iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie from Delaware County Pennsylvania

Started by jfastman, January 07, 2013, 04:52:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfastman

Good afternoon fellow wood nuts. I am a new member of the FF as of today. I have caught the bug to saw my own lumber for my woodshop. I was just in Baltimore over last weekend attending the Woodworking Show there. I've had my eye on some different "hobby mills" and started searching the forum for input regarding which brand to go with. At this point, I'm really leaning towards the Woodland Mills saw. It fits my budget and space limitations at this point in time. One thing I'd like to be able to do first is gain some first hand experience working around a mill before I pull the trigger. If some free labor sounds like a great idea, please let me know if anyone in my area would be willing to allow me to come to your site and get dirty.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Do you live in Maryland?
You can use the member search at the top and search for members that live in your area.
There's is a lot of people on here with mills they use for hobbies and woodworking.

Welcome to the Forum J.

P.S. Come on down to South Carolina. It's a little warmer down here.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jfastman and I wish you the best with whichever sawmill that you choose.  Your input and questions are also very welcome.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

jfastman,welcome to the forum. WDH is doing that in GA.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DbltreeBelgians

Welcome to the forum jfastman from another newbie. Just as you, I caught the bug too. Gotta love it!

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF Dbletreebelgians and jfastman! 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

dboyt

Welcome to the forum.  You're doing the right thing by wanting to check out a mill before you buy it.  There are a number of sawmill manufacturers that sponsor the forum, and it will be worthwhile to click on the links to visit their web sites.  If you consider southwest Missouri to be "in your area", drop me a line,and we'll slice up some logs!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Leigh Family Farm

There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

jfastman

Thanks for the warm welcome!  Kilgrosh, I'm in Media, PA.

GrampawGriz

Welcome to the forum, fellow newbies. I'm in Butler, PA, myself. ☺

God bless,

Griz

Lko67

Welcome aboard jfastman from another pa Sawyer (central pa)

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Gagnon Mountain

Run away now before you buy!!

I did the same as you.  I looked online at all the different hobby mills, and finally settled on the Woodmizer lt15go, almost doubling my original budget.  Glad I did though.  Even now, part of my wishes I had bought an even more expensive machine.

I was very fortunate to be able to spend a day with some amazing sawyers, read through the "Well" thread started by Bruno.  I learned more in that one day than I would have in a month on my own. 

Tony

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: jfastman on January 09, 2013, 03:19:14 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!  Kilgrosh, I'm in Media, PA.
Nice. I used to live in Media/Brookhaven. Now I am up in Conshy. 
Annnnnnd....I just realized you replied 5 years ago... :D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

flyboy16101

Wood-mizer Lt35, International 504 w/ loader, Hough HA Payloader, Stihl Ms290, Ms660, LogRite Cant Hook

Sawmill Man

The last time jfastman was on forum was in 2016
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

Brad_bb

Nahhhh!  Just get a mill and start cutting.  You'll learn better that way I think because most other operators aren't going to let you run their mill unless they are specifically teaching you.  I learned just by doing and using the experience on this forum to solve issues and find better or more efficient ways of doing things on the mill.  Welcome!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Tramp Bushler

If your not wearing your hard hat when you need it. Well.

Thank You Sponsors!