iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cat 518 cabble skidder

Started by cutter88, March 31, 2013, 04:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

looking at a cat 518 cabble skidder it is a 1986 ivenever even seen a cat cable skidder up close any info would be great... I know the motor will be tuff what about the tranny and winch??????
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

lumberjack48

Good machine, i personally wouldn't buy one because of the expense to fix a major break down.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

coxy

i got 81 cat its tuff and tuff on fuel the tranny well try to run it get it up to temp try pushing some thing or pulling it to see if tranny slips  i have a gearmatic 119 on mine its great but can be a pain in the    some times      i got a price a month or so ago on a rebuilt tranny from cat 18,000 so make shur it DONT SLIP get it up to temp  try 1st and 2nd  3rd in mine just wasting your time its way to fast cant sit in the seat       just my 4 cents   good luck

John Woodworth

I ran a 518 grapple with winch(mdl.19 Gearmatic) and loved it, when working it how it's ment to be worked 40 gallons a day of fuel is the norm. Check the ring assembly between the two halfs where it swiv'els for cracks around the base rings, maintaince will be high on repairs but it will move a lot of wood with full calcium in the tires.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

logloper

Parts may be pricey, but they are readily available and usualy here overnight.

Thank You Sponsors!