firewood business

Started by crankin, January 04, 2010, 07:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrnero

Quote from: motohed on January 06, 2010, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: mrnero on January 06, 2010, 06:11:22 PM
Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 05, 2010, 08:43:49 PM
mrnero, you probably understand this, but here goes:

supply and demand, if the supply is low, and the demand high, then the cost will rise (think two bidders at an auction)

If the demand is not there for a good or service, then the price lowers (think an auctioneer lowering a price to get a bid).

cost of living can also vary greatly from one area to another, I'd guess that a cord of firewood where you live costs much more than one does in a retirement town in Florida (due to cost of living and demand).

your mileage may vary  :)
Here I go again, I just can't help myself. :D :D :D Let me see if I understand you correctly :P    If there is a local power outage and there becomes a demand for generators.  you are saying, that home depot should raise their prices on their generators because there is a shortage of generators in their store. And Lowes should do the same when snow shovels, rock salt and etc becomes in high demand during snow storms. Therefore, I guess you also means that the big food chain stores should also the same when the shelves become understocked too. I appears that some of you have different meanings of supply and demand confused with price goughing and the meaning of suggested retail price vs autionering. Maybe we should have national regulations and laws passed so everyone will know and "understand" what price gouging is. Oh well, here I go again back to disneyland !! Bye

Firewood is a fuel source like oil . The price of oil fluctuates acording to available source and shipping , guess what so does firewood . I guess you need to learn something about stock market trading and fuel commodities , along with world trade . Some of your views , are off base . I agree with Jeff and some others . There is a huge difference in retail sales and fuel prices . firewood is a fuel commodity like home heating fuel ,gasoline ,diesel ,etc . Do you buy your gas at the highest price or the cheapest price . What about the quality of the gas or firewood , or correct quantity ,  a true cord versus face cord . Firewood has a direct coralation to oil prices and availability . My price for a seasoned cord of firewood is 220.00 , for a green cord is 185.00 . Delivery with in a 10 mile radius is free , outside of that it's 1.50 a mile both ways . I have built up many customers , they will leave the money some where , when they order from me . Why , because they know they will get what they pay for every time . There is no dirt and the wood is clean and seasoned . I am sure many others do the same as I do , I garranty , if people get shorted or dirty wood they will become a customer of mine or someone else like me . Price is in some what imetrical , in the firewood business , also it's a buyer beware product .There are some individuals in the firewood business , that don't serve the people as well as others  .  Same thing with gasoline and home heating fuel being substandard . We are lucky now that the oil industry is widely regulated to protect us . Firewood leaves something to be desired ,when it comes to being regulated ,other than the new regulation that will be imposed due to insect infestation quarentines .
Good speech on supply and demand. In that case, Since the rush season and "demand" for firewood is about over, then you should be lowing your firewood prices. Remember, supply and demand works both ways. $185 per cord !! :o  Last time I sold firewood for that price, I was in middleschool. Sound from reading your post, You feel that you are the best. Thats good positive thinking.

PS. I use hyway diesel, Does that count as high priced ??

mrnero

Quote from: motohed on January 06, 2010, 07:12:23 PM
Quote from: mrnero on January 06, 2010, 06:54:07 PM
Quote from: bull on January 06, 2010, 06:32:49 PM
Mrnero there had to be something wrong with Braintree because they made *( New Braintree )* way back in the 1800's and it's still a nice quite town !! In Worcester County,Central Mass
I wouldn't know what happened back in the 1800's, This is only my occupation resident for 3 to 4 days a week.

That explains every thing ! 8)
No, I think its your "senior" set ways that explains everything.

chevytaHOE5674

If oil/propane/natural gas is very expensive then the demand for firewood increases (because more people want to burn it as it is cheaper than fossil fuels), but at the same time it is also less efficient. So if oil/propane/natural gas is cheap many skip the wood as its less hassle, and more efficient to burn oil.   

At the same time cost of production varies with fossil fuels as well. Diesel goes up (along with heating oil/propane.natural gas), then cost to produce the firewood is more expensive, therefor final price goes up. 

woodmills1

moto come on up

Bull  I love it

Mnero do you have a clue what this site provides to us, we contribute to it and only use it when we need info

it seems like you need a friend

so.................... :P Mnero I will be your friend   I am somewhat intelligent and very much sympathetic to public servants, especially those who have more dangerous jobs than I did.

