iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spectacular customer service, all together now say "Peterson Portable Sawmills"!

Started by JimBuis, August 30, 2007, 07:48:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jack

WEll, 

I dunno about the prices?  but if your looking to spend some coin,  might i suggest you do the investment calculations .......lucas .....oh i sed it ........in a peterson thread........well   Trump is broken......so ....Lucas at Baileys give them a call, i bet you could get a new 8" mill and a few goodies to assist in your lumbering activities too......and beat the cost of a Peterson?  just my thots.....

I routienly put the Lucas 825 in the back of my 98 toyota 4x pickumup  truck,  and alone to boot.   of course with help everything goes faster...but it is done with one person easily,  From parking to saw start......it takes about 15 minutes.

With two ppl averaging btween 400-700 bf/hr...  and the saw pays for itself quickly.. plus ya can get some good muskles....

Look at your options....
Jack   
i bought my lucas in 2000
GRAB life by the Belly fat and give it a twist!!!!!

Went from 5 employees to one, sorry to see a couple of them go.  Simplify life... building a totally solar run home, windmill pumps my water, and logs keep me warm.

DanG

Getting back to your original topic, Jim, I've spent a bit of time around several of the Peterson folks at shows.  They are the nicest sort of people to be around, so I'm not in the least surprised that you had a pleasant encounter.  They're always smiling, when they're not laughing, and are obviously having fun at what they're doing.  They're like that when they are dog tired in the evening or if they haven't had their morning coffee yet, and I bet you could feel that over the phone, even 12,000 miles away. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Jim,
Actually, when I prepared to make the trip to pick up the sawmill,
I ALSO had pictured a trailer like that - one to carry the preassembled
center unit.   Nope.   The production end frames had to be removed.
Oh, well.

On the other hand,   that center unit is a breeze to move with the
end frames off.   I realize that I  am physically better off not trying to move
the entire assembled unit at one time anyway.

There are many cargo trailer companies which will make a custom
height unit, however.  I had a larger one for a sound contracting business
about ten years ago.   It was a customer job made for someone else.  They
backed out for some reason, and I bought it.

As Jack points out,...
There are different price points and features to match your needs out there.
With the specific model Jim and I have, these primary benefits come to mind.
                      Capacity - 10-1/4 inch;  log dia. of 54" (or optionally bigger)
                      Double cut very easily;
                      Single point depth adjustment -with option of electric depth control;  and
                      Option of high-low rail operation - which I have, but seldom need to use.
                      Stainless and aluminum(or aluminium) construction
                                   (Chains are not stainless, because that alloy won't take the
                                     strain)
If you don't need these features, you don't want to spend the extra money and don't
need this heavier saw.   Both Peterson and Lucas offer many affordable choices. ;)

DanG,
I have had no trouble with my saw in the years I have had it, so maybe that's why
them Peterson folks smile a lot, also. ;D

Phil L.   
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Sawmill Dave

Hello to all,

I just wanted to say that I think Peterson is a great company as well. I have seen there mills in action at shows and really think they will handle anything that gets tossed its way. I have come across a dealer for them in QB Canada that has a couple in stock, 8" and 10" and have considered buying from him. They seem to be really focused on customer service as well. Have a great day.

Sawmill Dave

Part_Timer

Well I'm gona chime in here for a minute.

When I bought my mill there were several RC's here in the states.  I was so impressed with their customer service and the way that they took care of customers that I joined the company as well.  Here we are a couple of years later and while their web site only shows 1 RC left there is a lot that happens in the background that the public never sees.  I thought if it was ok I'd share a couples of examples with you.

I know that Ga-Boy, Captian and I still answer questions from mill owners that we have trained or folks looking to buy mills that we have delt with in the past.   Some of us still do shows from time to time along with a great many owners who just want to show how nice a mill they have. Some of us owners will drive 2 or 3 states just to visit each other or visit the Factory folks when they are here doing shows.  I even keep in touch with one of factory people who quit and moved to Canada. 

