iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suffolk Setter(Dual tooth semi auto)

Started by Percy, September 27, 2003, 07:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Percy

I am scoping out a job that will require fast cutting Western Red Cedar for 8 hours a day.(My share of an ongoing fairly large order). This means many dull .055 thick blades that will need sharpening everyday. Resharp services are not available/feasable up here in the G.W.N.(Great White North).
Sooooo, Im thinkin  this particular setter could help me with my sharpening. My questions are..
1. Is this setter capable of setting a .055 WM blade??
2. Is it set and forget or are you always adjusting the thing for blade wear??

When it gets busy, I spend too much time sitting at the WM setter(10 miniutes per blade X  6 or 7 blades plus 2 passes for each blade on the grinder at 10 miniutes per pass = no life :'()
Im hopin this setter can alleiviate my whining ;D  LT70 blades are lonnnnnng..
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Fla._Deadheader

Percy, I built a Suffolk type setter :o  It's NOT precision machine work. I was in a hurry. Mine will NOT set WM blades.
  The adjustment on theirs is to raise the blade as it gets ground down. Once I get mine set, I just go for it and it does a good job on the less tensile strength Suffolk blades. I would call them and see what they say. I have found their advice to be accurate, and read where others are very satisfied with the Company Service.
  As you know, WM blades are TOUGH to set, but I do my blades in about 2 minutes, just like they advertise. My blades are 15'-6" long.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dugsaws

Percy, I cant say any thing about the wm blades, but the set time goes down considerbly from a single side set, I went from 20 min to about 4-5 min on a 15'8" blade. It takes a little time to make sure you have the blade height right, then set a few teeth, chechk the set, make adjustments(if needed) and set within 2 to 3 min.
  By the way I am setting the Simonds red streak blades with mine

Doug
Doug

Percy

Hey guys.
Thanks for the info. Ive emailed them concerning the .055 blades. Woodmizer does not recommend setting their .055 blades on their setter but I have done it with good results. Just takes too long. I was wondering just how hefty the Suffolk was?
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!