iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl ms361 cutting out

Started by Filthyliam, March 31, 2015, 01:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filthyliam

Hi all I was wondering if anyone could help with this. My 2007 model of the above when warm ticks over quite eratically then cuts out varying in time when you put it on he ground between moving timbers eg 15-40 seconds. Restart without choke takes 2-3 pulls, it doesn't bog at all.  I don't think it's fuel as I use the same stuff which is about 3 months old in my 200t on the same day without issue. The 361 is regularly serviced and has had this complaint investigated several times fuel filter plug air filter clutch springs and 2 sets of carb gaskets all within the last 4 years approx the saw doesn't get over used much and I am wondering if anyone else has any suggestions? Thanks in advance !

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Has the rubber connection between the carb and the engine been replaced?

Have been very happy with the way my MS361 runs, as has my son.
But when these things have problems, finding that problem can be frustrating.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

I have had a lot of troubles with mine since new, I have never been satisfied with the way it starts or runs, the last time I brought it back to the dealer he changed the crank seals, also have had trouble with the tank vent.
I find myself going back to my 26 year old Dolmar 115 and being happier with it.

Things that it did/ does that in my opinion seem odd.

Takes it's time idling down and runs lean when the throttle is released for 5 to 10 seconds.
Idols fast for a bit then almost stalls then picks back up.
Starts hard after sitting, even over night, much worse after a few weeks.
Acts like it is running out of gas but still has 1/3 tank of gas.

I have a theory about the last one, one time I needed a fuel filter for my Dolmar 115 (it has a heavy filter with felt over it) but did not want to drive to the dealer to get one so I stopped at a different brand dealer much closer and got a filter from him that is much like the stihl filter, the 115 ran good until about ½ a tank of gas the would act like it is running out of gas and then normal for a bit, switched back to a heavy filter and it worked normal again. When it runs out of gas there is only a few drops left in the tank. Going to see if I can try the Dolmar filter in the stihl sometime to see if it makes any difference.

thecfarm

Filthyliam,welcome to the forum. Sounds like an on going problem? My 372 started to act kinda like that. Just out of the blue. Was an impulse line. Than about a year later more problems. This time crank seals and rubbers.  :o Money. Than a few months later another line was split,sucking air. Been fine for more than a year now. I guess all the rubber seals and lines has been replaced.  ;D  None of this was done by me,I have to rely on a dealer for help.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JohnG28

With ethanol in fuel now days 4 years can be a long time for fuel lines and carb gaskets.  That would be the first place to check along with the fuel and air filters.  I haven't had any problems with mine but its 4 or 5 years old so probably will be seeing these things pop up soon.  Leaving fuel in it while it sits more than a week or two will increase the rate at which these problems occur.  You said filters and carb gaskets were replaced in last 4 years, did the issues go away when this was done or has this been a 4 year long issue?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

black

Two sets of carb kits in one chainsaws life don't sound right, I think you need to move to a different shop.
If you cant do it your self ask the shop to remove the barrel and check the ring gap. When the compression is down they do that wont idle thing. If that checks out blank off the exhaust port and the intake, then pressure test the crankcase to .6 bar. This is the only way to know if there is leaks. Any chainsaw mechanic/shop will have the kit to do this job. If the dont have a pressure test kit run.
If all that is okay check the fuel pickup filter in the tank and the tank vent. Both are cheap and I would just replace them. The carb needs to be pressure tested before installation, up to .4 bar. If the crankcase or carb lose pressure even slowly, you will have these problems.
If the chain is not running forward on idle you don't need clutch springs and springs got nothing to do with idle.
When you run the machine full throttle (not sawing wood but free running) does the engine run away or can you hear it governing itself?

Filthyliam

Hi all thanks for the replies sorry i haven't sent one back I thought my email would alert me when I had one ! In answer to most of the points when the gaskets etc had been replaced it worked ok for a short while then not again I don't think it's fuel as my second hand 200t that I bought from ebay runs perfectly fine on it. I did raise the tickover by one whole screw turn the other night which seems to have cured it and it doesn't seem to be ticking over too fast sounds just about right the chain does need to be kept tight as when you shut off from sawing the chain doesn't stop straight away may have been a bit slack anyway got a windfall to deal with next weekend so I will see how it fairs then anything else I should try or could it just have been that they had set it for emissions not performance ?

JohnG28

Did you get this saw new or used? If you have had since new it should have limit caps on the carb unless you have defeated them. They would prevent the H and L screws from getting too far out of whack but the idle screw could have been off I suppose. Still may not be solved either but see how it's goes.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Filthyliam

Yes I have had it from new all I did was let it run at tickover and turned the screw round and it has been fine since it ran easily for 5 mins ticking over the other eve I'm not sure if it has ever been messed with carb settings wise or not I will tighten up the chain and see how I get on !

Thank You Sponsors!