iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite Super XL Auto- (Semi) Restore

Started by pwrwagontom, August 28, 2018, 04:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwrwagontom

Hey everyone-

I recently got my grandfather's Homelite Super XL Automatic given to me.  Its super obsolete I know this; but I remember cutting fire wood with him as a kid, and this is the chainsaw.  He purchased this new in the early 1970's, and it even has his name carved into the clutch cover.

I won't be using it, but I think about him everyday.  I am planning on tearing this down, doing the valves, rebuilding carb, and giving it a general overhaul...just because.  I guess for the fun of it?
The only service this may see, is some light chainsaw milling with my father in law.

So this brings me to my question, can anyone tell me the specifications of a 24" bar and chain for this thing?  It currently has one on it, but there are no visible numbers.  I remember it bogging when I ran it as a teenager, so I know that this may be a bit oversized...

Thanks in advance!
Never give an inch

sawguy21

Here is a link to the specs on that old girl
Model Profile: SUPER-XL
A 24" was available but is a bit much for a 57cc saw, 20" would be much more practical. IIRC, the tail pattern was Oregon D176 which is getting hard to find.
There are no poppet valves like a 4 stroke engine, it does have a reed valve behind the carburetor which seldom gives trouble. If it gets lazy and doesn't seal turn it over on the block. Remove the muffler and look through the ports at the piston skirt, if it is not severely scratched or galled you should be alright. Forget buying new parts to rebuild, they are long obsolete although still available for the carburetor. Have fun with it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

HolmenTree

Good advice sawguy.
Still lots of brand new OEM Homelite parts out there on ebay etc. just takes a little searching like every collector knows.
Scores of defunct Homelites dealerships big and small all across North America yielded tons of unsold parts inventory. Some gone to the landfill others forgotten in someones shed.
It is a real pleasure to some, myself included to find a stache of 50 year old saw parts, guide bars or rolls of sawchain still unopened in their original wrappers.
Must be the Deja Vu feeling remembering what those parts cost in those days gone by.  :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

petefrom bearswamp

Bought mine in 1973, still runs but havent used it in about 3 years now.
Used it at my camp for light duty stuff, 18" bar.
Took it to my local shop about 20 years ago for a look see.
Guy took the plug out and we looked into the cyl with a mirror in bright sunlight
Badly scored to my mind
He said just run it until it dies.
At my camp it sat for weeks sometimes months at a time with (gasp) ethanol gas in it.
Last time I started it took 5 pulls.
Not a joy to run is why it is now retired
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Al_Smith

I think it was a Ford/Chevy thing back in the day .Some had McCullochs and some had Homelites .I've got a couple of XL-12's in one of my sheds that I assumed ran at one time.They may again .

hedgerow

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 29, 2018, 03:57:06 PM
I think it was a Ford/Chevy thing back in the day .Some had McCullochs and some had Homelites .I've got a couple of XL-12's in one of my sheds that I assumed ran at one time.They may again .
It was that way where I grew up some folks had Homelites and some had McCullochs kind of depended on which end of the county you lived in as what you had for a dealer . There were a fair amount of Sears saws in our area also as there was a big sears store in the county seat. Not a lot of logging in the area I grew up in. Only one saw mill in the area and they mostly cut cotton wood off the river bottoms for making pallets. 

Al_Smith

Sears never made a saw but sold models of other brands made to their specs .Fact Sears never really made anything .
What caused their rise to fame was two things,catalogs and credit . I won't delve into what caused their demise ,that's a horse of a different color so to speak .

pwrwagontom

Thanks for the replies guys!
I agree on the 24" bar, I have one now and it dogs quite a bit running it.  I'll look for a 20.
Always had the same experience with this thing; sits for 4 years?  starts second pull. bad gas? starts second pull.

Good tips on the tear down- I'll be looking at that stuff.  I've got the saw stripped and on my workbench, but my little sisters wedding temporarily halted the project until now.  I think I am going to find the valve really scored up.  

Never give an inch

pwrwagontom

I got 110 compression on this thing.  Pardon my ignorance, but is that decent for this saw?  
Never give an inch

sawguy21

You are fine considering the age of the saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Babylon519

I took a small engine night course at the local college 15 years ago. The single assignment was to bring a motor that doesn't run, and work on it each week. If it starts and runs the last week, you'd pass. I had a pair of old heavy Homelite C-72 saws that I think were from the early 1960s. Neither ran at the time. But at the end of the course, I was able to fire one up and cut wood. I passed!

Used that saw for two seasons when I first bought our hobby farm in '02. As we started to burn more wood, I had to upgrade - just got tired of lifting a 35-pound saw in the bush. :)  Fond memories though.      - Jason
Jason
1960 IH B-275 - same vintage as me!
1960 Circle Sawmill 42"
Stihl MS440 & a half-dozen other saws...

thedoublejranch

Quote from: Al_Smith on August 29, 2018, 03:57:06 PM
I had a Homelite Super XP1020 Automatic (had manual oiler too) and it had a huge bar, probably 28" or so. I gave it away about 5 years ago for a guy who wanted it for an Alaskan mill and the plug popped out. Apparently the cast aluminum over time becomes brittle and out came the plug and threads.
The Double J Ranch & Timber Farm.
Member "NWOA" National Woodland Owners Association"

Thank You Sponsors!