iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What Brush Cutters & Clearing Saws Do You Use

Started by jpsheb, February 02, 2012, 09:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jpsheb

Interested in finding out what kinds of brush cutters & clearing saws you all use to keep your woods clear!

I have alot of brush, vines, briars, brambles, etc to clear and am just now getting around to addressing this properly (as opposed to using a chainsaw and machete).  To deal with the smaller stuff, I have on order a Shindaiwa C3410 (the 2010 version of http://www.hybrid4engine.com/category/brushcutters/C344/ with a harness and 8" cutting wheel).  Anyone use one of these?  Everything I've read seems to say this is a saw that you should be able to use all day pretty easily since the engine (a 2/4-stroke hybrid) is smoother running than a standard 2-stroke. 

When I start taking care of bigger stuff--especially when cleaning up in the SYP stands, I'll need to get something bigger.  There seems to be alot out there, so I'd like to hear what you all got and what you like (or don't ) about different cutters & trimmers. 

-JPSHEB

jocco

For me the very big husky and jonsereds. Years ago we had homelite and MAC's the ones with a chainaw motor on them. Kept them for my collection. Probably the shidiwa is a good unit just not a dealer withing 300 miles of me. The bigger efco's (not echo) seem ok. Echo does not seem to build bigger units now. Many people run stihl they are a good saw but i was just never into them. Good luck by the way there is some training books videos on clearing saws that may be helpfull.
You may check out but you will never leave

Texas Ranger

Can you use fire in North Carolina?  Sounds like the stuff is suitable for a control burn.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Bogue Chitto

I have the biggest Stihl weed eater with a skill saw carbide saw blade.  Carbide blade last a long time. 

John Mc

Be very careful if you are using a table saw or circular saw blade in your brush cutter. They are not rated for the RPMs a brush saw or clearing saw runs. They are also not rated for the impacts that a clearing saw has to stand up to. The combination (low RPM rating, little or no impact resistance) can be deadly... the shrapnel created when one of those blades comes apart is not something you want to be around.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Ed_K

John is right,if your using the ones that have the holes and slots for harmonc balance,it'll come apart for just running into a 2" tree.I had a Dang good black and blue, real glad i was wearing chaps.I use solid 8" blades and haven't had any problems with them.
Ed K

Bogue Chitto

Thanks for the warning.   I also use the solid 8" blades.  Using them for years and never had a problem.  Never used the ones with slots. 

John Mc

You should also be inspecting them regularly for cracks, or even small chips or dings. You may be spinning these as much as 3 times their rated RPM. A crack or ding is a stress concentrator, which will grow with vibration or repeated impacts. A typical table saw blade won't take much of that.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Thank You Sponsors!