iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225 np435 jammed

Started by mf40diesel, November 08, 2016, 08:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mf40diesel

And yet another question....  pulled a couple turns with my 225 today, my main tranny got jammed in 2nd gear...  got it back to the barn and pulled the top cover off...  never really messed with trannies; however I think the problem is actually the lever or the mechanism right where the lever attaches to the forks.

The tranny looks okay, to me.  The forks do as well and are not too sloppy, however the actual gear shifter is sloppy as one can be. Like huge sloppy and it would pop out of 1/3 before it jammed.

Does that sound possible? Does any place sell a rebuild kit for the linkage?

Thank you
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

ohiowoodchuck

If it's a 435 popping out of 3rd was a common problem and I believe the fork is bent. There is away to weld up the shifter stub and fix some of the slop. I'll see if I can find the video.
Education is the best defense against the media.

mf40diesel

Thank you for the info. Got the cover off, and even on my bench I can't get the forks to move. Well, more specifically I can move one of the forks, but I cannot move The other more that just to wiggle it. It's like the poppet is locking it from moving.

Pulled the shifter off, the pins that hold the shifter in were pretty wallowed out.

I'm thinking about ordering the top cover rebuild kit, new nylon guides and the shifter rebuild kit. Like $63 for all.

Seem like a good idea?
John Deere 5055e, mfwd. Farmi JL306 Winch. Timberjack 225 Skidder. Splitfire splitter & Stihl saws.

bushmechanic

Are you sure that it's a np 435 and not a np 440?

mf40diesel

No I'm not sure. That's the one I thought it was. Seems I thought I saw that in y manual.

Either way, Davco which is up the road from me is going to rebuild the whole top cover and remachine the shifter bottom/ball. They have said no more than $300 to do the job. I feel like I'm excited about that.

pinefeller

try www.novak-adapt.com .

i bought a rebuilt 435 from Novak about 10 years ago for my pickup. looks better and works better than any 435 ive ever shifted. they also sell rebuild kits and even new shifter sticks. even if its not a 435 i bet they could get your parts.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

ohiowoodchuck

A little late but here is the video where a guy fixes the shifter on a sm465 which I believe the shifter set ups are the same as a np435 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXIND3xn1xs

pinefeller

Im a total scrooge when it comes to spending $  but....Some times its just easier to get the right parts. also depends on your abilities and resources though take it to a trans shop and have them go through it. sounds like a bent fork and junk top cover. probably less than $500 bucks should get it rebuilt. thats about 6k less than a deere tranny lol. good luck.
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

mf40diesel

So something interesting was noticed by Davco...  the guy told me that the top cover should still have the third fork rail on the top, even if the reverse fork is not present. Apparently the rail is there to hold the poppet, detent springs etc...  if this is true this explains why the skidder wouldn't stay in gear without the bungee cord, as there is no spring/detent at all.

However he has told me to inspect the tranny to ensure that the spring/ball and other metal components are not swimming around in the bottom of my tranny. Based on the gears that I can see, I don't believe they have eaten anything metal, there is no way for the rail to come out unless the cover isn't removed. So my hunch is whenever it was last opened, the rail wasn't reinstalled, and therefore not the spring/poppet either.

Either way, I'm excited for it to be rebuilt and reinstalled!

Just thought I'd share.

pinefeller

Just a little tip on putting the top cover back on.. drain the tranny and clean the mounting surfaces including all the tapped holes in the case,  top cover and bolts  with brakekleen (the good stuff in the red can) and blow out everything dry with compressed air. no oil residue. make sure the trans is in N (you may have to play with the dogs inside the trans if anything got bumped) then dry fit the top and make sure it fits down nice and flush to the case make sure top cover sits down nice and flat without the gasket. if that checks out assemble for real with the gasket and use black rtv silicone liberaly on the threads of the top cover bolts. make sure they all have a lock washer on them and gently in a crisscross pattern pull the top cover down until you feel the bolts bottom out, you shouldnt have to kill them..just snug you'll feel it. wait a couple of hours for the rtv to dry before refilling with 80/90wt just the regular stuff not synthetic.  If the top doesnt sit nice and flat (from overambitious  tightening on the case )then you will need to rtv the top of the case, install the gasket and then rtv again on top of the gasket before installing the top cover. a little goes a long way on the rtv. this will hopefully save you from annoying gear oil leaks in the future.

if the trans just happens to be out of the machine at this point look in the bellhousing and see of there is gear oil splattered in there around the clutch plate (should be dry and a little dusty in there) if it looks wet do the front seal in the input shaft while your there Its cheap and easy to do if your that far in. dont forget to check the throw out bearing and grease up the input shaft collar before plopping the trans back in. take you time and good luck.

mf40diesel

Pinefeller, thanks very much for the good tips. I can't wait to get the top back, and I really hope that it was the problem....  I've got a lot of wood to get out!

Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

mf40diesel

So I need more help.... please.

Got the cover back, rebuilt. Looks beautiful, several broken springs and at least one detent ball was stove up.

Got it home this afternoon, couldn't shift it at all on my work bench, but figured it was due to the awkwardness of holding it/long shift lever...  so I figured I'd put it on the tranny. Lined it up and got it on. Still can't shift. Jammed in the same gear.

I know it's not the tranny itself. I can move the synchronizers by hand. It's all the top cover. Or at least I think it is. I have confidence in the company that rebuilt it...  plus the guy shifted it on his bench...  I know that I can't shift it all though.

Any thoughts?  Please I need to pull some wood

ohiowoodchuck

Is it jammed between the shifter rails at the stub. Should be able to pull the stub out and take a screwdriver and shift all the rails. Does the 435 have a certain way the shifter has to be to bolt on the transmission. I know some of the older four speeds had to be half way between reverse and neutral to bolt the tower on the tranny. You could force it and it would jam up or bend the fork.

pinefeller

ive done this before too on a pickup. play with all the clusters in the tranny with the top cover off, make sure its in neutral and the output spins freely, (put t-case in N if the driveshaft is in)probably have a cluster engaged and  a fork is jammed on the wrong side. it takes a little finnagleing just dont force it. it should flop together when you find the right spot

mf40diesel

And it did flop right together!  Than you so much fellas. The shifter was stuck between the rails so to speak.

Back together, works mint! 

Had her out in the woods the other day. Picked up 8" of snow yesterday, time to throw my chains and get to work.

Thank you very much guys

Thank You Sponsors!