iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Still at it ;)

Started by OlJarhead, April 15, 2014, 10:25:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

Hi All,

Just checking in and letting you all know I'm still kicking! lol

Did some work cleaning up the 'landing' for the mill and managed to get a couple logs milled up after work today.  I've been travelling a LOT and have had little to no time to get any milling done but I'm still at it, just slower these days.

Not sure I'll do much for others (anyone want to do some milling in Cle Elum?  I don't think I can do it now) as my boys are both working full time and I've working full time in the Telco job and of course, trying to get the cabin done when I have time.

Either way, I'm milling still and that's all that matters right? lol

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

YellowHammer

Its good to hear from you.  As I looked at the picture, it seems like all the equipment is standing at attention, ready to get to work.  Tractor ready and poised, fenders neat and in a row, gas cans have their toes on the line. Even the sawdust pile looks neat.  Very nice setup.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

justallan1

Eric, good to see you back.
Sounds like we have the same problem with regular work getting the way of our fun work. :D

Allan

giant splinter

Good to hear from you Erik, thats a nice looking stack of lumber ..... bet it feels good to get back in the sawdust for a spell. I have to say that you have one of the neatest LT 10's out there ...... that trailer looks like it was a factory modification, you did a great job on that project.
Hang Tough
roll with it

Magicman

Eric,  It's good to hear from you.  Thankfully you occasionally have to come up for air.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Seaman

Glad you are good, been wondering.
Frank

Semper Fi
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

Chuck White

Nice looking sawsite Eric!

Glad to see you're still sawing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ST Ranch

Erik - your organization skills always amaze/motivate me - great looking operation.

And yes, seems like we spend too much time a t "have toos" versus the "want toos".

By the way, I know your home base is near Pasco Wa, but just wondering where your cabin/land is?  Just wondering if you are anywhere near a new forum member, who is located NW of Spokane, probably near Colville.
Tom
LT40G28 with mods,  Komatsu D37E crawler,
873 Bobcat with CWS log grapple,

OlJarhead

Thanks all.  I hate crap laying all over the place!  Might be the old jarhead in me or perhaps it's just having fallen over crap one too many times but I just like to have things a little neater than they often are.  When working alone it's both easier and safer I think.  Just don't look too closely at other pics! lol because it aint always this tidy.

My home is in Richland WA but the cabin is in the Okanogan -- west of Spokane and about 3 hours of driving.

Busy Beaver Lumber

Good to hear from you Eric. Are you ready to offer a review on those clamps your buddy made for you?

Would sure like to know how well the work and possibly upgrade my mill

Fred
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on April 16, 2014, 05:26:38 PM
Good to hear from you Eric. Are you ready to offer a review on those clamps your buddy made for you?

Would sure like to know how well the work and possibly upgrade my mill

Fred

Got another 100 bf done tonight :) 

The clamp is 'the bomb'!  I suspect it could use some modding to adjust the positions to a little closer together -- maybe another 1/4" or the clamp could be made slightly larger (another 1/4") so the reach would be extended a little.  As it stands right now I occasionally have to shim a cant in order to clamp it but I've never had the clamp come loose even then an frankly I can't imagine why WM hasn't just come up with something like this fo the LT10 -- but remember, mine is on a trailer so the clamp has LOTS of throw room.  An LT10 on the ground just couldn't use this clamp unless the user had one for 1" clearance and another for say 3" and another for 6" -- doable though.

I should add that setting the clamp is a breeze and the log dogs work as cheater bars when needed too :)

What can I say? I'll NEVER go back to the old crappy LT10 clamps!!!!!!!!  I'm set for life with this one and have run dozens and dozens of logs through it no problem.

drobertson

You bet it is, I remember a lot of pics of you and your boys sawing away, but time changes a few things, mainly in work schedules.  The main thing is to enjoy what we are doing, and it looks like you sure do! Nice area you have readied up there, keep on chunking away.  That lil mill you have modified is a pretty picture in my book.
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!