iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frick sawmill question

Started by Hale87, March 02, 2018, 06:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hale87

I own an lt40hd but I'm thinking about getting some logs cut by a circle mill so I have the saw marks.

I'm wondering what the maximum cut is for a frick?
Also I'm wondering if it's very hard to  have the entire logs slabbed off?

Thanks for your input.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

dgdrls

Hi Hale87

Its blade diameter and collar size dependent 

Circular Sawmills and Their Efficient Operation: Stanford J. Lunstrum

Lundstrum reports the following

Diameter of average largest logs      Saw Diameter –––––––– Inches –––––––– 
    18                                                                                   40 
    20                                                                                   44 
    22                                                                                   48 
    26                                                                                   52 
    30                                                                                   56 
    34                                                                                   60

What do you have for sawing?

D

moodnacreek

What do you mean by slabed off ?  To me that means squared.

Ron Wenrich

Diameter for avg largest log isn't the same as the widest board you can cut.  If you have a top saw, you can saw up to about 30".  I ran a 54" saw, and my maximum cut was about 20½".  I had an 8" collar.  It depends on the set up.  The largest log I ever sawed was 48", as that's how wide the carriage would open.

You can get the logs slabbed off, as long as they can handle large pieces of wood.  I had a place where I could dump large timbers onto the forks of the loader.  Biggest piece I cut was a 20x20x10.  We used to cut bridge timbers that were 10x17x15.  

It might be cheaper just to buy the wood than to haul logs, then have to rehandle the squares.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Hale87

When I said "slabbed off" I should have said cut into all live edge. I know I'd much rather cut dimensional lumber than all live edge on my lt40hd.

Thanks for your input.
2002 LT40HD sawmill, WM single blade edger, 23hp Kubota tractor, 2011 Kawasaki Mule, 2002 Honda Foreman, 1983 Case 480D backhoe

moodnacreek

That used to be called round edge or wane edge.  Leaving the wane or bark if it's still there on 1 side is easy and leaving 2 sides is not a problem unless the log is too big or bumpy to hold.

Kbeitz

A band mill can give you saw marks. Just bend up one tooth..
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

starmac

Quote from: Kbeitz on March 03, 2018, 07:04:09 PM
A band mill can give you saw marks. Just bend up one tooth..
Yep, but different too, it seems there is a market for rough cut circle sawn wood, some folks desire it and will pay for it.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

moodnacreek

Wonder if there was a time when people wanted up and down sawn boards.  Rough cut lumber was once called saw tooth finish.

Hale87

I'm thinking about making a "resaw" just to put those saw marks on lumber. Not to actually cut the lumber but to just rub the side of it as I push it through

moodnacreek

It never looks the same. Old hand set sawmills can be found cheap but they will need work most of it simple except the mandrel .   Try to get to know some one who runs one and see whats involved.

Thank You Sponsors!