iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

car suppler job

Started by thecfarm, December 11, 2008, 11:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Not looking good,at all.We make interior trunk parts for GM,Toyota,Nissan to dress up the trunk.Been on 3 day work week for a month now.I work 4 days on than 4 days off,12 hours.Next week I work 3 days,maybe,get done on the 18th and don't go back until the 12th of Jan,with a big maybe.If we do go back only a few will be called at that time.I'm #5 so should be called back.There are only about 20 on each crew.They said we will "call" you.That sounds real promising.Will know more when I go back next week.Than on top of that they are having money problems.Some people don't use their vacation and will get paid off.They won't get this money until the second quarter,should get it in their first pay check of next year.Than to really make me wonder,Jan 1st is now a floating holiday.So this way they won't have to pay 300 people holiday pay.I read about companies like this.Go to work and the place is closed.  :o Never seen it this bad in the 22 years that I have been there.Been other times with the GM strike and all,but we have never shut down for more than a few days.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roxie

I am so sorry that you are left hanging like this.  What are job prospects in your area?

Say when

SeeSaw

I feel for you.  I still do not understand how a federal government that can waste trillions of dollars, then give 700 billion to the financial sector with no questions aked. But the U.S. Auto Industry asks for a "loan", "not a bailout" and all they get is a ration of dung spewing from the mouths of the most wasteful entity on the planet. If they go down,  the pain will be felt in every state.  Richard Shelby needs his head examined IMO.

SeeSaw
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

thecfarm

Not good,for anything that pays half way decent with benefits.Another place that sells counter tops and other plastics products just laid off 100 people.You sure don't want to hear about the paper mills.  :(  Everything is down.Need to get into the grocery or the firewood business.People have to eat and keep warm.  ;D  But we will mange. Just be like the rest of the people,only buy grocery and fire wood.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed

It's not good here either. I do mechanical design work for GM (not a GM emlpoyee). I'm down to 32 hours now, no GM work at all. I've got some other stuff to keep me busy, but it's scary.

I've never seen it this bad in 25 years.

Ed

SeeSaw

Ed,

I agree with you but it's never been this bad in our lifetime let alone 25 years.  I think we're going to come close to the great depression before it's all over.  But, don't worry the banks got lotsa money that they won't loan.  No questions asked or strings attached either!!!!!!.  They can now give all of their CEO's millions of dollars raises for getting us into this mess to begin with.  Oh, yeah, lets not forget about them oil companies.  They helped put us here too.

SeeSaw
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, completely worn out and loudly proclaiming, WHAT A RIDE...!

Tim L

I know what you guys mean . I'm looking for work myself . Unless you have seasoned wood this time of year not much is moving .
Do the best you can and don't look back

farmerdoug

Here on the east side of Michigan, all news about jobs seem to be bad news. ::)

Even the jobs not tied to the auto industry are reeling.  I am not sure what people are going to do when the unemployment runs out.  Collecting scrap does not even pay anymore.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Ron Wenrich

My wife says the phone isn't ringing at the life insurance end of things.  There are big budget cuts and they are going to cut out the dead wood.  Unfortunately, a few of the good ones are going to have to be let go also.  Her position is good for right now.

Mill side is seeing a marked slowdown this month.  Willing buyers looking to buy from our wholesalers, but can't get a loan.  So, it backs up.  We're almost out of logs, thanks to the weather.

I have seen it this bad back in the early '80s when interest rates went sky high.  What happened in that case was that people weren't paying their bills, but putting money in the money markets.  The difference between the late penalty and the invested interest was substantial, especially for a large company.  That filtered all the way through many segments of the industry.  Nobody was selling anything because the money was tied up elsewhere.  Very similar to today's problems, but different causes.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

rebocardo

> then give 700 billion to the financial sector with no questions aked

Dominos. If they failed it would bring the whole economy down, look what happened just with a big hiccup.

logwalker

Quote from: rebocardo on December 12, 2008, 11:26:38 AM
> then give 700 billion to the financial sector with no questions aked

Dominos. If they failed it would bring the whole economy down, look what happened just with a big hiccup.

