iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter has struck!

Started by VT-Woodchuck, December 06, 2019, 07:50:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT-Woodchuck

Snow on the ground and my LT15 is covered and hibernating peacefully. I did build a saw shed this year that covers the power unit so it is better protected than previous years. I had heart surgery in June and September and October weren't long enough for me to get caught up. Didn't get accomplished what I wanted to, but.......

Even though I'm not sawing, I'm thinking about next summer and a question comes to mind. What implements, accessories, gadgets do you use to make life easier// more efficient when milling? Winter is a good time for projects!

Magicman

It looks very peaceful there and your sawmill is sleeping soundly.  smiley_sleeping

Ah the wait.  Thankfully I do not have to wait for Winter to be over, just for this knee to recover.  I have only been down for 2½ weeks and am already anxious to smell sawdust.  I know, I know, but this patient sometimes has very little patience.  :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hacknchop

Hang in there MM taking all the time you need to recover , just keep posting and commenting then before you know it you'll be back in somebody's yard turning logs into lumber and of course "magic money".:)
Often wrong never indoubt

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Magicman on December 06, 2019, 08:49:56 AM
It looks very peaceful there and your sawmill is sleeping soundly.  smiley_sleeping

Ah the wait.  Thankfully I do not have to wait for Winter to be over, just for this knee to recover.  I have only been down for 2½ weeks and am already anxious to smell sawdust.  I know, I know, but this patient sometimes has very little patience.  :-\
Something doesn't feel right when you're not sawing.  Hope you get better quickly.  smiley_wavy
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Andries

Quote from: VT-Woodchuck on December 06, 2019, 07:50:07 AM
...... What implements, accessories, gadgets do you use to make life easier// more efficient when milling? Winter is a good time for projects!
A clever guy on the FF once said: " it's a material handling problem with a sawmill in the centre ".
So, to make all the handling easier, make up some Bibbyman sawhorses.  They are a super design for right next to the mill. You can stack and sticker on them, freeing up the loader for slabs, logs everything else. 
A sticker house is also a good off season project, and both projects can be made in a warm shop.
Run a search in the sawmilling part of the Forum, there's tons of good ideas in there with all the design mistakes worked out of 'em.
🔥🎄🔥
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

florida

No kidding! It was 45 here this morning so we all stayed home. :D
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: florida on December 06, 2019, 12:45:29 PM
No kidding! It was 45 here this morning so we all stayed home. :D
I'm sorry, but this is kind of "in your face".  ;D If we got a 45° day here, I don't care ow sick I was, I would be out there making hay of some sort. I don't feel bad for ya, sorry. ;D :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bruno of NH

Right now it's snowing out again and been out side working on the skid steer.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SawyerTed

Low 50's here.  Today was a leaf cleanup day and day for cleaning out the tractor and boat sheds. The Doctor and I had a good day.

I'm sure we aren't cutout for harsh winters and we get our fill of snow the four or five times a year it does. 

While it may seem like we Southern Boys "rub it in a bit", we really do respect our brethren from the North and your resilience in dealing with the snow and cold. 

Remember us when the temperature is 98 and the humidity is 90 percent in July and August. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

K-Guy

@SawyerTed 

I don't feel bad about living someplace that gets a little snow and cold, when I see the hurricanes and tornadoes you guys get. I'm grateful.
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 06, 2019, 04:02:24 PM

Remember us when the temperature is 98 and the humidity is 90 percent in July and August.
I didn't mean to imply we had it worse than anybody else over the course of a year. It's our turn for the challenging work weather, that's all. We get our share of 95°/95% humidity days, but not too many. I have have family on the gulf coast and I have been down there when it so so hot and humid that you could swing your hand through the air and it comes up wet. Now its one thing to be sitting on the dock or the beach and complaining about the heat, but it's another to be trying to work in it. ;D We all get it one way or the other. SOme years we get it worse than most. I hope this ain't one of them. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Chuck White

Once in a while it seems like we have the advantage over you guys in the South!

This time of year we can stack our snow, how many of you have ever tried stacking rain?  ;D

Just sayin'!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SawyerTed

The handiest "gadget" I've added to my home site is roller conveyors and slides made from dump truck liners.  Roller conveyors to move cut lumber and slabs away from the mill.  Some I've purchased some I've built. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Southside

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 06, 2019, 04:02:24 PMRemember us when the temperature is 98 and the humidity is 90 percent in July and August

Those are the days I look forward to that time of year.  It sure feels nice when it cools off like that after a warm spell....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

VT-Woodchuck

Even though it is past my milling time frame, work continues in the wood lot. I have quite a bit of Ash and seeing that the EAB is only 5-10 miles away, I decided to log of the really good ash - 18" and up. The market for ash is poor but I hated to see it just die and be cut up for firewood. To sweeten the pot a little, the forester marked some mature maple, birch and pine. Some of the maple and birch are veneer grade and that's exciting. Next year I will mill up some of the smaller ash for personal use. The last time this lot was logged was back in the early 50's, so it was a good time to improve the growing conditions for the rest of the trees. It will also improve wildlife habitat and maybe get some grouse back.

Ed_K

Do the forester's tell you to leave the smaller younger ash? The thought is that the EAB won't bother them as they tend to fly from top to top an miss the under story trees. We've been doing this now for 7 yrs now in western Ma.
Ed K

VT-Woodchuck

Ed, one reason was that I am going to mill some of the ash that I can handle more easily. I had not heard about EAB liking to stay high, but the forester said that there may be some evidence that some ash may be more immune than others. The two may be related, who knows?

Thank You Sponsors!