iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homelite super ez auto ?

Started by 9shooter, July 30, 2004, 03:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

A friend of mine has an old Homelite super ez auto chainsaw. HE needs some help identifying a part that is described as; Mounts on the crankshaft under the drive sprocket. He said it is a disk with indentations on both sides with 2 groves in it. He thinks it's part of the clutch. It broke in half. I haven't a clue as I've never owned a homelite. I can't find an exploded view of the parts. Any ideas?
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Lewis Brander

Usually there is a disk between the clutch and the crank bearing and seal to help protect the seal from foriegn material getting into it. It does sound like the washer may be part of the clutch. Try contacting Bill Walcott at:
< walcott@oz-online.net > , he should be able to tell you more about the saw and even have the parts. Good luck. lonebear30.
My hobby is restoring old saw. Just because it's old, doesn't mean she can't run and look good again. Take care. Lewis Brander.

Kevin

I need a better description.

It could be the clutch cover , next is the S shaped hub, clutch drum, needle bearing and inner race.

9shooter

Just saw the the part for the first time. It certainly looks like the clutch drum. This part is about 1/2" thick and 2 1/2" diameter. It has 2 slots in it that are somewhat hook shaped. My guess is that they are wired EDM'ed. Those slots are placed to narrow down the wall thickness near the outer edge of the part in a way to allow 2 'ears' to flex outward under rotational movement. Thanks for your help.

Kevin

Sounds like it could be the clutch hub ...

9shooter

Thanks for the replies, After determining that indeed he needed a new clutch, he decided to skip fixing the saw. @ $42 he figured it was good money after bad. I told him to buy a real saw ;D. May I suggest a Stihl or husqvarna?

redpowerd

id buy that saw for a parts saw if possible.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dean Hylton

I have a large stack of homelite saws. If you are looking for parts for them let me know.  I also have quite a few stihl and Husqvarna parts. My primary living is made on ebay selling parts.

Fla._Deadheader

Well then, Dean. Have ya got a couple of condensers for an 041 AV Stihl ??? Got a saw that runs good and then quits. Let 'er cool down, and off it goes for another spell, and then quits. ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dean Hylton

condensor?  are you looking for a coil?  I think we have a differant term out here.

Fla._Deadheader

Whadda I know ??? I never have been inside this saw. I bought it about 1979-80???  The local parts house said condenser and they are obsolete ???  I assume points means condenser ??? ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Ianab

Condenser = Capacitor
Old style ignition will have points, coil and a capacitor.
The capacitors can break down with time / heat / vibration and give the fault described by shorting out.
You can probably adapt something else to fit, but I guess space and shape will be a problem in something as compact as a chainsaw. ::)
How it works...
http://www.vtr.org/maintain/ignition.html

ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dean Hylton

I think I have a couple of the points sets here.  There is a chip though that takes the place of all that.  Any Stihl dealer carries them.  I know service saw and Madsen's in Chehalis both carry them.

Fla._Deadheader

Dean, yer sayin I could switch to electronic ignition on this saw ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

redpowerd

welcome to the forum, mr. brander!
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Dean Hylton

yes you can. for about $40 you can bolt the chip to your coil and bypass your points.  Check with Madsen's (360) 736-1336   :-X However if you are convinced you want to stick with points I get $40 for a used points and coil set.

Fla._Deadheader

What about the condenser ??? Is there one in the saw ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Dean Hylton

points and condensor are both part of the same package under the flywheel.  The chip replaces both.  You still need to keep your coil though

Thank You Sponsors!