Don't believe what Paulson and Bernake told you when they first went begging in D.C.. The banks have done nothing with that money except hoard it and use it to buy up smaller competitors. We are, as a nation, living beyond our means and need to quit spending like there is no tomorrow. We have to let the auto and housing markets fall back to levels where a young person can actually afford to buy.

I was in a Ford dealership yesterday and looked at the new F-150. They were asking $42,000 for it. I can buy a house in any number of places for less than that. It will be painfull but the car companies need to reorganize and they won't do it with a bailout. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

thecfarm

I got a call from HR on the 9th,just to let me know they had to re-do the crews.Down to 15 people now per crew,4 crews.More people got laid off.I'm all set.Go back to work on the 12th,everything looks good.Back to work on the 17th and boy what a change.A lot of orders was cancelled through the work.Now we are down to 10 people and only 2 crews.No night shift.Only 20 people out of I guess of 120.I'm still working,so far.No one is buying cars like they was.The great president Day sale is coming right up for cars too.I doubt that will be a big deal this year.We went from kinda slow to almost nothing.

SeeSaw

Nothing is selling because the banks still are not lending money.  I know a couple that went to buy a new Saturn recently.  Both of them work make decent money and have good credit.  The bank told them they would have to put 20% down or they could not get a loan. That equates to about $8000.00. Well they told them to stick it because they did not want to blow all of their savings.  Unsure of the economy and the future and they might need the money if they fall on hard times.  Heard similar stories many other times too.

beenthere

Sounds reasonable on a vehicle that will be worth less than 80% of it's value as soon as it comes off the lot.
Mistakes were made when the loans were given with under 20% down. And the banks either got stuck with the loss or they sold the loan to someone who was good at laundering the money on the market....and the result being the big money bailouts.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

farmerdoug

Next week I am going to at least one plastic plant auction.  They went bankrupt before the stock crash.  Everybody lost their jobs at that company. ::)
Doug
Fargo, MI

beav39

hope things keep going for ya cfarm things are tough here in maine for lots of folks been lucky to have enough sawing to keep food on the table
sawdust in the blood

wi woodcutter

cfarm sure hope things look up for you! Keep your head up, things will be better some day!
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

cheyenne

Ron... the differance between now & the eighties is cd's were paying 20% & 21% In big blocks. Now your lucky to get 3% to 5%....Cheyenne
Home of the white buffalo

thecfarm

I'm not the only one that this is happening too.At least I am working.There are some with no jobs,all across the US and I really don't think there is much out there that really pays anything in my area.That's what concerns me.With no good paying jobs,no money to spend.I'm still working 36 hour a week,down from an average of 44 hours.That's OK for a few weeks,but not for a few months.I will get by,we all do at times like this.But there again my spending is way down.Can't spend what you don't have.Some cars plants are not coming up until mid Feb, or at least that's what they say.That's the projected time.Read back a few posts of mine and see how the projected time worked than.

trapper

I work for the largest outboard motor company in the us and after one third of the people are laid off the rest of us are on ly working two weeks each month.  glad I am close to retirement.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

thecfarm

I worked one week and left for work thinking all set for now.   :)  Got a phone call from HR saying not to come back this week.  :( Guess I will just stay at work.Every time I leave it's bad news.  :D I was told to come back Feb 2nd. And he said that's what we are hoping for.It's just wait and see at this time.
I heard DSL in OH closed down. Seemed like 8000 lost their job. Just like I said before,I'm not the only one in this mess.

