iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting big oak logs into quartersawn lumber

Started by flatrock58, November 22, 2014, 07:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatrock58

My favorite wood is quartersawn oak lumber.  Cut some big logs into quartersawn and rift lumber today.  It doesn't get any better.

2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

RM Farm

Nice looking lumber! What size boards did you get?
Thanks, Robert

Woodland Mills HM126; Kubota L3200 with FEL, quick attach forks.

flatrock58

Thanks.  We cut mostly 6", 7" and 8".  The logs were 8' long.  About 500 board foot out of the first two logs.  Have about 2 more logs to saw.  A friend had this big red oak die and wanted to split the lumber.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hunz

Here's some pics of nearly the same thing I did on a portable job this week. This guy had a 45" diam white oak chainsaw quartered, and then called me in. He was a custom home builder who uses all of his cut lumber in his homes. The largest board we got was 18"q.s.

Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ddcuning

That's the way to saw an oak! Beautiful stuff you have there!

I made our mantel out of QSWO a few years back and after seeing the finished product, I swore I was not making any more of our furniture in the house unless it was out of quartersawn. I have since only made a couple of lamps due to spending so much time on the mill. I need to get back to making furniture for the house.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flatrock58

Hunz,
That is a nice wide quartersawn board.  My logs were only 33-34" diameter.  $5" is a big white oak!  I was trying to keep the boards narrow enough for the jointer.
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

WIwoodworker

Can't go wrong with quartersawn oak. Nicely done!
Peterson 9" WPF

dboyt

A lot of work, especially if it involves quartering with the chain saw.. but worth it.  Can't get wood like that any other way!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

78NHTFY

Flatrocks58--very nice tree & saw job.  Those puppies weigh some dragging them out of the woods with a tractor!  Had a somewhat smaller one myself 5-6 years' back  I cut down because of a broken off top.   

After 3 years of drying, I turned it into this (back is facing stairs = 4 boards jointed/glued with # 20 biscuits) and hope to complete finish work this Winter.    ;

. Just noticed that photo color is bad on left cabinet?!?  Not a great job (1st time using a Kreg jig) but it does look better than that! Finish is 2 coats of Tung oil, 2 of Poly.  Are you planning on making something with your oak?  All the best, Rob
If you have time, you win....

woodjunky

Those beautiful slabs make me want to go in my back yard, and hack my big oak down! :) I have 3 acres im going to harvest some trees on. But not a single oak there.

flatrock58

Rob,

Nice looking oak!  The big ones are hard to come by and heavy to handle, but you get a lot of nice lumber.

Steve
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

drobertson

They all look nice, and you know, I've seen my share of boards, I just thought, I've never seen an ugly one, not counting the rotten ones that fall apart in your hand,  and I have to ask ole 78,  you in a hunt club with your dog?  She, or he is looking to be in good shape!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!