iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello/introduction

Started by coalsmok, November 17, 2013, 05:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coalsmok

Have been reading on here for a some time now and registered. Thought I would just say hello before I asked any questions or made any comments.
  My dad and I just purchased a portable bandmill to replace/go along with a older frick that he has had since the 70's that is getting tired.  We mostly just saw what is needed around our farm using logs cut off the same.  With a new hay shed in the works and a new house on the horizion it was time to improve our capabilities. 
  So far we have cut around 1000bf on the new mill in two partial days and I am going to say the learning curve has been steep.  Its nice to be able to move the mill to the log but it is alot slower than we are used to sawing once the mill is going.
Anyway my name is Mark and I just wanted to say hello and thanks for all the help I already have gotten by reading this forum.

nk14zp

Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, coalsmok.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

thecfarm

coalsmok,welcome to the forum. What kind of mill did ya buy? HP?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Welcome coalsmok

Not surprised that you find the band a bit slower than the Frick.

But this place is full of help, so don't hesitate to ask for some suggestions or just let us know how it is going.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Buddyw

drobertson

Howdy, and welcome,  hp is the answer to speed,  second to material handling, they go hand in hand,
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Gasawyer

Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

jmouton

welcome  to the forum  Mark.
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

morgoon

Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

Geeg

Welcome to the forum coalsmok!
Retired Airbus 380 Captain. Timberking 2200,  Kioti RX6010PC,  Nyle Kiln KD250, Polaris WV850

bandmiller2

Welcome Mark, your success with a bandmill will depend heavily on how sharp and well set your bands are. Compared to the old frick you will be surprised how little horse power the bandmill needs to do the same job and how little the sawdust pile is. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, coalsmok.  Now pull up a stump and join the crowd.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Mark.
I found more experience and help on this one site than I've seen in my life. The search box is a great feature, and if that doesn't work, asking will.

Allan

Ga Mtn Man

Welcome to The Forestry Forum, Mark.  This is a great place to hang out.

Hint:  It's helpful to add the make and model of your mill to your signature line so that people with experience on that mill can offer advise.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

coalsmok

Thanks for the warm welcome.
  We purchased a timber mule model 200. It is a 22hp power feed mill with a capacity for a 32"x16' log. Dad is already talking about a extension for it, he likes long beams for some things.

arnold113

Welcome coalsmok, to the Forum. You've come to the right place. These guys are the greatest. If they can't help with any problems you may encounter then there's just not an answer to be had anywhere. Have fun making sawdust.
Arnold113 
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Sixacresand

Welcome to the Forum, CoalSmok
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

steamsawyer

Hey Mark,

Welcome aboard.  8)

A new band mill... I won't hold it against you...  I have to ask. Where does the coalsmok handle come from, and what does it mean? I usually use pine to make my smoke. ;D
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Finn1903

Welcome!  Looking to see some posts of what you are working on
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

sawmillhand

1990 woodmizer LT40 Hyd  2004 Ford F350 Flatbed. Plenty of tractors.

Thank You Sponsors!