So  Ifin ya wants I am offering to bees ya friend,  cause ya needs one here.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

red oaks lumber

mrnero,
i'm sitting here laughing my mule off!! and by the way, i won't jump all over you this time.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

gunman63

I really dont think "rush season"  is over, but there is less seasoned wood now, someguys are out so less supply makes price go up, and oil hit $80 a barrel today, so firewood price goes up, YAHOO.........

bull

The avaiabilty of seasoned wood is scarce after the rush season and the price will definetly not go down.... someone needing seasoned wood after January 1 will pay $300.00 a cord or more or they won't be getting any wood !!!   Thats supply and demand and de-man is going to get his money!!!!

been selling firewood since I was 12 YOA !!!  Won't sell any on the CHEAP !!!!

motohed

Quote from: bull on January 06, 2010, 11:29:48 PM
The avaiabilty of seasoned wood is scarce after the rush season and the price will definetly not go down.... someone needing seasoned wood after January 1 will pay $300.00 a cord or more or they won't be getting any wood !!!   Thats supply and demand and de-man is going to get his money!!!!

been selling firewood since I was 12 YOA !!!  Won't sell any on the CHEAP !!!!

X2 My prices are set , I don't really raise or lower them . I also have plenty of seasoned wood .  8)

motohed

Quote from: mrnero on January 06, 2010, 08:19:30 PM
Quote from: motohed on January 06, 2010, 07:12:23 PM
Quote from: mrnero on January 06, 2010, 06:54:07 PM
Quote from: bull on January 06, 2010, 06:32:49 PM
Mrnero there had to be something wrong with Braintree because they made *( New Braintree )* way back in the 1800's and it's still a nice quite town !! In Worcester County,Central Mass
I wouldn't know what happened back in the 1800's, This is only my occupation resident for 3 to 4 days a week.

That explains every thing ! 8)
No, I think its your "senior" set ways that explains everything.

That was really funny , you think I am a senior only in body maybe ! My wife is strill trying to get me to grow up and stop playing with toys . Your alright after all , mrnero .  8)

motohed

Quote from: mrnero on January 06, 2010, 08:12:54 PM
Quote from: motohed on January 06, 2010, 07:10:36 PM
Quote from: mrnero on January 06, 2010, 06:11:22 PM
Quote from: Dan_Shade on January 05, 2010, 08:43:49 PM
mrnero, you probably understand this, but here goes:

supply and demand, if the supply is low, and the demand high, then the cost will rise (think two bidders at an auction)

If the demand is not there for a good or service, then the price lowers (think an auctioneer lowering a price to get a bid).

cost of living can also vary greatly from one area to another, I'd guess that a cord of firewood where you live costs much more than one does in a retirement town in Florida (due to cost of living and demand).

your mileage may vary  :)
Here I go again, I just can't help myself. :D :D :D Let me see if I understand you correctly :P    If there is a local power outage and there becomes a demand for generators.  you are saying, that home depot should raise their prices on their generators because there is a shortage of generators in their store. And Lowes should do the same when snow shovels, rock salt and etc becomes in high demand during snow storms. Therefore, I guess you also means that the big food chain stores should also the same when the shelves become understocked too. I appears that some of you have different meanings of supply and demand confused with price goughing and the meaning of suggested retail price vs autionering. Maybe we should have national regulations and laws passed so everyone will know and "understand" what price gouging is. Oh well, here I go again back to disneyland !! Bye

Firewood is a fuel source like oil . The price of oil fluctuates acording to available source and shipping , guess what so does firewood . I guess you need to learn something about stock market trading and fuel commodities , along with world trade . Some of your views , are off base . I agree with Jeff and some others . There is a huge difference in retail sales and fuel prices . firewood is a fuel commodity like home heating fuel ,gasoline ,diesel ,etc . Do you buy your gas at the highest price or the cheapest price . What about the quality of the gas or firewood , or correct quantity ,  a true cord versus face cord . Firewood has a direct coralation to oil prices and availability . My price for a seasoned cord of firewood is 220.00 , for a green cord is 185.00 . Delivery with in a 10 mile radius is free , outside of that it's 1.50 a mile both ways . I have built up many customers , they will leave the money some where , when they order from me . Why , because they know they will get what they pay for every time . There is no dirt and the wood is clean and seasoned . I am sure many others do the same as I do , I garranty , if people get shorted or dirty wood they will become a customer of mine or someone else like me . Price is in some what imetrical , in the firewood business , also it's a buyer beware product .There are some individuals in the firewood business , that don't serve the people as well as others  .  Same thing with gasoline and home heating fuel being substandard . We are lucky now that the oil industry is widely regulated to protect us . Firewood leaves something to be desired ,when it comes to being regulated ,other than the new regulation that will be imposed due to insect infestation quarentines .
Good speech on supply and demand. In that case, Since the rush season and "demand" for firewood is about over, then you should be lowing your firewood prices. Remember, supply and demand works both ways. $185 per cord !! :o  Last time I sold firewood for that price, I was in middleschool. Sound from reading your post, You feel that you are the best. Thats good positive thinking.

