iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

utv's

Started by xlogger, February 10, 2018, 04:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: Crusarius on February 15, 2018, 12:59:19 PM
so lots of room for improvement :)

Yeah, but there is an upside to that drive train: the same thing that makes for a larger turning radius also makes it drive through just about anything. If just one wheel has traction, you're going to move, and because of the articulation, it's very rare that only one wheel has traction: all four wheels are on the ground regardless of terrain. High ground clearance and a smooth belly lets it get through a lot of tough situations. And there is the amphibious part: no one would think that a 1000# hunk of steel and rubber would float - it sure doesn't look like it would. It can make for some fun reactions when we "accidentally" drive into out pond with someone who is not familiar with a Coot. Speed in water with the original military jeep tires is only about 2 knots. The propeller out-drive increased that to about 4 or 5 knots. (which is why I'd like to eventually get my nicer Coot set up with the prop. The "woods beater" will not get a prop - one more thing to worry about banging up in the woods.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

I know all about that stuff :) here is my other UTV.

John Mc

Holy Toledo! You don't need a Coot, or a UTV for that matter!
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

with the UTV I can fit between the trees. And I don't care much about the body on my UTV. This is how it came to me. The only thing that was holding it together was the mud

petefrom bearswamp

Thanks for the useful hint Paul.
Cresarius what does it look like now?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Crusarius

I will have to get a picture next time I have it out. This is what the knuckle is supposed to look like.

This is how it actually looked

Thats what happens when there is a bad wheel bearing and you just continue to beat on it.

caveman

We have a TS gator.  It is a handy tool hauler and my daughter uses it daily to haul the hog manure trailer to the compost pile.  I have had to weld the exhaust manifold back to the exhaust flange but other than that it has been trouble free.  It has over 1500 hours.  The little machine will high center pretty easily and being a 2wd it is about useless in hilly terrain (I hauled it to the N. Georgia Mountains once), but with the floatation tires and the differential lock it does relatively well in mud and sand.

The trailer was made from an old, worn out JD AMT.
Caveman

Kbeitz

I have been enjoying my mules. They have a rough life.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!