iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Moved The Skidder

Started by Autocar, June 23, 2017, 12:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

And we got two inches of rain this morning . Don't know about the rest of you guys but this has been the toughest year I can remember in a long time.
Bill

East ky logging

Been wet all spring here too. Giving another three inches tonight.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Bert

same. pretty sure i could stick a pipe in the ground anywhere and water would come out.
Saw you tomorrow!

thechknhwk

I just planted my front lawn, about an acre or so, and we got about 2" of rain.  I was  8) 8) 8)  I imagine not so good for your logging operation however.

coxy

Quote from: Bert on June 23, 2017, 01:11:24 PM
same. pretty sure i could stick a pipe in the ground anywhere and water would come out.
same here

Autocar

Made the first post the 23 of June and here it is the 4 th of July and it is still to wet to work this job. Every few days it seems we get a inch or two of rain.
Bill

Bert

Did you move your skidder again or what? :D Went from rain every day to 90 degrees and full sun. Spent the day handcutting and running an open cab Jack. Hate the heat but need the wood.
Saw you tomorrow!

Autocar

Today is the first day I was able to get in the woods , by 7:30 I felt like I had stood in a down pour man it was hot ! I cut and skidded till noon and threw the towel in for the day. There has been storms all around us today and there calling for storms tonight. I probably screwed myself by working today because the ground wasn't fit. Now if we get any rain the skid trail will hold water in all the low spots and it will never dry up. It has been so wet the ground smells sour and I didn't even tell you about the mosquitoes blotting out the sun  ;D.
Bill

WH_Conley

I had as it turned out 8 hours dozer work for a neighbor. I started the machine working at 6:00AM and worked til 10. Time to go to the house. I guess I am to have to slow down. Can't get back up to speed.
Bill

Riwaka

Autocar? - Can you find/ use mats in the low points or put brush in them?

Autocar

I had a chance here a while back to buy mats at a good price but passed on them. I will be 70 in a few months and I look at investments different then I use to. But if I had mats I would need a hundred yards worth . Normal summers around here you could work pretty steady but we seem to get two inches to five in one storm. Where I cross the St. Marys River it has been out of it's banks sence early spring, crazy summer for sure.
Bill

Autocar

Another four inches on my job and two inches here at home, crazy summer for sure.
Bill

Bert

It got me again too. The hot/dry spell didnt last. Had about 3 hrs of bucking logs left on Sat when I broke a hose on the loader. Ran to town to get a hose and the sky opened up. Finished the logs but the log yard looks like a swamp.
Saw you tomorrow!

celliott

We aren't logging but installing a maple tubing system on a large property. We have been plagued with rain as well, seems like we get one or two dry days a week. All our roads and atv trails have to be up to AMP specs, but fortunately the forester has been letting us work. Atv's are lower impact but we have had to do a lot of extra trail work. Brush in wet spots that normally wouldn't need them, extra water bars, bridges, staying out of some spots, just extra work. Plus no one works quite as well in the rain and stuff seems to break more often... Seems most days we ride home with wet boots and pants. Thankful for the boot dryer this summer!

But like I said, at least we have been able to battle through it. Really feeling for you guys trying to cut and skid wood!
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

OH logger

I feel like a nascar driver: go like mad for 1 day a week then wait  ;D. but I have NEVER signed an autograph or signed the back of a check as big as they have!!  :D
john

Thank You Sponsors!