iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sugar Pine

Started by oregonsawer, July 27, 2009, 02:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oregonsawer

I have some really nice sugar pine logs.
They our about 30 inches on the but.

I am just at a loss as what to saw them in to. For the best market?
Any help out their?
Oregonsawer.

thedeeredude

Not much help, but there is a furniture shop near here that uses sugar pine for most everything.  If you want their contact info let me know.

Slabs

Yours is probably nothing like our Florida Panhandle Choctawhatchee Sand Pine known locally as "Sugar Pine" but if it is, it's a great box and sash material.  Ours is fine grain, maybe a bit of cross in the grain and quite stable.  Saw 5/4 and let the fabricator plane to his specs.

I like to work with ours.  It's a great material.  Hope yours is too.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

WDH

Traditionally, clear sugar pine has been a highly desirable wood for trim and molding.  Very pricey too, so if you have some good clear logs, you could cut it 4/4 as feed stock for trim and molding.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

backwoods sawyer

5/4 x 12" and pass on the vertical grain as it cracks along the wide growth rings. Flat sawn has a desirable grain pattern. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

kderby

I agree with backwoods sawyer.  That is a very marketable dimension for good pine logs.  For a quick sale, board and batten will use up the narrower lumber as well as the 1x12's.

If you can find a person with a moulder or a sashmaker they might pay for some 6/4. 

Sticker it properly and keep it out of the weather.  A strong selling point for sugar pine is the bright and uniform color of the wood.

I do not know of historic specialty uses for sugar pine.  I would bet a the Timber Framers Guild would enjoy some beautiful timbers.  Isn't it famous for making nice match sticks? 

I don't have any over here by John Day.  I am jealous.  Enjoy your logs. 8)

Kderby

Thank You Sponsors!