iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1st circular mill

Started by krusty, November 15, 2005, 12:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krusty

::)

Morning gang,

To set the stage I work in an office but love woodworking, in all its forms. I have considered buying a bandsaw mill just for hobby use but prefer the finish left of a circular saw for my timberframe projects. I plan to get out of high tech in the next five years and work full time with wood of sorts.

There is a local circular mill forsale the guy believes to be a Forano but will verify. What should I look for in a used circular mill? Likely to be a 1 or 2 person operation for fun and friends. Certainly not production. He said it needs work on the timber sections of it.

Where can I learn to operate a circular mill? Any decent guides out there online? I have a contact sawyer I am sure I can work with for a few days to get experience as needed.

Thoughts?

beenthere

Welcome
First suggestion, head to the Forum Extras (top right button) and then to the Knowledge Base, and then click on Circle Saws, and Circular Saws booklet, for the path to a pdf version of Stan Lunstrum's saw book. A good primer on circular saws that you will want to read. A hard copy can be obtained as well by writing or emailing the USDA FS Forest Products Lab.
http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Thats pretty much the bible when it comes to us Circle saw guys. We however, are disciples and ove to teach. ;D

Diect link to the PDF.  You can print it, punch it, and put it in a 3 ring notebook.

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/misc/circsaw.pdf
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

krusty

Thanks! I will study it religously!

:o

Ernie

Quote from: krusty on November 15, 2005, 03:04:16 PM
Thanks! I will study it religously!

:o

Welcome Krusty.  It is not actually necessary to genuflect while studying.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Ron Wenrich

When you say the timber sections, I assume you mean the track sections.  That can be fixed in a couple of ways.  One way is to put down new wood.  The other way is to put the tracks on steel.  An old trailer frame may work pretty well. 

As for the carriage, check the headblocks with a square to see how they look.  Sometimes they get washed out due to all the turning that's been done on the mill.  I've seen that fixed with weld.  That's probably the cheapest.

Also, look at the setworks.  Worn setworks will cause miscuts. 

You could probably go to any circle mill in your area and talk with the sawyer.  You better have lots of time 'cause most sawyers love to talk and don't get the opportunity to do it very often.   ;D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

UNCLEBUCK

Hi krusty , I would make sure when you get a circular mill that everything goes with it like the powerplant especially . All the little odds and ends that maybe the seller wants to keep this and that for whatever reason . The little odds and ends will come in handy somewhere when you go to set it back up. Get everything in one clump so you dont have to waste your time making a part or searching for a part. Good Luck !
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

mitch

Hi Krusty:

Just go for it with a great deal of caution. Follow UncleBuck's advice and try to get a mill with all the parts hopefully somewhat assembled. I purchased an old, pre WW II, Vance circular mill about 30 years ago. It was in sad shape and parts were scattered all over the barn yard. An old gentleman was in the process of replacing the wooden husk frame with metal and he had a stroke which ended the conversion... sold the mill to me for $450. Talk to a local sawyer and get some general ideas and maybe some help in setting up the mill. Be particularly careful in selecting your offbearer.... a careless mistake and the saw "catching" a slab can lead to an injured sawyer!

If you can find an old manual by Frick or Meadows they will be more helpful than Lunstrum's book to get started.

I have some info on old circular mills at

http://shagbarkfarms.com/

Good luck and post some images.

Frickman

That's what we need around here, another circle mill! Lundstrum's book is very good. There is another too, by Casey Creamer. It is available through the Northeastern Loggers Association. I have both and still refer to them on occasion. Used circle mills are quite affordable these days, as most part-time sawyers are going to the narrow band mills. If you have any more questions, this is the place!
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

TexasTimbers

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on November 15, 2005, 04:57:16 PM
When you say the timber sections, I assume you mean the track sections.

You're probably right Ron, but he might also just be referring to the wood members that make up the frame of the carriage, the mandrell/trunnion or whatever that mess of gears, pulleys, etc. is called. Maybe it's called a transfer box or something.
Anyway krusty, my manual circle saw is a hybrid. Steel rails but wood frame for the carriage and the thing containing all the "stuff".
I'm of the slant that it's really no extra work to convert it to all steel, and in the long run less work. If you do go back with wood I'd use something decay resistant and hard. Bois D' Arc & black locust come to mind. I suppose white oak  too, but ask the brain trust to make sure. Good luck and welcome to the club!

The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

ely

you guys are worse than drugs. i have barely got my bandmill and all the sharpening equip down and now i am looking into getting a circle saw. it is a sickness i tell ya.

Frank_Pender

Welcome, Krusty.  You are welcome to come on South to Dallas, Oregon and help me this Winter.  I have a new house to cut for some folks and still completting a log home for others as well as doing some 1 x 4 flooring right now for a new house.   I will not charge you at all for the schooling and such.  From time to time there may be a can of peas for payment. :D
Frank Pender

krusty

Frank,

Free peas, could you throw in a cana beans as well we may have a deal. I guess I will have to load up my broadaxe & boring machine to build some shelter as well. maybe the brewing supplies as well for a steady supply of beer.

Though I would have to say if I was to move south it would be southwest to the pacific NW!

Thank You Sponsors!