iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The neighbor wants something....

Started by Brad_bb, March 17, 2018, 12:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Noser

Quote from: Resonator on March 17, 2018, 01:14:08 PM
x3 what Crossroads said. I know those guys are a tree service and not hardwood loggers, but OUCH!! Did the guy in the video leave a 3 foot high stump to cut down a Walnut!? "An inch at the stump is worth a foot at the crown." (Old saying.)
In the North-Eastern softwoods I've heard people say there is as much wood in a 1 foot (0.33m) stump as there is in the last 8 foot stick (2.44m). A rough measure thrown around to remind people that high stumps are a waste of wood (although may be necessary in certain circumstances).

YellowHammer

Congratulations, you have your first Vulture!  They will circle and wait, and then when you have almost forgotten about them, they will glide in and start trying to get as much of your wood as possible, for free.  They will use your politentess and social training against you, and make you feel like you owe them something, even though you don't even know their name.

In the words of Nancy Reagan, "Just say No"
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Sixacresand

Lots of us people want something for nothing.  But you get what you pay for.  When I set the mill up at craft festivals, most people are interested in free slabs and sawdust.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Southside

Quote from: Don P on March 21, 2018, 09:11:09 PM
Quote from: Southside logger on March 21, 2018, 07:37:03 PM
Not a mistake any woman would have ever made.  Funny how they have a fake number ready to pass out.   :D
I'm sorry  :D

Ooh, sorry, it was too good a setup line :D
OUCH!!!  And here I thought the chainsaw board was a rough neighborhood!!   :D :D :D :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Southside

Quote from: Roxie on March 22, 2018, 05:24:00 AMYou are correct, though, most women have a memorized fake number, address, and even name.  We don't call it fake, just a redirect

Fortunately for me the last one goofed up and gave me her real number. ;D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Brad_bb

It's ok.  I'll deal with him.  

Here is a shot using two logrite arches  to get the 24.5 foot straight log from the yard to the road.  I actually had to go backwards to the road.  I put a strap on the front arch to try and keep it from turning to one side the other.  It didn't work completely, so I ended up doing a lot of back and forth to get the rear of the log pointed to where I wanted to go.  Then I could reverse out.

One of the most important things about using the arches is getting the log as high off the ground as possible especially on uneven ground.  I used ratchet straps to do that.  I wish I would have brought a come along as the longer handle would have been much easier than the short ones on the straps.  There were some planting beds to negotiate, and a dip by along the road that I traversed by hitting it diagonally and keeping my momentum up.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Roxie on March 22, 2018, 05:24:00 AM
  I have a friend that gives out the state police barracks phone.
I know a girl who has the US Marine Corp on speed dial.
She hates goats! 
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

slider

Blue Noser you are correct  about the high stumps but those power lines were what made him decide to cut higher. He did not want to deal with the root flair even with a rope in it . Especially the fiber optic lower line, they are very expensive if you make a mistake.
al glenn

Resonator

You're right, I stand corrected. I watched the video again, and yes, those wires were pretty close. The tree service did what was safest cutting by power lines. And it's good to see how much wood was saved. If it had been loggers in the woods working far from high voltage, then I don't think they'd leave that high of a stump. 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

JRHill

TG he's not *your* neighbor. But, seriously, neighbors are critical. After immediate family, who else is better able to help in an emergency esp. if you are remote?

TKehl

Probably best to leave it alone.  If you charge to low, you get cheated.  If you charge ask a fair price, they guy you got the logs from will hear about it (I gar-un-tee), and he will feel cheated.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Thank You Sponsors!