iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Iron ?

Started by Paddlefish, August 29, 2011, 09:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlefish

Looking to get a shingle mill and run some of my older equipment . How many members use the old stuff ?

Carpenter

Everybody wants a shingle mill.  I like the old stuff too.  I watched a shingle mill run at an antique tractor show.  It was a pancake style mill, all babbit bearings, flatbelt driven and it ran so smooth and quiet.  I was inspired to get an old handset circular mill.  I haven't ran it since I got the bandmill, but one of these days I will get back to that old mill.  Last year I bought a 1926 planer, it is actually a semi-modern machine with ball bearings.  I really like it. 

paul case

Quote from: Paddlefish on August 29, 2011, 09:17:36 PM
How many members use the old stuff ?

i farm with'' the old stuff''. between my dad and i, we have 8 tractors that we use on occasion made before 53.  2-wd allis, 4 h farmalls, 1- w6 farmall, 1 m farmall. among the others we use are 1-8n ford, 3- 930 cases, 1-970 case, 1 480 case backhoe, 1- 580b- case, 1- 1086 ih,1-1972 yale forklift, and 1- 460 farmall. the newest tractor we have is a 1981 model. our hay baler is a 1979 model.

i realize that may not be old by your standard but that is not new.

my sawmill is a 2008 bandmill but i am working on an older corely edger. it should be up and running in a day or 2. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Onthesauk

Have a friend who runs a shingle mill, (although doesn't cut much with the economy the way it is.)  Believe the mill was build in 1905.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Dave_

The "old stuff" is what I'm about.  The older, the better.  I am running a 1940's vintage Belsaw mill that I restored from a pile of scrap.  You can look at some of my pics to see some of my old stuff.  I will be picking up an old planer later on this month.  I grew up with stories of my granddad gypo sawmilling back in the day and I guess it just got in my blood.  My dad tells stories of growing up in logging camps and watching the cutters hand file their falling axes and misery whips at lunch time while my grandma prepared food in the mess hall.  My grandad tended the mules that skidded logs.  My family settled out here in 1848 so we have more than a few stories to keep me thinking back to the "good old days" :D

Paddlefish

Keepem' comin' ! old is as old does ! I run an old tilt bed buzz saw with my great grand fathers Hercules from '21 and I love hearing the govenor set it to fire every stroke . I could do it with the chainsaw in a fraction of the time but what fun is that ? My son and his buddies treat an afternoon like a living history lesson (and I get some wood stacked for lemonade and pizza ) !

bandmiller2

Old is all I can afford,all my tractors have two cylinders my circular mill cut the blowdowns from the 38 hurricane.Puddlefish be aware cutting shingles gets boreing fast and it takes scads of them to do anything.Old shinglemakers usally have trouble ordering more than two beers.Trouble now is thems that have shinglemills know what their worth.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave_

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 31, 2011, 06:32:00 AM
Old shinglemakers usally have trouble ordering more than two beers.

...not to mention the "lack of thumbs" syndrome :D

Paddlefish

Had an older gentleman next door offered to show me how to sharpen and set a blade with a hammer and 2X4 , I'm clueless . Is there a place on the net that explains this ? The man was airborne during Korea and feared nothing but God ,but cancer took him this spring . Along with more knowledge than I will learn about the old ways of doing things . :(

park ranger

The dozer that never fails me is a 1957 JD420C.  I load the sawmill with the 1960's Ford 600 and move the bigger logs with the Case 530 backhoe but the oldest iron I have is the 1923 beam off a highway bridge that holds the sawmill shed up. 
When I had to drill a 1" hole 1" deep for my Fords loader I did it with my hand crank post drill (slow but sure).

rpg52

Paddlefish,
There is a good book on sharpening/using axes and saws called, "The Ax Book", subtitled "The Lore and Science of the Woodcutter", by D. Cook.  Still in print I think, contact Alan C. Hood & Co., Inc. Chambersburg PA 17201, or check out hoodbooks.com.
I was inspired to get an "efficient" ax and an elderly crosscut saw through ebay.  They are pretty cheap if you know what you are looking for.  Hard to start on cold mornings though.
Ray
Belsaw circle mill, in progress.

Paddlefish

Thanks for the book callout ,I have it on order through Amazon.com ,what I'm actually looking for is a how to on tuning a circle blade to run in my buzz rig off the back of the tractor or my hit or miss engine . Sorry so long to respond .Bud

bandmiller2

Bud, a tool to set your saw is not hard to make. Take a heavy steel bar grind a slight bevel at one end like about 3/8" back from the end.Take a socket that fits the arbor hole closely and bolt it to the bar so the tips of the teeth will pass over the bevel on the bar.Use a ball pien hammer and set the tooth into the bevel alternating them,you flip the saw over to set the outher side.The bevel only lets you set the tooth so much you will have to experiment to get it just right,set over about half the thickness of the saw plate or a tad more. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Paddlefish

Thanks Bandmiller2 ,this I can do ! Is there any angle to the teeth or are the filed flat and just the offset creates the cut ? Bud

Thank You Sponsors!