iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder tires

Started by MICKEY108, January 14, 2015, 09:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

Does 28lx26 tiresgo better than 23.1x26?

kiko

The more air the more float.  They will also stretch the gears.

treeslayer2003

depends on how heavy your machine is. i had 34s on a 666 clark, i saw little difference in float but much better getting around with 28s.

MICKEY108

Its a 518 cat grapple 10.5 tons I guess iwork in steep terrain its got 28lx26s I was just wondering if 23.1x26 would go better

teakwood

The 26s are surely alot cheaper.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Gadrock

both tires are approximately 64.5 inches in diameter, so their apparent shadow on the ground is the same except the 28L gives more flotation because it is wider.

28Lx26 is marginal tire for us here in the SOUTH

It is a low profile compared to some of the others that are about 74 to 79 inches tall, allowing tree harvesters a tighter turning radius and ability to snuggle up another tree while cutting a different one.

Then the narrower tire allows much tighter work zones.

Many machines have swing limiters to keep the angles from coming so close together that front and rear tires would rub when in a sharp turn. Many times the closeness that a harvester can operate is because the hydraulic turning is blocked to keep from ruining these tires.

In our world where there are very few frozen days but many muddy days the amount of flotation is necessary to carry big heavy trees to the twitch.

Good luck on your decision.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

treeslayer2003

Gadrock, i get what yer sayin about float.......we have many different soil types here, clay will float well with fat tires, however i don't see much difference in saturated sand......they will all sink. when it gets that bad i move. the guys in the southern shore where its mostly clay run fat rubber......they mostly clearcut also.

Ohio_Bill

This is question, not a statement. Doesn't rim width determine tire size ?
The reason im asking is i have 23.1 and would like to have 18.4
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Ohio_Bill on January 15, 2015, 12:15:22 PM
This is question, not a statement. Doesn't rim width determine tire size ?
The reason im asking is i have 23.1 and would like to have 18.4
yes, you would need rims as well

Gadrock

Google the tire people to get the specs. So far I have only seen certain rims and rim sizes to match certain tires.

So what or where is the difference

Some tires are used on one-piece rims. This is similar to tractors that do dirt work as well as back hoe type machines.

Some are two-piece rim, which may support tubeless tires via a rubber ring or tube-type or tubeless with tubes installed.

These larger sizes are for the professional tire changer people. If you as an individual are changing a skidder tire then your day will be a difficult one.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Thank You Sponsors!