PS. I use hyway diesel, Does that count as high priced ??

I with you on the diesel , in RI onroad and off road are the same price , just different tax . The gas prices tend to run a little higher than MA . As for being the best ,not really just doing it the best I know how . I have got almost fourty years in the firewood business . I also have own a campground for twenty years at the same time , along with an excavation business . It's not about being the best , it's about being driven to suceed , and being proud of your acomplishments .

Best Regards Scott

MDLogging

One company that got started here in Jacksonville started a dump facility for arborists and tree companies in the surrounding towns.  They were getting $30 a ton when the County dump was charging $35.  Then they would split and sell the wood all over the State to homeowners and bar-b-cue houses alike.

They finally had to move because the County, unable to find them doing anything wrong, condemned their incinerator.  They were using it to burn the trash and tops and selling the ash.  Now they are a County south and still doing fine, as far as I've heard.
[/quote] 
Ive never heard of burning the brush and selling the ash, but it sounds like a good idea.  What do people use the ash for, gardening?  Is he able to load and unload the incinerator with a loader or is it alot of shovel work?  Sounds alot better and cheaper than grinding.

Black_Bear

Quote from: John Mc on January 06, 2010, 07:30:47 PM
It's a myth that softwood builds up creosote too fast. You just have to start with properly seasoned wood, and burn it correctly. Some softwoods will still catch and burn OK even if they are not completely seasoned. This leads some people to try to burn it while still somewhat green. This means a colder fire, which means more creosote. The other big creosote contributor is choking the fire for air - which again makes for a colder fire (usually done in an attempt to get the fire to burn longer -- since softwoods burn quicker than a similar volume of hardwoods, some people have a tendency to choke the air supply down even further).

Burn dry wood, and burn it hot, and you won't have a significant problem with creosote build-up burning softwoods. You will end up loading your stove a lot more frequently... most species of wood have the same number of BTUs per pound. The difference is that softwoods are a lot less dense than hardwoods, so it takes a lot more volume to get the same number of BTUs.

Good point John, you explained it better than I did. I probably should have wrote that consistently using unseasoned softwood can lead to creosote build up. Your problem B (choking fire for air so it doesn't burn so fast) is essentially what I was getting at. Add in some snow and ice and you have a perfect slow cooker/smoker.   

mrnero

Motohed, If you dont claim to be the best, you are d*m close to it. Though, I started young on the right track, but have a still have a long way to go. Time will only tell. Wishing you many more years of sucess. Good luck.

mrnero

Quote from: woodmills1 on January 06, 2010, 08:32:56 PM
moto come on up

Mnero do you have a clue what

it seems like you need a friend

so.................... :P Mnero I will be your friend

Sorry,  but no thanks

SwampDonkey

Quote from: MDLogging on January 07, 2010, 06:04:01 PM
What do people use the ash for, gardening?

There is a mill or heating plant selling ash for farm fields in southern NB. I can't recall which it is. It's not posted on CBC news, which reported it a year ago. So can't get the details. Up here is a potato belt in NW New Brunswick, similar to northern Maine and you can't use wood ash on potato crops. Causes scab which is only an appearance thing and doesn't really harm the potato. But people want everything perfect in the grocery store. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MDLogging

Thanks for the info.  I checked into it a little more and saw a few pics of the burners.  Looks like it works pretty good.  Says the large burner will go through up to 10 tons an hour.  I think the major cost is the actual price of the incinerator and what little diesal it uses.  I wonder how much the ash is selling for?

SwampDonkey

As far as I recall the heat source for this operation was wood itself, the ash was the waste product. Then they began selling it.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

MDLogging

The heat source was the wood, but it has a diesal engine with a blower that circulated air to the fire.  This would burn the fire hotter and cleaner.  It looks like it puts off very little smoke if any.

MDLogging

SwampDonkey

We got our wires crossed.  :D I was talking about the operation back here. ;) It was ash from boilers used here. If it was the heating plant boiler in the capitol, it heats two Universities and a regional hospital. Has been for 25 years at least now. Hog fuel is trucked from one of Jim Irving's sawmills in Chipman. It was either that or ashes direct from one of Irvings operations to the farmers.

motohed

Quote from: mrnero on January 07, 2010, 11:10:57 PM
Motohed, If you dont claim to be the best, you are d*m close to it. Though, I started young on the right track, but have a still have a long way to go. Time will only tell. Wishing you many more years of sucess. Good luck.

Hi mrnero

I am sure you will do fine ,  the most important thing you can do is being honest and doing what you say you will . Reputation is the key .

Thank You Sponsors!