iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Great first impression

Started by Luke_Eames, May 05, 2016, 02:51:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke_Eames

Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for some tips and information about making a great first impression.  I'm used to selling to the general public but a large flooring manufacturer is willing to work with me now.  I got all of the requirements of what they're expecting of the lumber, however any other tips regarding banding, what to send with the lumber, etc. would be great.  If they like this first load and are willing to work with me further, it will really help the business grow.  Thanks!  :)
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

WV Sawmiller

Luke,

First - be yourself and treat them like you would want to be treated if you were the customer.

Ask them if they have any special requirements as to packaging, marking or anything that will make it easier on them to unload, handle, store, etc. Find out what is the best time/day to deliver so they aren't snowed under when you show up. You'd like to be able to unload at a leisurely pace and be able to talk, answer any questions or hear any suggestions from them.

Goes without saying but make sure they get a full count of what they order. I generally throw in an extra board or two. If you have other wood you want to sell that they did not order you might throw in a board or two of that species/cut and tell them its a free sample for their review and consideration.

Make sure they are satisfied and understand exactly what they got and if they are not comfortable or satisfied see what their concerns are and do everything you can to reconcile any issues or concerns they have.

Ask them if there is anything they would like you to do differently on their next order and take good notes to accomplish them if reasonable requests.

Be courteous to any of their staff you meet and thank them all for their business and be sure to leave them extra business cards and ask them to refer you to any of their friends and associates.

Good luck and congratulations on the order. Hope it turns out to be a good deal for both of you.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Luke_Eames

Thanks for the great information WV Sawmiller.  I need to mark these notes down so I don't forget while on the first delivery!  ;D
Wood Mizer LT-70 Super Wide
Wood Mizer EG200
Cat IT18

Thank You Sponsors!