iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Granberg Small Log Mill -- first impression

Started by 59Billy, January 17, 2007, 06:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

59Billy

My mill and ripping chain arrived today. Took just a few minutes to assemble the mill. The instructions were minimal, but adequate, and the design is simple enough that assembly isn't rocket science. Installed the ripping chain, bolted the mil on, and went looking for something to cut.

I had a few logs of spalted maple out back, and just for a test run, I took a 5' long, 11" or so diameter log. Screwed a 6' 2x6 to it for a guide board. I set the mill for 3 1/2 inches for the first cut:

Note the high-tech milling horses, consisting of random junk already on the ground.

The first cut revealed nice spalting, and not much worm damage:

After the first cut, I set the mill for 1 1/8". The cutting was nice; the mill is easy to use, and the ripping chain cuts faster and cleaner than the Oregon LP I'd been using.

Total yield was four nice boards, enough to make a top for either the writing desk or the kitchen table that SWMBO wants:

Later, I cut an 8', 12" oak log, but was too excited to mess with the camera.

Some observations:

the MS290 is just barely enough saw for this. It got pretty hot doing the oak. Maybe I should ahve let the taxpayers buy me and 880 while I had the chance.

The small log mill itself seems to work fine, for what it is. It's pretty easy to adjust (easier than I expected) and pretty stable. I was a little sceptical about the way it just clamps onto the bar, but it didn't slide or slip.

Chainsaw milling wastes a heartbreaking amount of wood. I could start a particleboard factory, if particleboard wasn't against my religion.

This is a slippery slope indeed. It's not hard to imagine getting a bigger saw... and a bandmill... and a BIGGER bigger saw, and....

sawguy21

Thanks for sharing that. We have sold a few of those mills, the last one with an MS290, and the customer really wanted a smaller lighter saw but I talked him out of that.  ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Nate Surveyor

I used to own one of those! I cut alot of benches out of red cedar, and made gifts of them.

Then, I graduated to a LOGOSOL. I really liked the logosol. A bummer was to hit a nail, or a patch of dirt in the log. I wound up running a hose over to where I milled.

Then, I sold the Logosol, and prepared to buy a "Real" mill. Then my brother died. I spent the $ on taking care of my family while off work, and taking care of associated expenses.

Well, I just got a Peterson mill. It is used, and has many things to fix. The prev owner was not super handy with adjusting and figuring out where the slack was in the mill. ALSO his saw doc was letting him down. WAY OVER TENSIONED on blades.

So, anyway, if millin' is in your blood, well, just give in to it!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

59Billy

Quote from: sawguy21 on January 17, 2007, 07:34:19 PM
Thanks for sharing that. We have sold a few of those mills, the last one with an MS290, and the customer really wanted a smaller lighter saw but I talked him out of that.  ;D

I'd say you did him a favor. If I were buying saw and all from scratch, I'd get a 660, or at LEAST a 460.

Oh, well. This way, I'll end up with a 290 AND a 660.

On another note: apparantly, buying a chainsaw mill causes it to rain. It's bloody poured every day.

Snag

It probably didnt really rain because you bought a mill.  Come on, thats just ridiculous.  It rained because you bought the mill AND had time to use it. ;)

blaze83

still not true.. it didn't rain because you bought the mill or because you have time.... but because you bought the mill have time & have LOGS :D :D :D
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

59Billy

Quote from: blaze83 on January 19, 2007, 08:36:25 PM
still not true.. it didn't rain because you bought the mill or because you have time.... but because you bought the mill have time & have LOGS :D :D :D

And because the most interesting logs are in the swampiest part of the woods -- basically the 1/2 acre or so between the so-called "lawn" and the drainage ditch.

333_okh

I am also interested i nthis little mill for its ability to reduce the size of some of the specialty figured woods I cut so I can actually get them out of the woods.

oldsaw

Quote from: blaze83 on January 19, 2007, 08:36:25 PM

Okay, I was all ready to agree with Snag, but you one upped him.  The "perfect storm" has to happen.  Time, weather, logs.  Right now I'm down on all three.  I'll have logs in March, but the weather has played against me all winter.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!