iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Toughest man I ever knew

Started by Kansas, January 29, 2013, 12:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

Doubt any of you know him, but a logger by the name of Dean Picolet that logged mostly for us, plus a few others, died yesterday. He started logging when he was 16. He was 84 when he passed yesterday. They found him where they should have, in the timber. Heart attack. This after colon cancer surgery a few months ago. He told me a couple of years ago he figured he would have to retire in 10 years. Guess he got an early retirement. We did everything we could the last few years to keep him hauling logs, and not cutting them down. Still couldn't stop him from doing so. He went out doing what he loved most. May we all be so lucky.

Riggs

Quote from: Kansas on January 29, 2013, 12:20:15 PM
He went out doing what he loved most. May we all be so lucky.

Well said, sorry for your loss.
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

rooster 58

Sorry to hear of your loss kansas. I know the feeling, just lost a friend who had a widowmaker come down on his head and abdomen last Friday. He was 52 :o :(

rockman

Very sorry for the loss of you friend, prayers to his Family. At least he got to go out with his boots on....

Kevin
kioti ck-20 loader backhoe, box blade, disk, log arch
Husqvarna 455 rancher
Lincoln Ranger 10,000 welder

thecfarm

That cancer is bad stuff too. But his heart gave out first. At least he did not have to sit home and tell others how useless he felt. One of my Fathers friends could not do much the last few years of his life. Lucky him to be able at that age to work in the woods.
It is still hard to lose a good friend.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

John_Haylow

Sorry for the loss of your friend Kansas.

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Ianab

Sometimes with old guys like that it's the work that keeps them alive.

I bet if he'd been kicked out of the woods 10 years ago he would have been dead within a year.

84 is still a good age, and he was obviously still fit enough to be out there doing what he loved.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Sad to hear Kansas and Rooster They are in a far better place now

Quote from: Ianab on January 29, 2013, 03:04:39 PM
Sometimes with old guys like that it's the work that keeps them alive.

I bet if he'd been kicked out of the woods 10 years ago he would have been dead within a year.

I have seen that a lot with retired farmers who move to town in their 70's and 80's
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Thank You Sponsors!