Polly

several vears ago when ros pero ran for president  we were all warned by him what was about to happen     his quote was i believe  if the goverment signs the  nafta agreement   their will be a giant sucking sound as the jobs leave this country  sorry to say   no one listened    you all realize the person that was in the white house at this time     now as a result the co that made seat covers for toyota  gone two other factories that made auto parts  gone  and this is just from a small town in ky  this is not only ky but other states i have driven through and seen the empty factory buildings  as well    now think back and as yourself      who did you vote for  ::) ::) :( :( 8)

SwampDonkey

I guess I'm better off than most you guys. When you grow up in a depressed economy for a whole generation the only direction it can possibly take is up. :D :D When ever there is money to spend on infrastructure and other stimulus it's the southern cities. Other regions are "the have nots", while the south prospers on taxation life support.  I've have not seen any mention of anything for this region of New Brunswick and even worst off is the north shore. They are great at report writing and dismal on delivery. :D In my area, it's farming, forestry, and trucking and service on those sectors. It never has been boom times at the best of times that I can remember, "we just get by". :-X
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WH_Conley

Polly. I remember that wife used to work at a plant that went south, reason I voted for Ross, he made sense. I think NAFTA has to be shared blame. It was passed under old George, with his blessing, by a large margin and signed by Clinton.
Bill

beenthere

And in the end, all the votes for pero just got the wrong guy elected. The beginning of what we have to face now.

Not that Pero didn't have some great ideas and knowledge, just that he wasn't in the right place to do anything but harm.

Have to win the media over first, in any election coming up. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

olyman

Quote from: Polly on January 27, 2009, 11:01:50 AM
    several vears ago when ros pero ran for president  we were all warned by him what was about to happen     his quote was i believe  if the goverment signs the  nafta agreement   their will be a giant sucking sound as the jobs leave this country  sorry to say   no one listened    you all realize the person that was in the white house at this time     now as a result the co that made seat covers for toyota  gone two other factories that made auto parts  gone  and this is just from a small town in ky  this is not only ky but other states i have driven through and seen the empty factory buildings  as well    now think back and as yourself      who did you vote for  ::) ::) :( :( 8)
exceedingly true!!!!!

olyman

Have to win the media over first, in any election coming up. IMO
[/quote]  Have to B U Y the media first--in winning any election!!!

cheyenne

Many years ago there was a city in upstate NY that had as their mainstay one of the largest corps in the world & still is. Well back in the early 60's the union started giving them fits. They told the union knock it off or we'll move out. Union said their bluffing, They moved most of their operation south. Then in the 80's the city got a women mayor and she told the corp that they had to pay the same property taxes on all the empty buildings as if they were in full production, So the corp knocked all the buildings down which lowered their taxs even more. Because it was bare unimproved land. Now the city is a drug infested slum. At one time this factory employed 50,000 skilled people, now it employs less than 2,000......Moral of story.....Be careful what you ask for...you just might get it.....Cheyenne

Polly

way i rember it and correct me if i am wrong the house and senate republican controlled passed nafta deal and clinton dem signed off on it backed by the news media and i guess they go along with what makes the most news ,problem is we all set back and let them do it me included :( :( :( 8)

WH_Conley

Pretty much the way I remember it to.
Bill

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Polly on January 27, 2009, 08:56:12 PM
  way i rember it and correct me if i am wrong the house and senate republican controlled passed nafta deal and clinton dem signed off on it backed by the news media and i guess they go along with what makes the most news ,problem is we all set back and let them do it me included :( :( :( 8)

Well, time to check the old memory function...

NAFTA was passed in November of 1993 (17th of Nov in the House of Representatives and 20th of Nov in the Senate). At that time the Democratic Party held a majority in both the House and the Senate. The vote was not strickly along party lines and many members of both parties voted for passage of the treaty. The "Republican Revolution" of 1994, lead by Congressman Newt Gingrich lead to the the Republicans winning majorities in both the House and the Senate in the General Election of 1994 and taking majority control in January of 1995...

However, you're correct that MANY Republicans voted for NAFTA and Democratic President Clinton did sign the approved bill/treaty.

So, consider yourself somewhat corrected  ;D The Republicans did not control the House or Senate at the time of NAFTA's passage but Bill Clinton did sign it into law...

