iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

slabs, what do you do with them?

Started by tstex, July 17, 2009, 08:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Hey Guys,

Been off the boards for awhile.  Really liked Jeff's pic's on the lumber he milled...also going on a bear-hunt to say he was really going to cut lumber, or is it the other way around?

Anyway, with the trailer full of end-pieces [slabs], do you guys have a use for these other that burning/mulching them?  Just curious.

Thanks,
tom

Pls send some rain to TX...

Mr Mom

Some people use it as siding on small sheds and parts of there house.
Other than that your choises are limited.
Firewood is what i use it for.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

jimparamedic

If I can get at least a 1"x1"x4' out of a slab I make dryers or stakes if there is bark left I peel it off by the time I use them they are pretty dry I have 2 small out house size sheds that I fill up with dryers and I alternate back and forth so they have time to dry. I dont run out of dryers this way and I dont rip up good lumber to make dryers. Stakes are around 2"x2"and as short as 2'. Small logs get made into 3"x3"s and 4"x4"s to start lumber piles on. What I have left is mostly ready to go into the stove. I have even used my thickness planer to make shaving for animal pens.I have recovered some lumber this way. Hope this helps I hate to waste anything. I have also used slabs for cross bracing in my sheds.

DRB

You can use them as a top row on a pile of lumber being air dried. It keeps the rain out if you stack them tight on the top.  They make good firewood as well. Big operations chip them and sell them to the pulp mills. 

Tom

Or..........  you can make money with them.

Link1

Link2

Link3

There are a lot of threads and pictures on Slab Furniture on the forum, as well as some instructions on how to make some of them.

Sawdust4sale

We used to have giant multi-cow bbq's with a 14 million btu fire with them. Not eco-friendly but the cost is low. We have lots of WRC slabs which is nice for getting a fire going but beyond that it burns to quick. What type of slabs? When we cut hard-wood or hemlock/spruce/balsam we can't keep the slabs in the yard one day. What about a firewood market? Cheep, cost effective and you can tade slabs for beer like us! I like this slab furniture idea. Thanks.

ohsoloco

Sell the hardwood as firewood.  Had trouble giving it away years ago, but as soon as I put a price on it I never seem to have enough  ;)

Bibbyman

We're probably selling about half the slabs to people and they cut them into firewood.  We ask $10/PU load and they hand load.  We have a few customers that will bring and leave a trailer and we dump on what comes off the mill "as is". 

I put the edgings in another pile and when the weather conditons are right, I burn them along with excess slabs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Puffergas

I'm slowly starting to make charcoal out of my waste wood. Charcoal has many uses from metallurgical to outdoor grills. I plan on using it to fuel my Jeep or maybe someday my mill.
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

beenthere

Any pics and info on how you are making the charcoal? Sounds interesting.

What are your storage plans for keeping the charcoal?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ladylake

$20 a bundle here, pays for my diesel and then some.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Puffergas

Beenthere,

I'm just starting slowly with a 55 gallon drum. See link below:
http://www.puffergas.com/historic/rules/rules.html

There's more ways to make charcoal than I can count up to.

You don't have to use it as a fuel that's just one of my goals after all why should I, a cottage industry person, help make a few rich people from a far away place get richer. Why not keep the money local?

Another use for charcoal is to enrich the soil. It's already being used in potting soil. People even eat the stuff....

It's just one more option.
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

WH_Conley

Tell us more about the potting soil. Not really sure about the recipes.  ???
Bill

tstex

Guys,

Thank you very much for the info, links and insight.

I had a bunch of pine milled and ripped some of the 1 1/4" x 12" x 12' into lattice boards: (3) 4" x 12' lattice boards to screw down some new metal roofing material.  Since I had this lumber milled, I had such a problem tossing the remaining 1' - 2' long pieces, so i ripped these in halfs and made picture frames:  8" x 10"'s. Then the ends of these I cut and made 4" size State of TX's...

If I would have bought the wood instead [as I did before getting on these boards and milling my own], I would have just tossed them...very addicted to saving the smallest pieces for anything.

Anyone have a tooth-pic maker ? :) :D

backwoods sawyer

¼"x ¼" chopsticks were a big seller at the country fair, as were the spoons and flower planters. It is just a mater of how much time you want to put into using all the small pieces that are left over.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Puffergas

Potting soil; I'm not sure of the mixture of the potting soil. Kind of a trade secret? But it would be part compost. The charcoal helps to store good microbes and water. Sometimes called biochar or Terra Preta.

Storage; Right now I do not have much to store but I store it in metal containers like steel trash cans or 55 gallon drums
Jeff

Puffergas

I've used slab wood as a base for driveways. Just lay down the slabs about a foot in depth and spread gravel over top. Doesn't seem to rot and has good drainage. Can't beat it with a stick!
Jeff

Paul_H

Quote from: Puffergas on July 17, 2009, 05:12:51 PM
I'm slowly starting to make charcoal out of my waste wood. Charcoal has many uses from metallurgical to outdoor grills. I plan on using it to fuel my Jeep or maybe someday my mill.

Puffergas already built a woodgas powered IH pickup way back in the early 1980's and still keeps his hand in the game.
Here is the link to his woodgas truck,

WoodgasTruck
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ohsoloco

Quote from: Bibbyman on July 17, 2009, 02:52:37 PM
I put the edgings in another pile and when the weather conditons are right, I burn them along with excess slabs.

I like to keep all of the hardwood edgings for myself.  Just cut it to length, and it's ready to go on top of the kindling to get my woodstove going.  No splitting required  :)   Of course, I don't saw a whole lot of lumber, so I can use all I produce.

Bibbyman

We can make a year's supply of edgings for kindling in a day's production so I don't bother saving them back for that use.

We have about a dozen of these boxes we've built to fill with end trimming of lumber and such.  It's mid-July and they're all full and waiting for heating season.  I have to admit being a redneck and tell that come winter time,  I just fork up boxs of wood and bring them to the front porch (that's at the back of the house).  I can put up to four of these boxes at one time under the porch roof.

As for kindling,  we have collected up a half a dozen five gallon buckets.  When the girls are filling the inside woodbox, they look for small pieces of wood and large pieces of bark to fill the bucket.  When it comes time to kindle a fire,  I have a bucket of dry kindling ready.

We do have one slab customer that does pick through the edging pile and selects the heavier and longer items.  He has a rack built that he fills with edgings and then saws them up in mass.  He has some "yard ape" size kids he puts to work bringing in the wood so the smaller size works well for him.  But we still produce far more edgings than he can use.

P.S.  Once a box on the front porch is empty, it is often used to collect the household discarded items from cleanup day. (We can easily fill one from cleaning up before a holiday event and then again after the event.) When it's time to restock the firewood supply, the box goes back out to the sawmill and is emptied in the dumpster.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

My slabs keep me warm in the winter,mixed with larger stuff.Pine burns clean if you don't try to choke down the air too much.You don't use them when trying to hold a fire overnight but when you around to keep them fed.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!