iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finally it has been found

Started by SW_IOWA_SAWYER, March 16, 2005, 11:55:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW_IOWA_SAWYER

I have been looking for a cache of Butternut logs for quite some time. I had a source in Michigan but wanted to try to find someplace closer. I made contact with someone who has several thousand bdft in log form 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
I see a road trip coming :D

If you have never tried Butternut it is a sweet wood a little on the soft side but it is quite easy to work and takes stain well and looks great.
I owe I owe so its off to work I go....

farmerdoug

SW_Iowa_Sawyer,

Where was your supplier in Michigan if I may ask? ???  Butternut is disappearing really fast as there is a disease that is wiping it out.  MSU does a survey every 25 years of forests to see what is their makeup and if it has changed.  In their last survey butternut was almost non existent.  The one before it was uncommon but found regularly.  They found out looking into it that the disease started in the 60's and now has killed most of the trees in this state. :(  But since it is of little value nobody cares I guess. ::)  I found this out as I am a member of the Michigan Nut Growers Assocaition and we deal with MSU faculty alot.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Jeff

We used to have three butternut trees on the farm in Midland county. They all died in the 80's.  Still quite a bit of hickory there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Paschale

Quote from: farmerdoug on March 16, 2005, 01:38:33 PM
I found this out as I am a member of the Michigan Nut Growers Assocaition and we deal with MSU faculty alot.

What kind of nuts do you guys grow here in Michigan?
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

I am sure farmerdoug will have a more complete list but I know there is walnuts, chestnuts, filbert to name a view commercial nuts.

SwampDonkey

I have 1 butternut and two black walnut on the back lawn. I have also been germinating butternut on my woodlot and back yard. On the farm we had butternut growing along our brooks that traversed between the cultivated fields. They seemed to be healthy, we always picked the nuts. We don't grow nuts commercially up this way.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Doc

We grow all kinds of nuts down here. There is even one nut that is wanting to build his own mill and go nuts making lumber.....oh wait....that's me!

So what do you do witha butternut? I never heard of those before. Of course I am sure there is alot I have never heard before coming here.

Doc

Jeff

Quote from: Doc on March 16, 2005, 05:18:43 PM
We grow all kinds of nuts down here.

Down where?! :D

Update your profile location and then put yourself on da members map! ;)

SwampDonkey

Butternut is used in furniture. I've seen it in alot of antique furniture in  my area. Ya never know what kinda wood went into some pieces because of the layers of old paint evryone thought they had to cover up the wood with. Butternut is also known as white walnut. It's light weight, rather soft, open grained and with olive brown heartwood. Of course the color turns when applying any finish to it. It's also quite resilent to decay. The nuts are not as round as walnut.

Other discussions on the forum
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6994.0

Flowers
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=6950.0

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

farmerdoug

Commcerially grown:

Black walnut
English walnut
Filbert
Chestnut
Hickorynut
Pecan
Heartnut

I have black walnuts, hickory nuts and have planted 40 chesnuts.
Black walnuts and hickory nuts have a small market in Michigan.  The big push is the chestnuts.  There is a few large growers with 500-1000 trees.  The Association even has a chestnut peeler from Itlay in Michigan now to process the chestnuts.  There is even a festival in the fall on the west side of the state too.  They are quite good.
Butternuts look like a black walnut but are shaped like a pecan.  As far as the taste I have not had a chance to try them as I have not found any yet.

The chestnuts grown today is a hybrid of the european and chinese chestnuts.  There is work on breeding blight resistance into the American chestnut though.  American chestnuts are the best tasting ones too.  When the white man came to North America the chestnut was one of the most common nut trees in the eastern half of he USA.  The timber was huge and the nuts were plentiful.  The nuts were collected and shipped back to Europe.  The lumber was used for everything as it was more common than oak.  In fact oak is what replaced the chestnuts.  There is many a house built out of chestnut in the Eastern USA.  The blight killed most of the chestnuts so fast they could not cut it all before it rotted. ::)
Doug
Fargo, MI

Gilman

I thought I head once that the chestnut trees accounted for approximately 80% of the timber on the east coast prior to them dying off.  Anyone else hear this?
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

ellmoe

I have read that it was the most commonly found species in the forest. However, I don't remember it being as high as 80%.
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

farmerdoug

I beleive the 80% is of nut producing trees only.  Still they were everywhere and American chestnut put most other woods to shame for appearance.  I wish they were still around today. :(
Doug
Fargo, MI

thecfarm

I have two butternut trees.These keep the squirrels busy in the fall. I did have a few more,but the chain saw got them when I was claiming the pasture back.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

There's two butternuts in my parents yard and one in Grandma's barnyard.  The nuts are good eating with a milder flavor than black walnuts.  At my cousins place in N.E. Wisconsin he still has a healthy butternut component in his woods. 8) 8) 8)   
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Riles

Just planted two chestnuts on the farm in NC. One is an American chestnut that the nursery claims came from stock that survived the blight. No promises, but you never know. The other is a Chinese chestnut hybrid that Auburn is working on to improve the flavor. Expensive twigs, hope they make it.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Thank You Sponsors!