iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

moulder power use

Started by JustinW_NZ, November 05, 2015, 12:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Hi all

Im looking at a genset to power our new wadkin moulder but wonder about sizing and startup currents.

The moulder is a 9 head unit and has 15.and 10hp motors on each head.

Combined it can pull about 100amps on 3 phase 415v

Doubt i would run them all but running dust extractor on top would be good.

Ratings on gensets around the 100kva mark can usually provide the amperage just but how close is two close?

I have a good line on a 170kva genset which is obviously a bit more sizable.

I assume softstarts are a good idea?

Anyone been through this?

Thanks in advance
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Ianab

I'd think you would be able to wire it for a sequential start up, where each motor spun up in turn, a few seconds apart. Largest load first, then the start up surge from the last smaller motors don't really count. With a big machine like that it doesn't matter if it takes 30 secs to get everything spun up.

Of course running a larger genset at only 60-70% of it's max load is probably a good idea too.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Ianab on November 05, 2015, 01:38:08 AM
I'd think you would be able to wire it for a sequential start up, where each motor spun up in turn, a few seconds apart. Largest load first, then the start up surge from the last smaller motors don't really count. With a big machine like that it doesn't matter if it takes 30 secs to get everything spun up.

Of course running a larger genset at only 60-70% of it's max load is probably a good idea too.

yes, each head has its own power on button, so easy to turn them on one by one..

I would rather slightly underload a machine than max it out personally as well.

Hope all is well up your part of the country?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Cazzhrdwd

Are you sure about the amps?

My moulder has 5 heads and has the full load amps at 125
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Cazzhrdwd on November 05, 2015, 08:57:14 PM
Are you sure about the amps?

My moulder has 5 heads and has the full load amps at 125

At what voltage?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Ianab

Regular single phase here in NZ is 230v, so a standard 3 phase runs at ~415 like Justin said. Higher voltage means less current, but the power (watts) is the same. Running that same machine in ~200V would need more like 200amps, which aligns with what your 5 head is drawing.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

longtime lurker

Go bigger. Soft starts are a PITA, and if you can get enough power to ditch them it's a beautiful thing.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: longtime lurker on November 06, 2015, 04:22:39 AM
Go bigger. Soft starts are a PITA, and if you can get enough power to ditch them it's a beautiful thing.
x2 when we were hooking all the mills on gensets we never used soft darts just BIG breakers ;D sadly fuel got so high they all had to go to the power co. so now its all softstarts and cap banks ::) the largest motor i ever started across the line was a 250 hp 460 volt gang saw it was pulled by a 1200kw cat gen if i remember right he said it burned about 16-18 gal fuel per hour :o
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Thank You Sponsors!