iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

32' 8/12 king post load bearing calculation

Started by dad2nine, January 08, 2016, 11:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dad2nine

It's been a LONG time since i've posted here and to be honest I was a little embarrassed that I forgot my user name. But I was able to remember by doing a search with keywords of a post I remembered posting. I'm looking forward to participating FF again.

I'm looking for comments on a split tie king post truss design for a 8x8 D style log house my son and I are going to build.

My design inputs are:
(loblolly or eastern white) 8x12 pine timbers
32' free span
8/12 pitch
8' on center spacing
8x8" bearing (D style log wall)
3' 8" overhang
120 MPH wind shear (highest wind gust in past 50 years)
90" snow load (ground) - the house will built in southern IL - this is the maximum amount of snow for one year in the last 50 years.

I would like to put the truss together with pinned mortise and tendon joinery and avoid gussets if at all possible

Am I on the right track?

Thanks

Jim_Rogers

This is a subject that should be addressed by a qualified timber framing engineer.
I can help you find one if you need me to.

90 lbs snow load seems to be a lot for IL. You should contact the local building department and use the value they say to use. The engineer will ask you for this from them.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

dad2nine

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on January 09, 2016, 09:47:43 AM
This is a subject that should be addressed by a qualified timber framing engineer.
I can help you find one if you need me to.

90 lbs snow load seems to be a lot for IL. You should contact the local building department and use the value they say to use. The engineer will ask you for this from them.

Jim Rogers

Hi Jim I locked my self out of my dad2nine account and registered as crealsprings (this ID) I sent you a email asking for your help.

But as far as snow load of 90 lbs - yea that a a bit much for southern IL :o - 90 inches is the highest recorded total snow fall in a year here in southern IL. I have no idea what that equates to in snow load, I'll have to check with the county. 

Thanks for the reply.

beenthere

CrealSprings
You best talk to the Boss (Jeff) about your maneuver... just sayin....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dad2nine

Quote from: beenthere on January 09, 2016, 02:03:18 PM
CrealSprings
You best talk to the Boss (Jeff) about your maneuver... just sayin....

I tried that first but this iD CrealSprings would not let me access Jeff's information to send him a email or even a message.

I must have fat fingered my email address in my profile (dad2nine) when I went to update to my current email :(

Thank You Sponsors!