C. D. Nicolas

Magicman had some good points, I don't know about this "old" age stuff, it's been said that with old age comes wisdom, I just turned 72 and wisdom hasn't shown up yet. I've been wearing a police uniform since 1972, 25 years full time and since 97 part time. learned a lot, some of which I didn't want to know, but still not that much wiser. I didn't find the police officer remarks offensive,I've seen to many they would fit, (some with 3 & 4 marriages). The profession is rough on personal relationships. the prayer helps (everything).
Mister Sawmill Model 26,M-F 231 (no FEL),Stihl MS310,Stihl 211C.   From little hand saws all the way up to sawmills, they all have teeth and they BITE, Be CAREFUL out there.

Brucer

True story. Back in the summer three of us young bucks were talking about the recent shenanigans of one of the local old timers. He had taken a buddy and couple of ladies on a double date in his Hummer.

The young bucks were me (64), Allan (76), and John (80). We all own our own businesses and are all going strong.

The old timer was Cooky (97). He's retired and has time to go cruising in the Hummer of his. Sets a fine example for the rest of us.  ;D

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

papow22

:D Well about age as I told my son of 27 going on12 ,

1) from  1 yr to 30 you are a KID

2) from 31 yr to 50 you are a adult

3) from 51 yr to 60 you are a senior

4)  from 61 yr to 90 you are able to sing the song " I've been everywhere"

:snowball:  Merry Christmas  & a  :new_year:

and 'sonny' "I still look at the world through a windshield" as i'm driving down the highway in the tractor-trailer with a CLASS 1 that no one will take from me being a drunk driver.And for fun in the summer I fire up my motorcycle that is QUIET as the wind going places that I love to see.And also I do own a band mill also circle-mill and I still work them both as I need them to make lumber.So I'll never forget when I had a friend mouth off to a senior while sitting on a horse's back,a split later he found that EXPERIENCE taught him to say "sorry sir".And from then on when my elders spoke I just listen and obey.But now a days that is forgotten word called "respect".
I told him that I wouldn't do what my grandfather wouldn't do.It makes you think before I open my mouth to speak.So I think what my elders would say and listen. move_it cause experience is spoke from  smiley_old_guy ..
cause one you'll day see him looking at you in the mirror wheeliechair. So when a elder spoke, he was there before  :D So no offence to anyone cause I know that you don't speak the truth no more.Cause ALL I HEAR TODAY is, everywhere you go every one cried 'PREJUDICE',racial slander crap to me that is the cowards way of life.So as the song goes 'the road goes on'. smiley_horserider 
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

LaneC

From the way you write, you sound like a person who has some sense and who knows you have alot to learn. That is admirable at 27. You don't see it often these days, as there is a huge lacking of respect like one other person has said. I have dealt with these type of people as has everyone. Your description sounds exacltly like the type of people who have been that way towards me at one time or another. I have and always will respect any elder that I am around, but let me tell you I have found some that I consider elders, 10 to 15 years older than I, to be some down right scum bags. Just because one is an elder does not mean they are a good person by any means. I will always respect what they say and keep my mouth shut until I find that they are not a good PERSON. If they are worthy of respect then I would give it to them and bend over backwards for them, they may not know how to get their point across. However if you do not find them worthy, then I would do the boards how you think correct as long as you have truly researched it, like it sounds like you are doing. I would try and stay away from him as much as possible. When the time comes, you will deal with him the way it needs to be dealt with and you will live with the consequences, so remember to be respectful when it happens hahaha. I am looking at a table my Grandmother had that is probably 100 years old and it has no sealer on it but it is inside and in good shape. Hopefully not a rant here but it sounded as though you were looking for 2 pieces of advice and this is just my very small, honest opinion. Good luck with the relationship and life is very short so enjoy as much of it as you can.
Man makes plans and God smiles

hunz

LaneC,
  Thank you for your post, there is much wisdom in what you said. About a week ago today, the caretaker was notified by my father that he needed to be moved out by the end of February. I don't know why I still find it incredible when God answers prayers. Our caretaker made a bad move towards my uncle(50% farm owner) which became the straw that broke the camel's back. I am glad that the Lord closed this 8 year door of frustration, and can't wait to try out some of my own ideas for a change!

Thanks guys
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

thecfarm

Sometimes we have to try our (great) ideas to make sure they will not work.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LaneC

thecfarm, that is one of the best sayings I have ever heard. I would put that in the old sayings catagory so people can see it. That is a good one. Did you make it up?
Man makes plans and God smiles

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have never had a debate with an Old Timer........I can't win.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

just_sawing

To answer the original question of sealing wood on all sides here is this old timers thoughts.
There are reasons to seal the wood and reasons not, all being a trade off in some way. Pine being a high carbohydrate wood will completely disintegrate if sealed green. The bacteria inside will have a warm moist protected environment to eat the rings out. The problem is that they will try to do that on the inside anyhow.
Air drying has mixed result if you dry long enough the bacteria dies and the wood last. The problem is bacteria in wood is resilient so you have to get pretty dry for it to work
This is why at the end of a dry kiln schedule the wood is brought to a higher temp 150 of so to kill all.
What I have decided as the best course for me is never in my area (TN) use a high carbohydrate wood on the out side. As far as sealing I want an Oil Stain (I will take the high wood and not use burnt motor oil on the bottom 18 inches because everybody knows that is a no no even when I mix 50/50 transmission oil then use trans up top. No I would use the over the counter wood barn oil stain that soaks in also as good and transmission fluid. Then the heat cold cycle will push the oil though the wood basically as a wick. Being formulated somewhat like trans oil to be hydroscopic to water so there isn't damage to a trans in water staying together the sap and oil will mix. The oil being incompatible to bacteria life do to the PH and such wood last.
Coating the inside has uses but there is an up side and a down. Between joints is never air tight and is a good place to catch water and food which can rot. I am normally in a hurry and don't address this but have lived long enough to see damage in places I could have prevented. This is actually in my opinion getting worse do to people deleting over hands on non metal buildings. In my opinion it is fine to not have an overhang in a metal building but wrong if the sides are wood. I am replacing Chestnut window seals in my house not from rot but from 100 years of rain percolating the wood until it isn't sound any more.
Maybe this will help.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

two-legged-sawmill

Hello everyone, what an intresting thread! Human nature at it best, or could be. Many side topic's have cropped up and there's a message in all of them, it
would take a book with a chapter on each,not today I am to old to write a book
How about a compromise? My Dad who was older than me used to say " take everthing with a grain of Salt. I'll be 87 on my next birthday, this I have learned, there's a whole lot more out that I don't know than I ever learned.
     Acording to the Bible there is nothing new under the Sun!  Wrong, just the
thermology is overwellming. Every time it is read it reveals more mysteries &
knowledge and knowledge leads to wisdom. You can never get to much wisdom, just be careful how you display it!  "Merry Christmas to all"
"There are no secrets to success. It is the results of preperation, hard work, and learning from failures"

Bogue Chitto

Boards on this barn where put up green, according to my dad.(about 50 yrs. ago) They where painted on one side.  Still  in good shape.

petefrom bearswamp

When I was in my 20's I met an "old timer" who was at that time about 40 or so and whenever we had to work together he would start out by saying "If you don't mind learnin something".  He knew EVERYTHING!
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Nomad

Something I was told once.
     An average man knows an average amount.
     A wise man understands himself to know very little.
     A fool knows DanG near everything.
     Want to prove that?  Then just ask a fool a question.  He will always have an answer.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!