iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WM sharpener

Started by xlogger, April 12, 2017, 07:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I also like to look at the face after I sharpen the blade while it goes by.

See all the light on the left, that's from 2 work lights. [Halogen] handing from the ceiling.
With that you can see it all.
Looking at the face of the tooth you will see the point of the tooth.

A better pix of the face, left, of the pencil.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

4x4American

One thing that the filer at the grade mill showed me to check how good you have it is you get the blade so it's on a long straight run then you take a little mirror and line it up so it's looking down the tips of all the teeth and they should all make a straight line or something like that.  I think he said he does like 7-8 passes on a blade with the grinder.  I asked him why they don't use a cbn and he said ahhh that stuff is for blades that need crazy accuracy he says ohh just the regular turn of the century old technology plunge grinders do a fine job he was going on an old boy rant lol
Boy, back in my day..

xlogger

Thanks all for the help and advice. I know there is more to learn on the sharpener but I'm really happy with the results I've got. TTimbers, what you said does sound right, I'll remember that next time I think it needs adjusting.
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

xlogger

i went down to sharpen a few blades this morning and decide on cleaning out metal. I did lift the pump motor up and check on it, couldn't see anything there. After cleaning the pump ran but would not pump oil thru the line. I added some oil just in case but still no luck. Anyone had this problem before?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

Kbeitz

Quote from: xlogger on November 11, 2017, 09:26:53 AM
i went down to sharpen a few blades this morning and decide on cleaning out metal. I did lift the pump motor up and check on it, couldn't see anything there. After cleaning the pump ran but would not pump oil thru the line. I added some oil just in case but still no luck. Anyone had this problem before?

If it's a brush DC motor it could be running backward if wired wrong.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

terrifictimbersllc

The pump can lose its prime.  Either disconnect the hose from the pump and let it fill with oil, or figure a way to suck on the end of the hose to draw oil up through the pump.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

RIMwood

How many times can a blade (1 1/4") be sharpened?
I have always sent my blades to WM to be sharpened. With shipping almost $10/blade, I would have to send out 450 blades to equal the cost of the sharpener and setter combo (Im guessing $4500 by the time shipping, wheel, oil, and what ever else). A few mentioned getting sharper longer lasting blades with this setup. Im sure I would sharpen more often if I had my own sharpener, no more pushing through the last cuts trying to get a few more cuts on the blade before I had to send it out. Just curious, how many sharpening do you folks do in a year?

xlogger

I walk by it on the way in today and look at it again. Cut it on and it work fine :o

terrifictimbersllc

From the amount of metal I remove maybe 8-12 times. Most of mine break or hit metal and get trashed usually before they lose 0.1" in width.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I usually get 10-12 sharpenings per band, once in a while I'll get as many as 20!  Not necessarily a full-profile sharpening, just so the tooth is sharp and I don't get overly concerned with the gullet.  I saw mostly White Pine and Hemlock and average around 800 bf before I see a need to change the blade!

I bought my sharpener and setter in June of 2009 and by mid 2010 it had amortized out and I considered it paid off.  In reaching this point, I had sharpened 350 blades (mostly mine), that was guestimating a sharpening fee of $7.00 per band.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!