iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

I wasn't planning on sawing anything until we get back from the Pig Roast but....

My backyard neighbor called, "do you want the logs from an Oak tree that I am having removed?"  Well yes, "I'm on my way".

A 36"+ butt Water Oak coming down.

The lower ~8' was hollow so it got "jump butted" making the butt log 29", both 12' logs.

I moved the sawmill & trailer and depending upon a Grandson Tailgunner, am ready to saw Saturday morning.  I plan to saw it all into lumber for barn restoration on my property, primarily 2X12's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Now you will have to saws em and stacks em too. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sheepkeeper

Quote from: Magicman on July 26, 2018, 07:20:19 PM
I moved the sawmill & trailer and depending upon a Grandson Tailgunner, am ready to saw Saturday morning.  I plan to saw it all into lumber for barn restoration on my property, primarily 2X12's.
In this case you saws 'em and keeps 'em  :D
The hurry-er I go the behind-er I get.

Magicman

It's funny that I can see my sawmill out of my Sun Room window as I sit here.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Magicman on July 26, 2018, 07:59:03 PM
It's funny that I can see my sawmill out of my Sun Room window as I sit here.   ;D
Don't get to likin it too good...next thing you know....Magicman sawmill shed build thread  ;D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Larry

More 2-1/2" thick live edge slabs, 27 to be exact. Couple of mantles. All good red oak logs in the 20 - 26" class.

Most of the slabs are too heavy for me to pick up. I usually slab down to the pith than rotate the log with the two plane clamp/chain turner so the slabs slide onto the loader arms where I pluck them out with the forklift. Than I rotate 180 and slab down to the bed. I can either slide those slabs off or lift them with the toe boards high enough for the forklift to reach them. I usually raise with the toe boards.

Next cut is for a 4 X 16" live edge on one side mantle. When the mantle is a long ways from the pith the live edge is angled. Close to the pith and the live edge is square. A design feature that needs to be discussed with the customer.

The second rotation with the slabs ready to be plucked with the forklift.

I've been sawing a lot of slabs for three months now. I love it, production is really high with very little waste. The rage is river tables and the more cracks in the slabs the better the customer likes em.  I logged big white oak last week. Got some ugly top logs with too many knots for lumber and I won't even fight them on the log splitter. I think I'm going to slab em and see what I can sell

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Chuck White

Yesterday my Niece and I sawed three "one live-edge" 5x24x8 out of a 38" second up the tree log!

Pallet forks are your friend, and the customer had a set ready!

Added up to 80 board-feet per slab!

Tough to handle, had to put a 1" piece on top of each of the end bunks and slide the cant toward the operators side to get the 24".

Happy customer!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I am thinking that I will probably throw a couple of live edged slabs off and see what the DIL might want to do with them.  I am not in the "selling" business, but it would be neat if she could develop a market.

Crossroads

Went for a 2:31 min. Drive this morning starting at 4:00 am to saw some live edge maple slabs 

Customer had them laying out just right

Found a little spalting 

And some more color 

Some of it has a lot of stress and was cracked on several directions. A few of them even split full length, but the customer wasn't fazed. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Crossroads

Tomorrow I get to sleep in, then will be milling some oak ay my place. The tail gunner won't be here until 8:00, but I have a order for 700 bf of blocking of various sizes and 12" long. I hare making a mess on my lace, but sometimes ya gotta do what needs done.....

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

longtime lurker

Back in from out in the weeds playing logging contractors and the third order of business is some therapy for my battered soul, if not my bloody soles. It was a tough trip, and my new boots i left with - same everything as the last 10 pairs or more - were not so comfy to me.

Anyways

For something different I too did some live edge slabs, got about a dozen off the log. And I laid him offset so I got a pretty straight run through the barrel and a bend at the end rather then getting more figure but a waist shape had I attacked him conventionally. Still nice enough anyway - couple of the bigger ones were pushing 36" at the narrow point.

Queensland Maple - Flindersia brayleyana
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

Busysawyer

Working on sawing these trees so I can feed my mill and my addiction to sawdust.  Playing logger for a few days. These are some big trees, most I'm having to cut from both sides with a 47in bar on the stihl 880. The big one for today was 62in on the widest part and 51in on the narrowest. That's not counting crotches, just trunk. The first crotch on this tree was nearly 8 foot before the split.  

