iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

harvester bar straightener ideas

Started by lmo506, November 09, 2014, 04:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmo506

So I want to build a bar straightener. Has anyone got any pics they can post to help me save some trial and error when designing one?
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

snowstorm

i built my own using a porta power and some steel i had. used a piece of 3/8"plate for a base. 3"square tube for uprights flatbar across then to support the porta power cyl and another flat bar bent like a triangle over the top of the cyl to hold it in place. then 2 short peices of 2x4 and piece of steel pipe. the pipe seems to work better against the bar when trying to get the kinks out

bushmechanic

The last one I made for in the woods I used a 12 ton jack and made a box out of 3/8 plate that the jack could slide into. I then cut out two notches so the bar could slide through the box above the jack. Too bad I didn't take a pic of it cause a picture is worth a thousand words and I don't even know where it is now.

Northern Timber Harvesting

I built one out of a stump and a 5lb sledge, it worked great.

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Northern Timber Harvesting on November 09, 2014, 09:07:20 AM
I built one out of a stump and a 5lb sledge, it worked great.
yep, had better luck with a sledge and two scraps of 1" plate

1270d

Hydraulic shop press, hammering using a short 8lb sledge and anvil works OK, but a press doesn't stretch the metal as bad and seems to leave more spring to the bar.

Ken

We now use a shop press.  Simple, cheap and seems to work considerably better than a sledge 
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Corley5

Ten ton shop press is all I've ever used.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

lmo506

Thanks guys, I read a post on here about using a woodsplitter too. And i happen to have one of those
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

treeslayer2003

i never could get a twist out with a press like i can with a sledge.........90 degree bends, yes.

Thank You Sponsors!