iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer Feed speed on return

Started by Stuart Caruk, December 19, 2017, 09:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Caruk

My LT35 had variable speed (electric powered) when taking a cut, but came back at full speed when I held the return lever.

On the LT40, 50, or 70's is it possible to have the mill return at a variable speed on the return as well as on the forward stroke? I've heard that there is an optional wire that can be connected to make it do so, but I'm curious if  you make this mod whether it's an all or nothing mod. Most times I'd like to return at full speed, but I'm building a multi router head that I'd like to have the mill feed down and back over a cant or two, and speed control for this op would be ideal.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

JB Griffin

I think the walk along versions do just that but not sure.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When my 40 returns....get out of the way!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

4x4American

My super 70 forward and return speed is 100% variable.  Which is alot better than what my 40 was which was full steam ahead...or reverse rather
Boy, back in my day..

gmmills

It is possible to make the return a variable speed. When Cutting Edge And I  converted Sliders LT70 to Accuset 2 there was an extra wire in the harness to the H-Bridge just for that purpose. If you chose to not use the feature you left the wire unattached and zip tied to the rest of the harness. When using the feature the return speed is controlled by the feed rate knob,pot, just as when going forward in the cut. Not sure what mill revisions came with this harness factory equipped. You made need to purchase updated harnesses in order to convert to the variable speed return. Contact Sparks at Indy to make sure that is all that may be required.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

MartyParsons

Hello,
  GMMILLS is correct. Any mill with Dual Access H Bridge will have a wire ( yellow) that looks like it needs plugged in. This will give you variable  speed return.

Marty

See picture above.

"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

4x4American

Well i wish I knew that when I had my 40!!!  Only had to break the dragback arm 6 times lol lol
Boy, back in my day..

Ga Mtn Man

That isn't an option on the LT40 Standard, but a clever fellow could reconfigure the drumswitch wiring to make it so.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

tawilson

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on December 20, 2017, 08:13:55 AM
That isn't an option on the LT40 Standard, but a clever fellow could reconfigure the drumswitch wiring to make it so.
They must have changed it because my standard came with it. I used it till I got the hang of the board return.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

Ga Mtn Man

Yes, they must have made a change since my mill was built.  I stand corrected.

How is the option selected on your mill?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

tawilson

Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

Kbeitz

You could put a toggle switch on the 2 wires and have the best of both worlds.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dave Shepard

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking of doing. There is a vacant hole on the front of the panel when you have the Dual Axis H bridge where you can put a switch.

Its only on the Dual Axis H bridge. My 2008 Super did not cone with dial acid, but I upgraded.  Haven't gotten around around to it as I have wireless remote ite, so I don't really care how fast it comes back.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

tawilson

Quote from: Kbeitz on December 20, 2017, 11:02:20 AM
You could put a toggle switch on the 2 wires and have the best of both worlds.
That's a good idea. Once I got used to the board return I disabled it because I kept forgetting to turn the speed down after the return. But having an easy option to activate would be nice, especially when I have to back out of a log for whatever reason.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
Woodmaster 725

Magicman

No slow return for me  but I constantly use my Fast Forward.   :o

My first wiring had a glitch but Reply #22 details the correct switch and wiring.    LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

4x4American

I could use one of them fast forward buttons, so that on the cold days I can fast forward to the end of the day lol

What is that a light that tells you when you're speeding?
Boy, back in my day..

Southside

MagicMan -

A buddy of mine is a full time electrician at a production company nearby, he deals with controls, lasers, etc all the time.  One day while helping me fix something on the processor he was talking about  potentiometers and just called them "pots" or "pot" in the case of a single one for short.

So I read your previous post about the fast forward button and how it came to be  - good job by the way - well in reading the suggestion Brucer had and the potential problem that the wrong wiring could cause I came to the sudden conclusion that "Oh my MagicMan almost smoked his pot running his mill......"   The sudden visual gave me a good chuckle.  Sorry for "drifting" into the "weeds" there....  :D :D  Ok I will stop now. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stuart Caruk

Marty,

So I just got my LX450 Diesel home, and I'd like to add the variable speed on the return. To save me the effort of pulling a bunch of access panels and going on a mini search for these wires, could you give me a hint where to find them? I'd have guessed inside the Accuset 2 control panel, but looking at your picture leads me to believe they may hide elsewhere.

While you're helping. I love the solenoid that turns on my water (coolant..., lube,  whatever) , but the manual valve can't be reached when it's cutting, and I'm far to lazy to wander around the mill to shut it off when I don't want it. I don't suppose the power for that solenoid emanates from inside the Accuset panel does it? If not, and idea where I can most easily access the power wire feeding the solenoid that controls the flow so I can add a toggle switch to shut that sucker off manually as well?

Many thanks for the help,

Stu

Quote from: MartyParsons on December 20, 2017, 04:43:29 AM
Hello,
  GMMILLS is correct. Any mill with Dual Access H Bridge will have a wire ( yellow) that looks like it needs plugged in. This will give you variable  speed return.

Marty

See picture above.

Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

MbfVA

Quote from: 4x4American on December 20, 2017, 08:41:18 PM

What is that a light that tells you when you're speeding?

Isn't that a switch you're seeing?  It looks like a light but I think that is due to the extreme perpendicular at which the photo was taken.

Include me as one who almost got whacked by a WoodMizer un-challegeable gotta get there return.  During a demo that almost became a demo-lition, of me.

In fairness to Orange, I would not want to slip n fall while pulling my Peterson back too hard/fast on the vertical cut, especially if it was set up with any kind of downhill-ness.  That blade does not look like something I'd wanna have pass "over" me.
www.ordinary.com (really)

MartyParsons

Hello,
   The water valve is controlled by wire 19 and 20. 20 is black and is ground runs to the ground post in the box. 19 is red runs to # 2 of the power feed drum switch.

If your LX450 has Accuset 2 it would have the jumper wire to control the feed return with the pot. If it has Simple Setworks you will not be able to control the return.

If you have Accuset 2 then remove the front panel and the Dual Access H bridge will be hanging from the top. If you have the new command control option, I am not sure. There is nothing in the manual about this. Pretty new.

Hope this helps.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

sam-tip

Subbed.  Working on rewiring a friends 2003 LT40 super for variable speed in both directions.  Looks like I can move a few wires and add a relay and it should be variable.  Took a few hours to understand the old H bridge with the heavy duty relays.  

Update Got his mill rewired and has been using the variable speed in both directions for two years now (2020).  Now to figure out the wiring for the very old accuset.  Had cable pulled out of transducer connection and no power to transducer now.  Uses the MTS temposonics transducer.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

Thank You Sponsors!