iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw Chains Are Brand Names That Much Better ?

Started by Gearbox, February 06, 2018, 09:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

I've never really bought any but I have a few that came with stuff .They seem to be okay .I just never delved into them because I assumed they would be over priced .--But I've been wrong before .
Now I could mention some good files I got from a former sponsor on this site but they are not so  I will not . ;)--nice guy Al.--nor will I visit the site they do sponsor .Okay I'll shut up  8)

DelawhereJoe

From a Sugihara website
"On the single piece pro and light type bars the hardness of the rails is measured at HRC 60. Compare this to Stihl at HRC 57 and Oregon at HRC 55 and it is clear why these bars last longer. They are so hard they resist most flat files when it comes to bar dressing." And they make 1/4" saw chsin too.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Gearbox

Climer2 why are you running a skip chain on a short bar ? I would think on a 24 inch bar a chisel chain sharp would do more than a skip . Or you need more power . Just today I had to dress my bar for the processer . Took all of 15 min. on the bar dresser .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

climber2

Quote from: Gearbox on February 13, 2018, 05:53:07 PM
Climer2 why are you running a skip chain on a short bar ? I would think on a 24 inch bar a chisel chain sharp would do more than a skip . Or you need more power . Just today I had to dress my bar for the processer . Took all of 15 min. on the bar dresser .

I use semi skip for a couple reasons. One is it takes less time to sharpen when I inevitably dull it in a rotten tree it find something special like a fencepost or tire iron in an old trunk.  Second is the fact that less teeth allow the engine rpm to stay higher when buried in a cut. Without the saw dogging, especially if the edge isn't quite perfect, I find The saw cutting faster using semiskip.
As far as saw size, I'm using it on husqvarna 372xps and a 562xp
Timber Harvester 36htd25, 06 Ram 2500 5.9, 95 Chev 3500hd, 445ct Bobcat w/ Wallenstein winch, Bandit 200+, Morbark M12r, Countless chainsaws...

Skeans1

Semi skip square chisel will cut faster then then full comp or full skip since you can normally go up a sprocket size, run a slightly more aggressive grind, and lower rakers without all the vibrations of full skip. Normally anything over 105 drivers or when running 063 I use semi skip mainly for speed as well as chip clean out in oversized cuts where you're chasing out a face or under cut.

slider

AL-Smith  I concur . No hard feelings but I chose to trade some where else.
al glenn

Spike60

The new Oregon EXL chain has proven to be a smash hit with my customers. Even converted a couple guys that were using Stihl chain; and that wasn't possible with the LGX. Husky has a new chain coming out in the summer, but it will have to equal or better the EXL and Stihl chains because it could be priced $5-$7 more per loop than the Oregon made H48 chain they are selling now.

Lot of my serious guys run the sugi-hara bars. We also sold Total/Tsumura, but when Tilton went away we dropped them. Reaction to the Sugi's is far more impressive and the tips in the Totals didn't last for guys who bore cut every tree. Sugi tips are great.

The off brand Asian chains like Forester, Silver Streak, etc are pretty much junk. Way too much stretch, couple cutters on most loops that cannot be filed at all, poor out of the box sharpness. And there isn't even any savings with these cheap chains; just a few bucks a loop? Even for the personal firewood cutter, they make little sense.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!