I think all of us have parts or mills of one kind or another that we are keeping here in the states for the company.  Katie and the kids stuff the envalopes that go out with the "cutting comments" in the mail to folks here in the States.  Forum members get on here and help each other out with problems or advice on the mills. 

If you purchase a mill and it doesn't work out for the type of cutting you do there aren't any hard feelings they will even try to help you sell it.

Seems to me that when you buy a mill you become part of the family wether you expected to or not.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Wife

Hey guys - really REALLY glad Jeff got all the stuff back up and running - thank you Jeff.

Just revisited this thread and saw the last note about RC's. Well actually we've also been doing a big re-vamp and its taken a bit of time. The name has changed to SR (State Representative), and we've got better commissions and less work requirements so it will be possible for a lot more owners to become involved (after hours around their fulltime jobs). If anyone is interested, give Lee a ring or email - he's another really great guy I found - a real person not a 'salesman'. 1877 3271471 or lmorris@petersonsawmills.com. I think Lee already has around 12 or 14 interested parties - we're just beginning to present the new agreements now. Probably see a few new SR's established by the New Year.

We're also centralising our spares parts to one destination (who is not a SR, but solely a Parts Distributor). That means less work for the SR's and cheaper delivery costs on spares (and faster delivery too because thats his main focus). We'll post a new thread once this has all become official...me gonna get my hand smacked for letting the cat out of the box a bit early me thinks... ;D

Kerris
Kerris, in the background....
Petersons Global Sales Ltd
15c Hyland Cres
Rotorua, New Zealand
www.petersonsawmills.com
kbrowne@petersonsawmills.com
Ph +64 7 3480863

Part_Timer

Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

getoverit

I am a former Peterson Mill owner, and I will chime in and share my praises for the company and their support people too. They bent over backwards to help me when I had issues and would even call me occasionally to check on me. You just dont find that kind of thing these days.

well done!!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

revnell

As long as Kerris can make announcements to her friends on this forum, may I be allowed to do so? I will soon become the newest State Rep for Peterson Portable Sawmills for Michigan. They are an outstanding company to do business with. I am a relative newcomer to swing mill operation but very enthusiastic about it. Yahoo! 8)
Can anyone help me with this problem: what is the best way to keep the water or blade coolant from freezing and starving the blade of lubrication?

Captain

Welcome Revnell.

Just keep the tank empty and don't use water for the next 6 months  ;D

Seriously, when the logs are fresh and the temperature is cold, you can't hurt the blade in most circumstances.  I won't even have the water tank on until April or so.

Captain

revnell

Thank you, Captain
I am not afraid to show my stupidity in order to find things out. I don't have to carry water to the mill now. Excellent. Now if the snow would stop I would have time to saw.
Next question: how do you get the dancing emoticon to do it stuff?

Danny Dimm

A fellow posted on another site looking for the pros and cons of Peterson vs Lucas. I told him my experience of how Lucas went all out and the BC Peterson rep's efforts were almost insulting. Well the folks at Peterson's got a hold of me and we had a long talk. I was very impressed. Even sent me a hat and shirt all the way from NZ! Can hardly wait to wear it to a Lucas convention. I've run a Lucas for the last several years and I like it, but I wouldn't hesitate to get a Peterson either. Both quality mills.

Haytrader

revnell,

Do you mean like this?   8)

When you reply and want to add an emotion, just space or hit enter to go down and click on the one (or two) that you want to display. It will show as a code till posted.
Haytrader

Furby

Revnell,
Can you update your profile to include a rough location?
Depending on where you are, I may end up with some job leads for you.
Also consider listing yourself in the find a sawyer, logger, forester section in the upper right hand corner of the page.
It's free! ;) :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum! 8)

revnell

I don't have time to say much, I am waiting for Lee Morris to call. Have been out sawing oak 2x8x12's all day for joists and rafters. The Peterson mill is a joy to operate, its like harvesting gold from these heavy, beautiful beasts.
8)javascript:void(0);
Just a doin da Forestry Forum Boogie

Thank You Sponsors!