Ron Wenrich

I read an editorial by an economist that says our portion of GDP that is manufacturing based hasn't slipped.  What's happened are that those low production jobs were either shipped out or automated.  That supported higher paying manufacturing jobs at the cost of those lower paying jobs being shipped out.  It is similar to what has happened in the ag community.  Higher production with fewer workers.

Businesses with low paying jobs have been forced into a couple of choices.  Automate, which is a pretty heavy investment.  Hire illegals.  Or move the jobs to where the illegals are coming from. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

cheyenne

I have yet to see a cheap piece of imported junk any cheaper than a quality product made here. But we must compare apples to apples.....Cheyenne

thecfarm

Not that it really matters,I did not say my job has gone over seas or anywheres.
Not many new cars are being made.When people start buying cars,GM,Nissan,and Toyota will start to build cars,I will be busy again.
But it was mentioned about down sizing.We have been doing this for a couple years now.Someones leaves,that job gets spread out among 3-4 other workers.This is a fine time for them now.With the lay off they can call back just the number of people they need.I was doing a couple other jobs when I went back,that I had never done before.Probably will still be doing them when we get going strong.But if that what it takes to keep the company going.I'd rather keep 100 jobs in Maine than see the jobs go out of state or the company closes down.

SwampDonkey

What I have read is once a company starts surviving on handouts, the execs keep right on keeping on because the handout is now supporting the old lifestyle and way of life these people have come to expect in the boom times. So I can see why government's are hesitant in pouring money into the sink hole that certain businesses in certain sectors have become. When there are no strings, timetables, concessions from the company that's the way anyone would carry on. The companies with the biggest political clout win, everyone else is on their own.

There is a lot of talk about retraining in the forest sector. Training for what? Where do I go to sign up for this job we are suppose to be training for? And that won't help anyone off unemployment or the 100's that were self employed. These programs are aimed at unions and those on EI benefits. Everyone else don't fit the "model". Pie in the sky. Political babble.

There is a welding shop in town that makes agriculture equipment (skid steers and potato harvesting) that has been bouncing cheques and some guys haven't taken home a pay cheque in 4 weeks.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rbhunter

I work for a company making copper brass radiators. They are shutting down third shift temporarily and I will have to go to second shift far a while. They are in the process of closing down the other plant making copper brass radiators and we should start seeing part of that business in another month as business is transfered.

They called a meeting last night and most of the people are off tomorrow  as they go to a four day work week. Others will be off next Monday. I will work both as the department I am in now is working and my old department I used to work is working next Monday. I am not looking forward to second shift but at least I have a job.

Several people in my old department told me they are looking forward to me comming back to the department along with second  shift setup person. Part of the transfer business will be comming to the department although I have not worked on that line we have similar to it.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

farmerdoug

I went to the Blue Water Automotive plastic plant auction today.  All I can say is the way they were bidding the economy is going gangbusters. ::)
Doug
Fargo, MI

jgoodhart

Thecfarm, do you work at the old Gates Plant? I think it's now Fiber Conversions.

thecfarm

Yes,I do.The fiber excursion part moved down from Eastport.That got moved down to SC when we got sold.Now we are Formed Fiber.How to you know all this from PA?
I got a call to report to work on Monday.I'll see how this week goes.

jgoodhart

I worked for Masland ind, Lear and was IAC at end Carlisle PA.the planted closed it's doors 12/12/08. Are companies back in the Masland day did a lot of business together.

thecfarm

I worked 2 weeks,back to back.First time since Dec.   ;D   We even made some GM parts.   ;D  Don't want to expect too much.I could get a call through the week.Projected sales again.They did bring 10 more people back,5 per crew.But,like I said,we'll see what happens on Monday.I did my old job and felt good to be that busy again just doing one job.

Polly

emerson elec put a column in the local paper they were laying off 60 people for a short time  someone said in the comment line he was helping load emersons machenery to ship to mexico    wonder how long a short time will reallb be   ;) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!