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Magicman

Looks like you have found a fix for your addiction.  

chep

@Busysawyer
Are you selling the butts off those trees or sawing them? From the looks they would go veneer pretty easy. Not sure how much $ you sell your lumber for but those logs are worth $$

Brad_bb

Busysawyer, nice stuff.  Don't let anything go to waste.  I saw 10- 14" straight or curved two sides flat into 6.5" timber frame braces.  I saw 8-13" dia straight or curved two sides flat for timber frame braces 4.5 inches thick (the 1/2 inch is so I can plane down to 4" after a year).  Stuff smaller than that I saw into 2.5-3.5" thick two sides flat for live edge railings.  Another trick is to let the bark dry on the Walnut live edge.  Then in a year go back and remove it with a draw knife. Then sand enough just so it's smooth to the touch and apply a coat of clear shellac.  Give a good zerbra effect with the remaining bark paper. I use a Triton Superjaws XXL to hold live edges in place while we draw knife and sand.  A great tool.  
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Crossroads

Dang! Those are some big walnut,have fun....

Crossroads

Cut some oak blocks yesterday, it was a bit sad to butcher these slabs up, but a bird in the hand, is better than 2 in the bush...

I did save out one piece to try to sell as a mantle. It's 4 3/4"x13"x8' and I have no idea how to price it. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

Southside

If it's the one in the first picture I would say $5 maybe $10 if you deliver it to me.
:D  :D  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

Some of that grain looks confused Crossroads.   smiley_dizzy

My Grandson Tailgunners showed up and were ready to go to work this morning.

They quickly set the Logrites into the first Red Oak log.

Three hours later the logs were sawn and they were sweat wet.

Front and back.  We all three had to change into dry shirts.   

Yup, I got a nice trailer load of mostly 2X12's with a few 10's & 8's to be used to renovate the barn on my property.

And then there was some live edged bookmatched stuff.

These might make end tables or something.

Just some live edged slabs some 6/4 and some 9/4.  The DIL will put them on "Marketplace" or somewhere and see if she gets a nibble.     

Crossroads

Quote from: Southside logger on July 28, 2018, 05:05:35 PM
If it's the one in the first picture I would say $5 maybe $10 if you deliver it to me.
:D  :D  :D
I'd hate to take advantage of you like that, I mean , I'm not trying to retire off that one mantle. Oh wait, yes I am 🤪
Dang you really worked those boys Lynn!

Magicman

Actually they work harder to keep me from working hard.  If I reach to do something, they will outreach me and say, "I've got it".  They are two of the best.   smiley_thumbsup

The oldest, Ben on the right now has one week's service working at our Georgia Pacific paper mill.  Luke on the left is a sophomore in high school and is our youngest Grandchild.

pineywoods

DanG, Magic, You train them well. We hav3 about that age, don't know how to do anything but play video games, AND not much interested in learning..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Magicman

Actually there may have been some growing pains, but the training credit goes to Marty. 

They have really grown since this picture was taken when we were painting property lines.  Now the shortest is the tallest and I am now the shortest.

Crossroads

I hope he has a long healthy career with GP. I had a lot of good years there, before the changes, good management is everything......

PA_Walnut

Quote from: pineywoods on July 28, 2018, 08:24:43 PMWe hav3 about that age, don't know how to do anything but play video games, AND not much interested in learning..

My 15 year old son is that way too. HOWEVER, I notice within a 1/2 hour at the mill (when I make him do it) his entire demeanor changes and he becomes much more pleasant, asks questions, and within a few hours he's like a completely different kid. It would be a terrible tragedy is his computer and Xbox had a "lightning strike" and neither continued to work! :o

He helped me with some EXCELLENT curly hard maple yesterday. Takes a while when squeezing the best/most from a log with treasures like this. Quartered as much as I could for instruments, but cutting it 90 produced great figure also. I've noted it discussed here that quartering curly creates better figure. It's more consistent and instrument makers seek it, but the figure is usually more "busy" flat sawn. See below.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!