iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Special Chainsaw handle, cutting small stems standing upright

Started by KBforester, July 25, 2011, 08:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KBforester

Trees are good.

tonto

looks like it could be a back saver with a small saw. Don't think it would work well on a MS880 though!! Looking forward to more info. Tonto.
Stihl MS441 & Husqvarna 562XP. CB5036 Polaris Sportsman 700 X2. Don't spend nearly enough time in the woods.

isawlogs

That would be good for someone like SwampDonkey, he could use a real saw for work  ;D :)  But it would probably suite SpruceBunny the best with all her brush clearing and trail making. I think the back would be thankfull.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

That was the Russian style of chainsaw for 30-40 years. This one appears to be light in weight and the cutting conditions ideal.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

I cannot download the video but what happens when it catches on a twig and that little sucker kicks back  180 degrees ??? ???

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Ron Scott

Looks like it might be useful for some small wood operations. My back could use it. ;)
~Ron

mad murdock

Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

KBforester

Quote from: jim king on July 25, 2011, 10:51:03 AM
I cannot download the video but what happens when it catches on a twig and that little sucker kicks back  180 degrees ??? ???

Well its got those bars that you tuck between or against your leg (Its kind of hard to tell, a closer look would be helpful), but I think if the saw kicks back, those bars would either hold the saw from kicking back, or push your leg out the the way so it doesn't cut YOU down. I shared the same concern though.
Trees are good.

shelbycharger400

that deal is pritty neat, but i personally liked how he was revin it up when he was walkin..   BAD IDEA!
so... if you trip, chain is rollin.... what if...when you land face forward ?
That and I have to add, only holding the handle with one hand cutting.  :-\  that think kicks back, no way your holding it with one hand even if its an 019 equiv. 

I learned Years ago. BOTH hands on the saw, . best idea is to go to work area and fire up the saw, but  if your walkin with a runnin saw, dont rev it when walking,  hold it somewhat close, and be ready to either throw it forward or off to the left ( im right handed)   I have saved myself from landing on the saw more than once when i have tripped walkin in snow covered fields/ pastures, finding the downed fence with my boot.

sprucebunny

That's perfect ! I see how it works, keeping the saw and any kickback away from your leg but it might be tough on knees.

I'm going to look into that !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

01crewcab

I saw it on a different site. It's made in one of the Scandinavian countries, I believe Norway. I looked it up couldn't understand what was written. I'll see if I can find it again.
2100(2),480, 281, 181,372XPW, 460,435,350,61(4),51-Huskys
49SP, 630Super(3),670's(4), 830, 920, 930 Jonsered's
S-XL925 Homelite
SP125C, 790, 250, 1010 Macs
27Ton Troybilt Splitter
NRA Life Endowment Member
Viet Nam Vet

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: isawlogs on July 25, 2011, 09:30:33 AM
That would be good for someone like SwampDonkey, he could use a real saw for work  ;D :) 

I'll be keeping my brush saw.  I don't want to be thinning anything any bigger than I have to right now. :D :D

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DR_Buck

I like it.   :)   I need to find out where to get one.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

KBforester

And if we can't find one, someone here with more know how should start producing them and make some $$. I'd buy one.
Trees are good.

Hilltop366

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on July 25, 2011, 04:45:30 PM
that deal is pritty neat, but i personally liked how he was revin it up when he was walkin..   BAD IDEA!
so... if you trip, chain is rollin.... what if...when you land face forward ?
That and I have to add, only holding the handle with one hand cutting.  :-\  that think kicks back, no way your holding it with one hand even if its an 019 equiv. 

I learned Years ago. BOTH hands on the saw, . best idea is to go to work area and fire up the saw, but  if your walkin with a runnin saw, dont rev it when walking,  hold it somewhat close, and be ready to either throw it forward or off to the left ( im right handed)   I have saved myself from landing on the saw more than once when i have tripped walkin in snow covered fields/ pastures, finding the downed fence with my boot.

Some good points made about walking with a saw.

I apply the chain brake often when using the saw, I will use the brake when walking, holding saw top handle with left hand while clearing a branch with right hand or setting saw down to move something that requires two hands. Some may wonder why I would bother to use the brake when my right hand is no where near the throttle trigger, on a lot of saws if you apply enough pressure on the bar while holding on to the handles the engine will rev up which will turn the chain, if you are falling and land on your saw (either holding on to saw or saw setting on the ground) there is a good chance it will rev up.

beenthere

Quote from: Hilltop366 on July 27, 2011, 09:15:43 AM.....................................................

, on a lot of saws if you apply enough pressure on the bar while holding on to the handles the engine will rev up which will turn the chain, if you are falling and land on your saw (either holding on to saw or saw setting on the ground) there is a good chance it will rev up.

What brand or model of saw was that?  Of the few brands I've used (but mostly Stihl), have never experienced a saw rev'ing up unless a finger moved the throttle (or a stick on the older saws without the extra throttle safety latch).  Just curious.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Hilltop366

The guy that pointed this out to me back in the late 80's was using Husky if I remember correctly, My old saw a Dolmar 115 would do this, I now have a Stihl 361 but have never tested it to see if it did or not. I guess it just became habit to apply the brake now, I figure why take the chance, I always try the brake when first starting the saw and I figure using it once and a while is better than not using it at all.

The cause of the saw revving up when the bar is pushed down is the design of the throttle linkage and way saws are built with engine (and carb) being separated from the handles with rubber or spring mounts, when you push down on the bar in the right angle it will push the rear handle towards the carb which causes the linkage to push the carb open and increase engine speed. The same thing happens some times when the bar is pinched.

I can't say for sure how many saws do this but I do know that some definitely do. Keep in mind also that a lot more pressure would be applied if you are falling than during normal use.

It would be interesting to know what other saws do this.

beenthere

I've had my MS361 pinched, and have exerted fair amount of force to remove it without ever getting an increase in rpm. Also never had a problem with the 35 year old Stihl 041.
south central Wisconsin

SwampDonkey

Sounds to me like the idle was set too high or a bad carb.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Ya just gotta know where to look.  :)

http://www.apurituote.fi/

Check out the attached PDF.

Item No.: ATKKKM
Price: 264 euros = 383.3016 US dollars

Recommended use:
medium-capacity chainsaw with
40-50 cc engines
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Got a 57 cc brush saw, so I feel that trumps any chainsaw for the intended application. ;D

Ron Scott

I agree that you have the right tool for your type tree work. ;)
~Ron

metalspinner

That work almost looked enjoyable. ::)

I'll bet with metal electrical conduit and a conduit bender you could have one of those handle frames knocked out in an afternoon. 
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!